IP Engineering Rail Bus

A place for discussing battery-electric locomotives, whether they're diesel, steam or even electric outline
philipy

Re: IP Engineering Rail Bus

Post by philipy » Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:18 pm

Jimmyb wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:50 pm
I have a question for builders of these "wooden" kits, the instructions talk about using superglue or two-part epoxy, I would have though a good water proof PVA, thoughts please:
I've never actually built one although i do have a couple in stock to do and PVA would be my first thought. OTOH, superglue does set faster, IF you can keep it under control ( something I always find difficult).

Peter B is the expert with mdf kits.
Philip

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:57 pm

philipy wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:18 pm
I have a question for builders of these "wooden" kits, the instructions talk about using superglue or two-part epoxy, I would have though a good water proof PVA, thoughts please.
Expert.... no, experienced..... yes!

Like all simple questions there are numerous possible answers. I am a strong supporter of PVA adhesive and whenever I can I do prefer to use it. True it takes longer to set and needs to be held in position whist drying, it gives a stronger joint over its entire contact surface and is less likely to fracture if impacted. It may also help to dull the sound of hollow vehicles. I see no advantage in using waterproof PVA unless you are planning to completely seal your model both inside and out. MDF and thin plywood may be effected in humid conditions so I never use my stock in the rain and always store them in boxes.

Superglue does work very well on wooden kits and I frequently use it on kits from Jerry Irwin following his instructions on-line. It makes for quick and strong joints where mortise and tenon type fixings are located. It is also easy to remove excess adhesive by simply wiping away. A combination of the two adhesives is often the most suitable method but may take some experience to identify where to use either one.

I would not choose to use epoxy adhesive on wooden kits.

Useful tips .... do NOT use superglue to attach window glazing.
If painting overlays separately first, use 'Canopy Adhesive' to attach to the body panels.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Phil.P
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Phil.P » Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:32 pm

Can I ask why Canopy Adhesive for overlays?

Is it because the items are both painted?

Thanks,
PhilP.

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:49 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:57 pm
philipy wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:18 pm
I have a question for builders of these "wooden" kits, the instructions talk about using superglue or two-part epoxy, I would have though a good water proof PVA, thoughts please.
Expert.... no, experienced..... yes!

Like all simple questions there are numerous possible answers. I am a strong supporter of PVA adhesive and whenever I can I do prefer to use it. True it takes longer to set and needs to be held in position whist drying, it gives a stronger joint over its entire contact surface and is less likely to fracture if impacted. It may also help to dull the sound of hollow vehicles. I see no advantage in using waterproof PVA unless you are planning to completely seal your model both inside and out. MDF and thin plywood may be effected in humid conditions so I never use my stock in the rain and always store them in boxes.

Superglue does work very well on wooden kits and I frequently use it on kits from Jerry Irwin following his instructions on-line. It makes for quick and strong joints where mortise and tenon type fixings are located. It is also easy to remove excess adhesive by simply wiping away. A combination of the two adhesives is often the most suitable method but may take some experience to identify where to use either one.

I would not choose to use epoxy adhesive on wooden kits.

Useful tips .... do NOT use superglue to attach window glazing.
If painting overlays separately first, use 'Canopy Adhesive' to attach to the body panels.
Philip and Peter, many thanks, I will stick (pun wasn't intended) with PVA, I have some craft PVA that has worked well, and because of the relatively slow setting it gives my fat fingers time to "adjust" and clamp the work.
Phil.P wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:32 pm Can I ask why Canopy Adhesive for overlays?

Thanks,
PhilP.

Phil.P I think this is because it "fogs" the overlay, but I could be mistaken.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:03 pm

Canopy adhesive is described as a.... 'flexible, clear, fast drying adhesive designed to bond plastics to almost anything'.
To my way of thinking, 'almost anything' incudes MDF or ply overlays when applied to a sealed or painted, smooth surface, plastic or not. I use it frequently, and it works.
It allows sufficient time to apply adhesive to even the largest overlays before drying, any excess can be removed with a damp cloth when wet, or by rubbing when dry, without leaving any residue.
If superglue is used for overlays, any excess cannot be removed without damaging and permanently marking painted surfaces.

Phil.P
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Phil.P » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:15 pm

Thanks for the information Peter.

I had not come across the product before..

PhilP

philipy

Post by philipy » Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:57 pm

Phil.P wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:32 pm Can I ask why Canopy Adhesive for overlays?

