Narrow Gauge Heillmann?

A place for discussing diverse methods of powering locomotives, such as Internal Combustion, Wind, etc...
SapperAnt
Fireman
Fireman

Narrow Gauge Heillmann?

Post by SapperAnt » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:22 am

Ive been reading about the Heilmann Locomotives in France and I was wondering whether such a thing would work in 16mm?

A high speed steam unit powering a dynamo connected to an electric motor...bascialy.

TommyDodd
Fireman
Fireman

Post by TommyDodd » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:22 am

You're not the only one. In fact, there are two people working on 16mm versions that I know of, Barry Reeves (late of Pilgrim Loco Works- suppliers of live diesel-electrics to sixteen-millers) and Mike Dockery (who makes bendy engines with lots of wheels). Still and video evidence has been seen on the 16mmngm e-group, though nothing for a while. The story so far is that the wheels turn on blocks, but the whole thing is very marginal for power.
Well, now we know the buffer-stops work! (Heard at 2013 "Longest Day" solstice steamup)

SapperAnt
Fireman
Fireman

Post by SapperAnt » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:08 pm

Yeah the low power issue was one that I was concerned with. Most electric chassis run on a fairly low voltage but the weight of a boiler and engine unit are probably more than most can cope with, unless you had two powered bogies with the boiler etc slung in between but then the weight wouldnt be on the driving wheels for adhesion.

The basic concept is fine. It would work. but the practice is the thing........HMNMMMMMMMMMMMM

MikeDoc
Cleaner
Cleaner

Narrow Gauge Heillmann?

Post by MikeDoc » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:19 am

> ...there are two people working on 16mm versions that I know of, Barry Reeves (late of Pilgrim Loco Works- suppliers of live diesel-electrics to sixteen-millers) and Mike Dockery (who makes bendy engines with lots of wheels). Still and video evidence has been seen on the 16mmngm e-group, though nothing for a while. The story so far is that the wheels turn on blocks, but the whole thing is very marginal for power.

My Heilmann is yet to be steamed although it is intended to be at next year's 16mm AGM (I'm currently finishing the artwork for the various grilles and louvres). I don't envisage any shortage of power since it features a 2 1/2" boiler with 2 gas burners in a common flue, a V8 steam motor, 2 large Escap coreless motors as generators, and 8 RG7s diving the Do-Do bogies through spur gears. The coreless motors and spur gears should give low power losses/good conversion efficiencies.
Cheers, Mike Dockery.
If some wheels are good, then having more is better, and too many should be just enough.

INJIN
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by INJIN » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:45 pm

It's been a long time comin' & I'm really looking forward to seeing it completed.

I for one have no doubts about the perfomance of your model & I look forard to you running it on my line next year.

Cheers

Keith

Annie
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Annie » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:07 am

What has Reality done for you lately?