IP Engineering Rail Bus

A place for discussing battery-electric locomotives, whether they're diesel, steam or even electric outline
Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Re: IP Engineering Rail Bus

Post by Jimmyb » Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:11 am

Thanks for the feedback, seems odd that some can see the images and some can't, as the page is public viewing on my blog I would have though they would be available. I will check my settings.

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:46 am

I am enjoying following along with this build - the interior panelling looks superb.
Jimmyb wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:11 am Thanks for the feedback, seems odd that some can see the images and some can't, as the page is public viewing on my blog I would have though they would be available. I will check my settings.
Without wishing to get too technical, I think the reason for this will be that the images are on an unsecured site (this means without a valid 'SSL' certificate) whereas the forum is a secure site. Some people cannot see the images because their browser will not allow mixing secure and insecure elements, others have more lax security settings and won't notice a problem. The solution (where possible) is to host the images on a secure site.

Secure URLs start with https rather than http.

Philip - perhaps you could add a line to your excellent tutorial about this?

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:34 pm

SimonWood wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:46 am I am enjoying following along with this build - the interior panelling looks superb.
Jimmyb wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:11 am Thanks for the feedback, seems odd that some can see the images and some can't, as the page is public viewing on my blog I would have though they would be available. I will check my settings.
Without wishing to get too technical, I think the reason for this will be that the images are on an unsecured site (this means without a valid 'SSL' certificate) whereas the forum is a secure site. Some people cannot see the images because their browser will not allow mixing secure and insecure elements, others have more lax security settings and won't notice a problem. The solution (where possible) is to host the images on a secure site.

Secure URLs start with https rather than http.

Philip - perhaps you could add a line to your excellent tutorial about this?
Simon, you maybe correct, when I view the page in my normal browser I can see the photos, I assume due to me logged on to my website, however when I view the page in an"other" browser not associated with my website, I cannot see the images just the "image" marker. However when using a different forum that I have also posted the photos on linking to my website the photos are visible, and that site is also a secure HTTPS site.
It would seem that the settings on this site are the issue. As you are aware you cannot just change to a secure HTTPS site you need a SSL certificate, which are not free, on top of my domain name and web hosting fee, this is a step to far.
As you know this forum has a photo limitation, and now down to two photos per post (and I am content with that (not that I have choice :) )) and am content to link from another site, but if the forum does not like my photos, then it would seem linking photos are a pointless exercise for me :(

philipy

Post by philipy » Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:48 pm

Jimmy,
The other alternative is to use a free hosting site with the necessary certification, such as Postimages .org as outlined in our "How To.." section.
https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 62&t=13243
Philip

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:06 pm

philipy wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:48 pm Jimmy,
The other alternative is to use a free hosting site with the necessary certification, such as Postimages .org as outlined in our "How To.." section.
https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 62&t=13243
Philp, many thanks, however after editing and posting once, that is enough for me. I spend 90% of my working day working on a computer, and try to keep my leisure time screen viewing to a minimum.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:14 pm

It seems to be browser related. Chrome won't load the images whereas Firefox does. I've tried to see if there's a way of changing the settings in Chrome to allow mixed content but it doesn't seem to be there in the latest version of Android Chrome. No problem with Windows Firefox or with Android Firefox.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:17 pm

I have switched to Firefox to test this theory, and it works!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:27 am

ge_rik wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:14 pm It seems to be browser related. Chrome won't load the images whereas Firefox does. I've tried to see if there's a way of changing the settings in Chrome to allow mixed content but it doesn't seem to be there in the latest version of Android Chrome. No problem with Windows Firefox or with Android Firefox.

Rik
Rik,

Many thanks for that, my default browser is Firefox, which I allowed me to see the images, but as said I thought that may have been because logged in to my site, seems not, however I tried both Chrome and Edge, and neither would let me view them in the page, but clicking the image opened the image on a separate page.

Phil.P
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Phil.P » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:30 am

I am using Chrome on an Android smartie-phone, and I see the images..

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:54 am

Jimmyb wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:34 pm It would seem that the settings on this site are the issue. As you are aware you cannot just change to a secure HTTPS site you need a SSL certificate, which are not free, on top of my domain name and web hosting fee, this is a step to far.
Mixing secure and insecure content will always present a problem for some viewers, depending on their setup - it's not an issue with the forum. You are quite right about needing SSL certificates - and although they are in fact available free (take a look at "Let's Encrypt") installing one inevitably involves spending time and effort. Fortunately, if people simply click through to your (excellent) blog, the images are already viewable there for everyone as things stand.
ge_rik wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:14 pm It seems to be browser related. Chrome won't load the images whereas Firefox does. I've tried to see if there's a way of changing the settings in Chrome to allow mixed content but it doesn't seem to be there in the latest version of Android Chrome. No problem with Windows Firefox or with Android Firefox.
It is browser related in so far as the browser will have default security settings and possibly allow you to change them - but even where you can change them doing so degrades the security of your browser. While I might be comfortable changing them myself, I would be cautious about recommending anyone else takes that risk - that's why I suggested updating the tutorial in the "How to..." section to indicate that hosting images on an insecure site is best avoided.

philipy

Post by philipy » Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:21 am

SimonWood wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:54 am ... I suggested updating the tutorial in the "How to..." section to indicate that hosting images on an insecure site is best avoided.
Now done.
Philip

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:13 pm

I have investigated an SSL Certificate, and the cheapest available to me is £45:00/year, an additional expense I am not willing to pay out for on a blog.

Phil.P
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Phil.P » Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:26 pm

Jimmy,
Enquire with your hosting provider..
Many provide a SSL certificate 'free' as part of their package.

Your Broadband provider may include a certain amount of hosting space? Again, they may provide a certificate.

You usually have to ask, rather than them making a 'thing' of the service.

Phil.P

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:05 pm

Already discussed this a while ago with my hosting service, and £45:00 is the cheapest they do.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:10 am

I'm no expert on SSL but a quick web search unearthed this source - c $40 for five years
https://comodosslstore.com/positive-ssl-2.aspx

It got a good review on TechRadar so I think it's legit

Rik
------------------------

BorisSpencer
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BorisSpencer » Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:53 am

For general public use I wouldn't buy certificates with expirations greater than 2 years.
A lot of services consider a cert more than 2 years old to be untrusted.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:31 am

BorisSpencer wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:53 am For general public use I wouldn't buy certificates with expirations greater than 2 years.
On the site, they say with the multiyear subscription, the user needs to renew it every year presumably to overcome this issue

Rik
------------------------

georgesheppard
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by georgesheppard » Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:45 pm

letsencrypt have been offering free certificates for several years now, I'm not sure if all hosting providers would support them though as I imagine selling SSL certificates is quite lucrative. There is a list of hosting companies that support lets encrypt on their community forum over here
For general public use I wouldn't buy certificates with expirations greater than 2 years.
I believe since September 2020 certificates can only be issued with a maximum expiry of 13 months or less anyway, see here.

Sorry to continue the thread hijacking with more SSL discussion :twisted:

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:02 pm

I do think this SLL Certificate thing has gone on long enough, I am not buying one, my web host does not provide them for free - End!!
Lets get back to the trains please.

Phil.P
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Phil.P » Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:23 pm

So Jimmy,

What did you think to the quality of materials and fit of the IP Railbus?