Gauge One Motive Power

A place for discussing battery-electric locomotives, whether they're diesel, steam or even electric outline
angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Gauge One Motive Power

Post by angr607 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:59 pm

With all the rolling stock I've been working on, some suitable Motive Power was definitely in order. Sadly my skills to build a steam engine are very limited and with CAD work on a suitable battery powered engine some months away, I worked with what I had and produced a pair of small Shunting engines to run on PDF Models chassis as a quick fix option. This produced the GWR Sentinel and the Baguley Drewry. With wants of having a trio of engines (to allow for breakdowns), once the internal design was ready, they were joined by a Ruston 88DS. In time, others will follow (need to decide which) but 3 is enough for the moment! That said, I am thinking about a LSWR T9/LSWR T3 which will be battery powered to join the fleet at some point next year........

162hp Baguley Drewry Diesel Hydraulic named after a family member. Easily the most used member of the fleet so far. PDF models chassis. Painted in Light green with plates by Narrow Planet.

Ruston 88DS. Painted the same colour as the Baguley but unlike the other two, has a weaker motor so isn't as powerful. Bowaters Models prototype chassis. But will still manage a 4 coach train with relative ease abet very slowly.

GWR Sentinel. Its been rebuilt from the original version which has a pure 3D printed body and now looks a lot better. PDF models chassis. Painted GWR Black with Plates by Narrow Planet.

Jon
Bowaters Models:- http://www.bowatersmodels.co.uk

Current Projects:-
Rebuilding the Railway!
Turning a Second hand 'Superior' into Bowaters 'Superior'

Garethh
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Re: Gauge One Motive Power

Post by Garethh » Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:36 am

Brilliant, great to see that gauge 1 is doable without spending thousands on live steam models! Are you planning to produce these as kits? I’ve been thinking that G1 needed something at the more accessible end of the market to get more people interested...

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:47 am

Those are lovely - I particularly like the Ruston.

The prospect of a T9 or T3 is quite mouth-watering... Perhaps to be followed by an SECR D or E?!

Andrew.

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:45 pm

Garethh wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:36 am Brilliant, great to see that gauge 1 is doable without spending thousands on live steam models! Are you planning to produce these as kits? I’ve been thinking that G1 needed something at the more accessible end of the market to get more people interested...
As multiple people asked, they're on the website! I'm hoping to get them into garden rail in February.

Jon

Rebuilding the Railway!

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Sun May 09, 2021 4:17 pm

Time for a update.

With the trio of Battery Shunters and the Schools in operation with now three more to follow (Accucraft Victory, custom built H and Custom Built M7), I do need a more powerful battery engine if nothing else to rescue the train when the schools runs out of meths. So a Bo-Bo diesel outline looks like it'll fit the bill perfectly. Following my own interests, that narrowed it down to either the 33 or the 73 (for now, also looking at a class 20 as well). Fortunately, the new Hastings profile maunsells decided it for me so I'm working on a 33/0, 33/2 and 73/0. The 33/2 is the first one and going to test everything mechanically for the next two. The first one being twin motored but the design does allow for 4 if needed.

Very happy with how its turned out but the proof will be once the first one is built. Hopefully making its debut a week today at the next GMES open day! Plenty to do and not a lot of time to do it. But a good deadline does help things move along nicely.

Jon

Rebuilding the Railway!

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun May 09, 2021 4:20 pm

Be interested to see the first prototype.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sun May 09, 2021 6:25 pm

I like that "33" very much! I grew up in the South East, and 33s, plus the occasional 73 were the only locos to be seen on my local lines. I remember watching them double-head long trains carrying segments of concrete Channel Tunnel liner at Hall Place, near Bexley - I was supposed to be watching my friends play cricket, but found myself easily distracted...

Anyway, looking forward to seeing that on completed - maybe you should build a 4TC set so you can push/pull your way up and down your end-to-end line?!

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Sun May 09, 2021 10:14 pm

Andrew wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 6:25 pm I like that "33" very much! I grew up in the South East, and 33s, plus the occasional 73 were the only locos to be seen on my local lines. I remember watching them double-head long trains carrying segments of concrete Channel Tunnel liner at Hall Place, near Bexley - I was supposed to be watching my friends play cricket, but found myself easily distracted...

Anyway, looking forward to seeing that on completed - maybe you should build a 4TC set so you can push/pull your way up and down your end-to-end line?!
Thanks Guys! Should be done later this week. Don't tempt me with a 4TC set...... I've got other projects to do first before I can think about something like that.

Jon

Rebuilding the Railway!

Garethh
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Garethh » Mon May 10, 2021 7:10 am

This is very interesting! I’ve been thinking a g1 battery loco could be next on the cards once the project is finished, a 20 would be very nice...

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Mon May 10, 2021 1:24 pm

Garethh wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:10 am This is very interesting! I’ve been thinking a g1 battery loco could be next on the cards once the project is finished, a 20 would be very nice...
I mean, a Class 20 is on the cards after the 33/73 so..... you never know! I does cover 4 of the 5 bo bos I'd like one of.

Jon

Rebuilding the Railway!

