Anton's Live Diesel Locomotive

A place for discussing diverse methods of powering locomotives, such as Internal Combustion, Wind, etc...
Anton Richards
Cleaner
Cleaner

Anton's Live Diesel Locomotive

Post by Anton Richards » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:32 pm

Hi

My name is Anton Richards and for the last year i have been working on a 32mm live diesel shunter locomotive. As i can see on this forum, there is a fair bit of interest. I am currently part of the "Continental garden trains" forum and have posted many pages on the build process of this locomotive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6RCl-qapJM

The link to my latest video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6RCl-qa ... ideo_title

I will post further pictures and videos shortly...
Last edited by Anton Richards on Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Live Diesel Locomotives by Anton Richards

Crackingjob
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Crackingjob » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:56 am

Interesting line...we started with Hornby Tin plate...need to treat it inside as well as out to prevent rust...it lasts for years

We did try to fit normal rail but it was not successful

As for photos...click 'Attach File' below your text box when you reply
click browse and find your photo and attach...the box takes time to appear so be paitent.

Crackingjob

Anton Richards
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Anton Richards » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:24 am

Yes, i found out to my expense that it rusts almost instantly, as well as the fact that due to it being made of tin, it bends and ruptures very easily as well, and it was actually very difficult making the video as 'SHUNT' kept derailing.

I am desperately trying to fins somewhere on someone who wouldn't mind me coming and trying out on there railiway, either 32mm or 45mm as it has adjustable wheels, as i just cannot really run it on mine.

A local club, "The North London Society of Model Engineers", has a gauge 1 track and i had been contacting them asking if i could bring it along, but apparently its to noisy...i know its not for everyone this kind of thing, but for a large outdoor railway such as theres i though that a bit strange.

So if there is anyone who wouldnt mind a live diesel being run on there track and they live close to Hertfordshire, then please let me know. :)

And thanks for the info on photos btw, as its always the simplest things that seem to be confusing and difficult.

Pretoria
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Pretoria » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:31 am

:hello2:

Not my scene, but power to your elbow(s) ! Excellent to see someone try something different. How about a silencer ?

I presume "Shunt" is a diesel electric ? With the engine driving a dc dynamo powering a traction motor via electronic speed control ?

:wave:

Anton Richards
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Anton Richards » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:23 pm

Thank you :)

Yes a silencer would be a good idea, but to be honest, i have tried different things and to really quieten it down enough i need more room which in Shunt, there is none. Whereas the Warship diesel i am currently working on has allot more room and i am experimenting with different forms of silencer.

And yes it is a 'Diesel Electric'. the generator motor also acts as the starter motor as you can see from the video. This particular machine doesn't use a ESC, instead it uses a variable voltage regulator, so this machine is not RC.

The Warship, has a receiver and speed controller and is 100% remote control.

Regards
Anton

DaveWatkins
Cleaner
Cleaner

Live Diesel

Post by DaveWatkins » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:56 pm

Anton,

Thanks for sharing the videos. I do like the way your loco truindles slowly round your line. You inspired me to give my live diesel loco an airing this afternoon.

See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkF5v6-0s6E
Dave

Anton Richards
Cleaner
Cleaner

Re: Live Diesel

Post by Anton Richards » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:11 am

DaveWatkins:58446 wrote:Anton,

Thanks for sharing the videos. I do like the way your loco truindles slowly round your line. You inspired me to give my live diesel loco an airing this afternoon.

See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkF5v6-0s6E
Hi Dave

I know ive contacted you a few times asking different things about the live diesel concept.

im glad i inspired you, and thank you, but as you said, slowly, and that is the trouble with the track I have, it has to be very slow otherwise 'Shunt' just derails, as i have found when i made one of the first videos and it shot straight off the elevated track and flew into a flower bed.

I love the video by the way (gave it a thumbs up on your account :D ), and it seems very quite? You can definitely hear the mechanical drive inside, especially when it starts off, as i can see it jumps forward/backward, but as i said, i love the loco.

I must say, i know what a pain it is having a pull start on these locos as it has a tendency to flood, then lock up the pull cord and you end up flinging the loco into the air...

Is that your railway by the way?

