Kerr Stuart...ish

A place for discussing battery-electric locomotives, whether they're diesel, steam or even electric outline
Garethh
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Kerr Stuart...ish

Post by Garethh » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:03 am

Ive had a bit of a side project on the go for the last few months and now it’s nearly finished I thought I’d share it on here. It started when I received an ip engineering chassis kit as a Christmas present. I put it together as per the instructions and wasn’t entirely happy, the cranks and rods seemed flimsy and I foresaw issues with both them and the supplied brass bearings in the future. So those were ditched and the frames drilled for ball races. I decided to run Delrin chains externally so as to retain the ability to adjust the gauge. The only prototype I could think of that was vaguely plausible was a Kerr Stuart diesel, so that’s what I based the body on. Made from scrap bits of plasticard that were kicking about and a few turned brass bits. In no way a scale model but looks alright trundling around with my ‘rusty’ train I think!
497192D9-9F54-442C-8F98-9BC8658255C7.jpeg
497192D9-9F54-442C-8F98-9BC8658255C7.jpeg (303.18 KiB) Viewed 7721 times
80F9A4A7-A673-402E-B870-AFA8CF8AB636.jpeg
80F9A4A7-A673-402E-B870-AFA8CF8AB636.jpeg (261.65 KiB) Viewed 7721 times
Will probably add a few interior details and having a think about working lamps...

philipy

Re: Kerr Stuart...ish

Post by philipy » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:20 am

That is a work of decrepit art! I love the paint finish, brilliantly realistic. You really should do something with the inside of the cab, just to complete it, though.
Philip

Garethh
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Garethh » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:37 am

Thank you, I do like a bit of rust! I agree on the cab, I’ll probably order some detail bits next time I’ve got enough bits together to be worth paying postage!

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:24 am

I like that very much, looks just right!

Something KS-ish is on my to do list as well - you've inspired me to crack on with it, thank you!

I'm very impressed by how you've got your rivets so neatly aligned and spaced - do you have a tips you can pass on?

Andrew.

Garethh
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Garethh » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:00 am

They’re the nail art domes someone on here recommended in a thread somewhere. There’s probably a better way to do it, I just drew a line with a pencil and the picked them up with a scalpel blade to superglue on

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:27 am

Lovely thanks!

I'm a nail art gem fan too (it's possible I was the first, it was certainly an idea I'd not come across elsewhere, guess it'll be confirmed if they affix a blue plaque to my wall...), but yours look so neat I wondered if you had a cunning plan - you're clearly a true artist!

I'm thinking about getting the parts for my KS laser-cut (once I've designed them...), in which case I could etch the positions for the gems on, otherwise it'll be a pencil and ruler for me too...

Thanks,

Andrew.

Tom85
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Tom85 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:26 am

Cracking loco, looks great, you'd never know it was plasticard! What sort of paint did you use, and how did you do the rust?

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:38 am

Wonderful creation, great use of materials and excellent finish. Top marks!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:54 am

Lovely rust! What a great looking loco.

Garethh
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Garethh » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:03 am

Tom85 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:26 am Cracking loco, looks great, you'd never know it was plasticard! What sort of paint did you use, and how did you do the rust?
Thanks Tom! It had an undercoat of red primer, which I then brush painted in the areas I wanted to look rusty with rusty brown acrylics. I then stuck some salt to these areas with some ‘borrowed’ hairspray and over coated with grey primer. Once dry a gentle scrub under running water and the grey flakes off leaving the rust colours exposed. Few washes and further touching in with acrylics and some weathering powders and done! Not my idea by the way but can’t remember where I came across it...

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:11 pm

Looks superb - rivets, rust and all....!

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:13 pm

Garethh wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:03 am ....... It had an undercoat of red primer, which I then brush painted in the areas I wanted to look rusty with rusty brown acrylics. I then stuck some salt to these areas with some ‘borrowed’ hairspray and over coated with grey primer. Once dry a gentle scrub under running water and the grey flakes off leaving the rust colours exposed. Few washes and further touching in with acrylics and some weathering powders and done! Not my idea by the way but can’t remember where I came across it...
I used the same technique on my Simplex loco - pinched the idea from the wargaming, tank-building community.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:11 pm

I must have another go at this rust technique. I have tried it in the past but was unhappy with the results. Then again, I'm never happy with my weathering. So much so that I don't bother these days, but perhaps I will have ago on the Wickham when I get that far.
Philip

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:47 am

Wonderfully done, as is the stock behind it!
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

RylstonLight
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by RylstonLight » Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:14 pm

If an exact prototype didn’t exist then it should have. This looks real which is the best testiment to a well-thought out free-lance loco (or anything else for that matter). Nice :thumbup:

Andy S.
Andy S. at the Rylston Light Railway