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:36 pm

Time for the reveal! Both the 33/0 and 33/2 are both complete and under test. The 33/2 has a cruder design which is very noisy while the 33/0 runs on a pair of twin motor Fosworks Power Bogies. Both need some work to convert them to the proper production spec but they're getting there. Designed for me first but with sale in mind as the amount of interest based on the personal images was a little crazy. Just one more loco to do personal wise then its pure commercial.

Both 33s together.

Class 33/0 - 9ft 3 wide

Class 33/2 - Restriction 0/8ft 8 wide

Just to prove the 33/2 works, a few images of it on test at Guildford. A 6 coach train is at many as I'll put behind the 33/2. I'm hoping for 8 on the 33/0.

Hopefully will get some images of the 33/0 on trains as soon as its locoremote arrives then it's just a case of running in. The 33/2 will be relegated to the spare status until I get round to replacing it with one on Fosworks Bogies.

Rebuilding the Railway!

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:25 am

I’ve been unreasonably rude about 33s elsewhere on this forum (and to anybody else within earshot probably) but — Hell — I want one of those! Please can you print me one out at 1:26?! Thank you. Fantastic.

Garethh
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Garethh » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:29 am

If I can afford one I’ll be interested! Watched a 33 dragging mayflower and it’s train through Acton just the other day and it did sound nice.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:03 pm

BertieB wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:25 am I’ve been unreasonably rude about 33s elsewhere on this forum (and to anybody else within earshot probably) but — Hell — I want one of those! Please can you print me one out at 1:26?! Thank you. Fantastic.
"There will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent..."

Apparently.

They are lovely, aren't they?!

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:45 pm

BertieB wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:25 am I’ve been unreasonably rude about 33s elsewhere on this forum (and to anybody else within earshot probably) but — Hell — I want one of those! Please can you print me one out at 1:26?! Thank you. Fantastic.
Oh it can be arranged....... Relatively easily. Drop me a message and I'll see what I can do!

Thanks for all the comments guys! Next bo bo is a class 73 which will follow once the costs involved for the 33s have been sorted out.

Pricing for the 1:32 one is £380 each. That's with 4 Axle Slung motors fyi. So not bad for what you pay. They'll go on the site later. I'll do a big post on the business thread once everything settles down......

Jon

Rebuilding the Railway!

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:41 pm

The 33/2 now has a twin. The 33/0 now exists with Fosworks bogies this time and the change is remarkable. Plenty of power and a lot quieter! Good job I've standardised on them now isn't it! Fortunately, I've sold the old 33/2 to a friend so that can be replaced with another fosworks powered one. Considering the amount of power the /0 has, two together should have more power than I know what to do with.

33s together.

The ultimate test, dead steam engine and train unassisted. And this wasn't even close to full power.

Safe to say I'm happy with this one! Just need to build a second 33/2, design the 73 and then the fun begins, Hastings Unit....... After that I'll definitely need a break after doing nothing but gauge one for months on end! Nearly run out of room which helps keep things under control!

Rebuilding the Railway!

georgesheppard
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by georgesheppard » Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:02 pm

angr607 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:41 pm Safe to say I'm happy with this one! Just need to build a second 33/2, design the 73 and then the fun begins, Hastings Unit....... After that I'll definitely need a break after doing nothing but gauge one for months on end! Nearly run out of room which helps keep things under control!
I saw this going round on Sunday, lovely looking thing. Didn't seem to break a sweat!

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:33 pm

georgesheppard wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:02 pm
angr607 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:41 pm Safe to say I'm happy with this one! Just need to build a second 33/2, design the 73 and then the fun begins, Hastings Unit....... After that I'll definitely need a break after doing nothing but gauge one for months on end! Nearly run out of room which helps keep things under control!
I saw this going round on Sunday, lovely looking thing. Didn't seem to break a sweat!
Thanks! It really didn't break a sweat. It didn't go above 30% power normally except for one high speed run where it went to 60%. It'll probably never reach 100% unless its got a stupid load behind it.

Jon

Rebuilding the Railway!

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:45 am

angr607 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:41 pm and then the fun begins, Hastings Unit.......
Brilliant!

Loving your work on the Southern Region post-steam scene - I never knew I was so nostalgic for it until you started churning this stuff out!

angr607
Fireman
Fireman

Post by angr607 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:10 pm

After a long break after the disaster that was the class 33, something less controversial followed. The Hastings Class 201 DEMU has been built and tested. Now running as a 4 coach train set with plans for a 6 coach in time. The 4 coach has run at Guildford multiple times and looks the part along side other models.

With a number of them now in the wild, time for another diesel or two this time from across the irish sea. No one has done Gauge one Irish stock before and as something different before the Class 73, seemed a good thing to do. CIE Class 611 Diesel Shunter and CIE Class 141 Bo-Bo Diesel. The smaller Class 611 has run while the larger Class 141 is waiting on proper power bogies.

Hopefully it won't be long until the big beast is running....

CIE Class 121, BR Class 73 and BR Class 09 next hopefully!

Jon

Rebuilding the Railway!