Looking for suggestions.

A place for discussing battery-electric locomotives, whether they're diesel, steam or even electric outline
Rookie
New User
New User

Looking for suggestions.

Post by Rookie » Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:51 am

Hey all 🙋‍♂️
I'm new to the world of scale trains and am looking to build a garden railway in 1/16th scale.

I'm currently designing a GP60 for a 90mm guage track,
But unfortunately not knowing what components I have to work with is really hindering me.

Ive got access to a laser cutter for parts and a lathe for turning parts like wheels and axles.
I'm based in New Zealand.

I'd really like some input from some of the more experienced members on this forum as I go through the designing process.

I'd like to start off by asking, what would your recommendations for drive motors be and how would you mount them?

I had the idea of having two electric motors Mounted inside the body above the pivot point on the trucks, a shaft that goes through a bearing "into" the truck, and a chain/gear setup to connect the shaft to the axles.

Any ideas for why this wouldn't work or perhaps a better way of doing it?

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Looking for suggestions.

Post by ge_rik » Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:49 am

Welcome to the forum.
I'm not in a position to advise you directly, but there are some really accomplished modellers and model engineers on here so I'm sure you will get some helpful suggestions.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Scrat
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Re: Looking for suggestions.

Post by Scrat » Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:04 pm

Rookie wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:51 am
I'm currently designing a GP60 for a 90mm guage track,
90mm? why not go for 89mm (3.5") and have many things like wheelsets available on the market?