grs hunslet

A place for discussing battery-electric locomotives, whether they're diesel, steam or even electric outline
mightymax
Cleaner
Cleaner

grs hunslet

Post by mightymax » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:28 am

hi everyone. has anyone ever built the grs quarry hunslet. the info on their web site is vague . is the chasis for it battery powered? is it actually 32mm. easy to build? even better if anyone has photos of theirs. thanks.

Kubes
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Kubes » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:41 pm

Hi! I've got the cabbed version to build when I get the time. The kit seems fairly straightforward but I suspect it will take a bit of work and upgrading of parts to get a really good result as some parts are a little crude. As far as fitting batteries and r/c are concerned you'll be on your own as the instructions don't cover this. The chassis is ready to run. There have been two build articles in Garden Rail and in the 16mm Association mag which are really useful and which demonstrate just how nice these kits can build up. All in all they are good value but not a throw together job I think. Good luck! Kubes

Gralyn
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Gralyn » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:11 pm

My version is the cabbed one too.

A Quick Video

https://youtu.be/hZ3vji-F984

You have to specify the chassis you want 32mm or 45mm.

Mine has 10 1.2v NiMh AA cells in the saddle tank area and uses Deltang RC which will fit almost anywhere. Eariler I did manage to squeeze in a standard 2.4 ghz Rx and motor speed controller.
Regards Graham.

mightymax
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by mightymax » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:28 pm

Nice vid. Sorry iam after 32mm.

Kubes
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Kubes » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:36 pm

GRS do rtr chassis in 32mm as well as 45mm and coming from O gauge 7mm scale I have to say that the GRS 32mm chassis seems reasonably priced and looks OK. Worth a punt in my opinion!

Gralyn
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Gralyn » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:10 pm

mightymax:111791 wrote:Nice vid. Sorry iam after 32mm.
The loco and wagons are 32 mm. I re-wheeled the Newquida wagons.
Regards Graham.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:09 pm

Gralyn:111784 wrote:My version is the cabbed one too.
Mine has 10 1.2v NiMh AA cells in the saddle tank area and uses Deltang RC which will fit almost anywhere. Eariler I did manage to squeeze in a standard 2.4 ghz Rx and motor speed controller.
Looks smart. I have a cabbed version too, running on an LGB ToyTrain chassis. At present she's track -powered but she's on the to-do list to be converted to battery power. At present the saddle tank is full of lead. Does she pull well with batteries in the saddle tank - did you need to add extra weight?

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

pandsrowe
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pandsrowe » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:05 am

Mine is also the cabbed version shown here before the body was fitted. I have found that to get effective haulage power I have to run the motor too fast for a realistic scale speed. The chassis comes with a 15:1 gearbox fitted and I have purchased a 30:1 gearbox to see if that makes a difference, although I have not yet fitted it.
I also fitted the batteries inside the saddle tank and the control gear, charging socket etc is between the frames under the cab. Quite a tight fit!
Generally speaking I think that it is a very worthwhile project and the kit from GRS does represent good value. (Usual disclaimer) It is definitely not a five minute glue together kit though, a lot of thought will be required to accommodate and fit your chosen control system, as the kit does not come supplied with anything.
Phil

Gralyn
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Gralyn » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:17 am

ge_rik:111797 wrote:
Gralyn:111784 wrote:My version is the cabbed one too.
Looks smart. I have a cabbed version too, running on an LGB ToyTrain chassis. At present she's track -powered but she's on the to-do list to be converted to battery power. At present the saddle tank is full of lead. Does she pull well with batteries in the saddle tank - did you need to add extra weight?

Rik
The lower section of the boiler is full of lead and the 10 AA batteries,resting on top in the wider space, supplies the rest of the weight. Loco gross weight 1.5Kg. Pulls those two bogie flat wagons up a 1:40 incline with power to spare.
Regards Graham.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:13 pm

Gralyn:111805 wrote: The lower section of the boiler is full of lead and the 10 AA batteries,resting on top in the wider space, supplies the rest of the weight. Loco gross weight 1.5Kg. Pulls those two bogie flat wagons up a 1:40 incline with power to spare.
Thanks Graham
That's reassuring. Although mine weighs in at a hefty 2.25kg at present, I've found that converting to battery requires less weight for the equivalent adhesion. I think it's partly due to lowering friction by the removal of the skates and wheel pickups and partly because the wheels and rails no longer need to be shiny clean.

I've now moved her batteryisation further up the todo list. Somehow doesn't seem right to run a narrow gauge light railway without having at least one Hunslet in service ...  :thumbup:

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Gralyn
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Gralyn » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:34 pm

Hoping to take mine to the Llechfan Garden Railway Gala on Saturday. Just giving it a workout on the rolling road at the moment so I can give the batteries a charge before the event. Don't want it to stall on me for lack of miliamps when I get there :lol:
Regards Graham.