An online International community modelling outdoor and or garden railways where all scales and gauges are welcome. This forum is funded entirely through voluntary contributions by its members. Many thanks to all those whose funding keeps it going.
At last we had a break from the rain and I was able to test the cooling fans for the first time in use. The fans appear to be effective. After the run, (the tankful was consumed after 17 minutes) fans were left running for a while, and the cylinder head was just warm. The bonnet / hood rattled at times. From analysis after the run, I found that the motor was running 30% too fast, and the loco was doing about 6.5 scale MPH.
Last edited by dewintondave on Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
A while ago I bought a small LED torch/Flashlight on eBay. I thought I'd use it for the headlight, but it was rather small. I've just finished converting it to use as the rear light for shunting and reverse running.
Here's what I bought:
I'm just using the LED, reflector, and bezel. This was a single AA cell torch. Interestingly there is a small PCBA that steps up the voltage to 3.7 V. I'm not going to use it as I'll be using the blowers 12 V supply with a step-down module.
This light is very bright, and a cold white. But it responds well to the PWM dimmer. The wiring still needs arranging.
Last edited by dewintondave on Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Finally, I have started painting. I bought a benchtop convection oven, on special offer, to bake the paint after initial drying. The setting I'm using is 90 deg C for one hour. The paint is coming out nice and hard.
Because I'm not using an undercoat, the red is coming out quite a nice dark shade
Last edited by dewintondave on Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
I've started to dismantle the chassis one side frame at a time so as not to disturb everything too much. I'm only going to paint the outside of the frames. First thing is to fill all those excess holes that were used in the earlier set-ups. I've used small slices of 1/8" K&S brass bar to fill the holes and slots, soft soldering over them and smoothing it off.
Last edited by dewintondave on Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.