RailRoad Models - any experience?

A place for discussing battery-electric locomotives, whether they're diesel, steam or even electric outline
Matloughe
Cleaner
Cleaner

RailRoad Models - any experience?

Post by Matloughe » Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:33 pm

Afternoon All!

I hope you're well?
I was wondering if on the forums anyone had experience assembling RailRoad Model kits of Locomotives or Rolling Stock? I am quite tempted to dip my toe in the water with some of their stock due to its very reasonable price tag. But equally I know you get what you pay for!

Has anyone assembled any of their products before? I'm looking at a Steam Outline locomotive of some description as I love a good steam loco.
Possibly their Corris Coaches as well, and Wickham Trolley.

Thank you to anyone who has experience they want to share.
Kind Regards,
Gary

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Re: RailRoad Models - any experience?

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:23 pm

I have had experience of two of their kits, both of which were bought by someone else and handed to me to make. As you quite correctly state, you get what you pay for, but in both instances the effort was far too great for the ultimate finish and performance result.
There are so many alternatives available on the market and I'm sure someone on the Forum can advise on an entry level kit to satisfy your needs.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:24 pm

Hi Gary
I think they used to be Loco-Lines - https://www.rail-roadmodels.co.uk/

I don't have any personal experience of them apart from buying a cattle wagon kit many moons ago. The cattle wagon as OK, but it was basically a card kit to fit on my own chassis. I decided to make my own cattle wagon from plasticard as the finish was quite basic.

I seem to recall someone on here a few years ago constructing one of their locos - I've done a quick search but haven't been able to track it down

Rik
PS - Found a couple of threads
- https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 3&p=129201
- https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 13&p=74861

Looks like you can get decent results with a bit of effort
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Matloughe
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Matloughe » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:08 pm

Brilliant, thank you to both of you for your input.

I'll have a look at those two threads Rik - will be some light reading after dinner later. :study: I am looking at something simple to build their confidence of one or both of my little ones and saw the Tram engine loco and thought bit might be interesting, with or without the face!

I've got some Lineside Hut kiddies coaches on order with personalised names and am going to let both of them go wild with their coaches :)

Kind Regards,
Gary

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:48 pm

Lineside Hut products are well cut and instructions sufficient for even new builders to follow. The end result will be something they can be proud of. Please let us see what they achieve.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?