I believe it is because canopy adhesive dries clear and is slightly flexible, so if any squeezes out of the joint it is much less visible
Philip

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:07 am

Very little has happened lately with the railbus, the body and chassis built as per the instructions, and now I am looking to make it my own.
Update on the motor front, I bought one the the "Chinese" 6 - 12 volt motors, and when applying power to the original motor and new motor 2.4 volts and 4.8 volt (2 X and 4X NiMH batteries) the speed did not seem to be much different, not very scientific, I know but I was sceptical of the new motor rating. So I bought a MFA Coma 12 - 24 volt motor, runs very slow at 2.4 volts, and reasonable at 4.8 volts, so I think it may just provide the power I need :)

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:00 pm

Rather like that railmotor kit, looking forward to seeing what you do with yours.
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:58 pm

Progress so far:

Basic item assembled

A quick test to determine the motor to use, and battery voltage

Making the roof removable

Low melt soldered bonnet assembly with extra weight

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:30 pm

Further progress:

Balsa blocks added for side frame supports:

Side frames add:

Inside panelled:

Roof adapted to take a speaker:

Hope fully the photos tell the story, but more details can be found on my blog:
http://www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk/ip-e ... g-railcar/

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:26 pm

Good progress Jimmy. I have had to see the pictures on your bog as they do not appear on your post, only as 'image'.

philipy

Post by philipy » Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:44 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:26 pm Good progress Jimmy. I have had to see the pictures on your bog as they do not appear on your post, only as 'image'.
Thats strange Peter, the pictures all look fine to me.
Philip

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:17 pm

philipy wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:44 pm
Peter Butler wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:26 pm Good progress Jimmy. I have had to see the pictures on your bog as they do not appear on your post, only as 'image'.
Thats strange Peter, the pictures all look fine to me.
Nope, still the same as they appeared yesterday.

Phil.P
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Phil.P » Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:50 pm

I don't see the images either...

Phil.P

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:11 am

Thanks for the feedback, seems odd that some can see the images and some can't, as the page is public viewing on my blog I would have though they would be available. I will check my settings.

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:46 am

I am enjoying following along with this build - the interior panelling looks superb.
Jimmyb wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:11 am Thanks for the feedback, seems odd that some can see the images and some can't, as the page is public viewing on my blog I would have though they would be available. I will check my settings.
Without wishing to get too technical, I think the reason for this will be that the images are on an unsecured site (this means without a valid 'SSL' certificate) whereas the forum is a secure site. Some people cannot see the images because their browser will not allow mixing secure and insecure elements, others have more lax security settings and won't notice a problem. The solution (where possible) is to host the images on a secure site.

Secure URLs start with https rather than http.

Philip - perhaps you could add a line to your excellent tutorial about this?

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:34 pm

SimonWood wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:46 am I am enjoying following along with this build - the interior panelling looks superb.
Jimmyb wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:11 am Thanks for the feedback, seems odd that some can see the images and some can't, as the page is public viewing on my blog I would have though they would be available. I will check my settings.
Without wishing to get too technical, I think the reason for this will be that the images are on an unsecured site (this means without a valid 'SSL' certificate) whereas the forum is a secure site. Some people cannot see the images because their browser will not allow mixing secure and insecure elements, others have more lax security settings and won't notice a problem. The solution (where possible) is to host the images on a secure site.

Secure URLs start with https rather than http.

Philip - perhaps you could add a line to your excellent tutorial about this?
Simon, you maybe correct, when I view the page in my normal browser I can see the photos, I assume due to me logged on to my website, however when I view the page in an"other" browser not associated with my website, I cannot see the images just the "image" marker. However when using a different forum that I have also posted the photos on linking to my website the photos are visible, and that site is also a secure HTTPS site.
It would seem that the settings on this site are the issue. As you are aware you cannot just change to a secure HTTPS site you need a SSL certificate, which are not free, on top of my domain name and web hosting fee, this is a step to far.
As you know this forum has a photo limitation, and now down to two photos per post (and I am content with that (not that I have choice :) )) and am content to link from another site, but if the forum does not like my photos, then it would seem linking photos are a pointless exercise for me :(

philipy

Post by philipy » Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:48 pm

Jimmy,
The other alternative is to use a free hosting site with the necessary certification, such as Postimages .org as outlined in our "How To.." section.
https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 62&t=13243
Philip

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:06 pm

philipy wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:48 pm Jimmy,
The other alternative is to use a free hosting site with the necessary certification, such as Postimages .org as outlined in our "How To.." section.
https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 62&t=13243
Philp, many thanks, however after editing and posting once, that is enough for me. I spend 90% of my working day working on a computer, and try to keep my leisure time screen viewing to a minimum.