Further videos of shunt, some illustrating the frustration with my layout...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DzOyErdUhw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQqon2nXuwU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAjCrVhHHtE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpl3Eq-wfoE

Regards
Anton

Sir Clothem Cap
Driver
Driver

Post by Sir Clothem Cap » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:50 am

The quick way of doing a test track is to lay a straight track with no points and tight curves. even tinplate track that you have is fine in a straight line and peco sm32 flexitrack can be brought from ebay cheaper than buying new. if you were local then I'd have no problems with letting you experiment on my track but distance stops that.

DaveWatkins
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by DaveWatkins » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:24 am

Hi Anton

Yes, that is my railway. You would be very welcome to run your loco here. Is Wolverhampton too far away?

Dave
Dave

Anton Richards
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Anton Richards » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:35 am

Sir Clothem Cap (Bryan)

Yes you are right, i should have built a much more straight forward track, but as you do, i got carried away a little as there was a little space at the back of the garden. And thank you, im starting to see how welcoming many people are and its really nice to hear that people i dont even know, wouldnt mind me using there railway. So thank you :)

Dave, i love the railway, i looked on AA maps and its about a 110 mile drive, which is very tempting, and one day i would love to come down to your track, as i would love to see your loco and run on your railway, and im sure a video of both of our locos running on your track would go down very well :)

Anton Richards
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Anton Richards » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:07 pm

This is the latest vidoe of 3 live diesel locomotives all running on the same line. Its a world first i believe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AC2o335F ... ideo_title

Please like the video and comment

nigelwinesmith
New User
New User

Test track

Post by nigelwinesmith » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:42 pm

Hi Anton,

I am new to this forum so I'm not sure if you have found anywhere to test your locos. I am just north of Aylesbury in Bucks and have a garden line in 45mm part elevated to waist height and partly at ground level with generally level track. The are no neighbours within 100 metres so the noise is unlikely to be a problem.

I have yearned for a disel powered loco for some time but I am not confident with the wiring so have not yet actually made a start. Perhaps your example will inspire me.
Nigel Smith
Manor Fields Vineyard

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:59 pm

I'm surprised that no-one else has asked, but what's that timber umder your track Anton, Deck ? ;)

Pendo Pilot
Driver
Driver

Post by Pendo Pilot » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:16 pm

Narrow Minded:65272 wrote:I'm surprised that no-one else has asked, but what's that timber umder your track Anton, Deck ? ;)
OMG Gregg, thats just terrible.. LOL!! :shock: ;) ;)
Tommy Dodd may have an ARS key but I have a TASS button & a Rope Ladder, just like pirates, except the TASS button bit.

Narrow Minded
Driver
Driver

Post by Narrow Minded » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:23 pm

Pendo Pilot:65275 wrote:
Narrow Minded:65272 wrote:I'm surprised that no-one else has asked, but what's that timber umder your track Anton, Deck ? ;)
OMG Gregg, thats just terrible.. LOL!!  :shock:  ;)  ;)
Sorry :oops: It's the voices in my head that made me do it! :lol:

Anton Richards
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Anton Richards » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:27 am

Hi Nigel

I would love the opportunity to come and run SHUNT on your line one day, and i go to university in buckinghamshire, (high wycombe), so your not that far from me. So if thats a formal invitiation, then i would love to accept sometime :)

As far as the electrics are concerned, it can be as straight forward or as complex as you want, depending on whether you want it to be manual control, radio control, electric start etc.

And yes, your correct, it is DECKING underneath the track, as it was the easiest thing to source and would last outside. :)

Anton Richards
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Anton Richards » Fri May 18, 2012 4:08 pm

Please look at the two new videos of shunt hauling his first train...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RbiuP1vVsw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxbXX-u5W04

Please like and comment :D

DaveWatkins
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by DaveWatkins » Fri May 18, 2012 5:34 pm

I like it. Nice to see it hauling a train.
Dave

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Fri May 18, 2012 8:47 pm

Glad to see that you found somewhere to run the loco properly :)
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by invicta280 » Fri May 18, 2012 11:12 pm

You must have the gearing about right. It hauls a good load at a steady speed. Excellent.