Deltang - Faulty ICs resp. soldering?

A place for discussing battery-electric locomotives, whether they're diesel, steam or even electric outline
PeterB
Cleaner
Cleaner

Deltang - Faulty ICs resp. soldering?

Post by PeterB » Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:31 am

Hello everyone!

I have purchased a set of Deltang TX2 transmitter and some Rx45-22 receivers. But I can not get the system working. TX and RX sometimes bind, sometimes they don't. I have wired the transmitter according to this schematic:

http://www.deltang.co.uk/dt-tx2-m1-3a.pdf

The only effect I can observe is that the receiver sometimes puts out full throttle electric power to a connected motor when the variable resistor connected to the analog input of the transmitter is turned fully clockwise. After this the motor never can be stopped except from switching off the receiver.

Close before giving up after a week of useless trying I examined the transmitter with a microscope and found that there are solder bridges between certain pins of the larger of the 2 integrated circuits on board the PCB. Here is one example:
deltan_tx22.png
deltan_tx22.png (1.66 MiB) Viewed 4370 times
The same problem occurs on the other side of the IC (not visible in the picture).

My question: Is it a bug or a feature? :? Maybe someone has the same transmitter and could check out or I can write a letter to the manufacturer. But just wanted to ask here before because as I have learned from the internet these systems are frequently used for garden railway locos.

Any ideas very much appreciated...

Peter

PeterB
Cleaner
Cleaner

Re: Deltang - Faulty ICs resp. soldering?

Post by PeterB » Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:27 am

OK, I downloaded the datasheet and found out that all pins "bridged" are marked with "NC" (not connected). So this can not be the cause of malfunction...

Peter

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:04 am

Hi Peter
I checked a couple of my Tx2s and, as you say, the bridging is deliberate.
DSCF4444.JPG
DSCF4444.JPG (1.67 MiB) Viewed 4356 times
DSCF4443.JPG
DSCF4443.JPG (1.69 MiB) Viewed 4356 times

The fault must be somewhere else in the circuitry. I haven't made that particular transmitter, so I'm not sure how it responds. I know, from experience, that the wiring of the selecta switch is quite critical so I would look carefully at whether there's a dry joint somewhere on or around the three-way switch.

If you bought your equipment from Micron, you could always email Andy. He's very good at responding and might be able to help.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:19 am

ge_rik wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:04 am If you bought your equipment from Micron, you could always email Andy. He's very good at responding and might be able to help.

Rik
I have bought Deltang from both Micron and RC Trains, and had the occasional fault and found both Andy and Phil to be receptive, and each time (except where royal Mail failed to deliver), I have a repair or replacement within a week.

PeterB
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by PeterB » Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:26 am

Hello Rik, hello Jimmy,

thanks a lot for the information. Yes, Rik, as I have pointed out before in the meanwhile I checked the data sheet for that respective 2.4GHz transmitter IC CYRF6963 and saw that all these pins are "NC". So it can't be the cause of the problem. This weekend I'm going to setup another test circuit with a dedicated "Selecta" switching and will try my luck again.

Peter

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:10 pm

Peter,
As others have said, I'd try contacting Andy at Micron, before you waste too much time experimenting. Explain the symptoms and it may ring a bell with him.
Philip

Phil.P
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Phil.P » Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:53 pm

What profile are you using On the Tx2?

Did you calibrate the transmitter, once you had built it?

Have you made/checked the paperclip settings of your receivers?

What voltages are you running you transmitter and receiver at?

Phil.P
phil@rctrains.co.uk