Essel Engineering Fowler

A place for discussing battery-electric locomotives, whether they're diesel, steam or even electric outline
Mitch stack
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Essel Engineering Fowler

Post by Mitch stack » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:55 pm

Hey folks, I have finally Started to look around for a diesel loco for my tramway and i was wondering what the Essel Fowlers are like hauling heavy loads?
Hopefully i can get one at some stage in the next few months.
Mitch - Cockatoo Creek Tramway

GTB
Driver
Driver

Re: Essel Engineering Fowler

Post by GTB » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:40 am

Mitch stack wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:55 pm i was wondering what the Essel Fowlers are like hauling heavy loads?
I have a Merlin Motor Mule which is the ancestor of the Essel Fowler, via the Friog Mini Mule. The drive arrangement is the same, with a Como geared motor and bevel final drive.

Mine has a manual electronic speed control running on eight Eneloops AA cells. I now have the bits to fit it with rc, but haven't found the right size of ‘round tuit' yet......

My track is flat which helps, but on test the Mule has hauled a 40 axle train at a steady speed of 14 scale mph at half throttle with no effort. It weighs 1.8kg so the theoretical limit on the flat is a goods train of about 60 axles. A train that long would stringline and derail on the curves, so my official track limit is set at 40 axles.

It has also hauled the Garratt and ten bogie wagons on the flat when the steamer ran out of gas at the back of the track. The Garratt was in mid gear and the Mule just slipped when starting on the curve, but it kept the load moving after that.

Hope that gives you some idea. Fowler aesthetics are an acquired taste, but the performance of that mech design is good.

Regards,
Graeme

Mitch stack
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Mitch stack » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:07 am

Thanks Graeme , I will order a Fowler soon enough hopefully!.
How does manual control go on it?
Mitch

Graff B.
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Graff B. » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:31 pm

Hi Mitch, I have an Essel Fowler, quite a powerful loco. Nice slow running too, as usual with Essel well made and reliable. My only dislike is that the battery box projects into the cab so there is little room for a driver. Speed control is on the bonnet disguised as an exhaust.
Regards Alan.

Mitch stack
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Mitch stack » Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:06 am

GTB wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:40 am
Mitch stack wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:55 pm i was wondering what the Essel Fowlers are like hauling heavy loads?
I have a Merlin Motor Mule which is the ancestor of the Essel Fowler, via the Friog Mini Mule. The drive arrangement is the same, with a Como geared motor and bevel final drive.

Mine has a manual electronic speed control running on eight Eneloops AA cells. I now have the bits to fit it with rc, but haven't found the right size of ‘round tuit' yet......

My track is flat which helps, but on test the Mule has hauled a 40 axle train at a steady speed of 14 scale mph at half throttle with no effort. It weighs 1.8kg so the theoretical limit on the flat is a goods train of about 60 axles. A train that long would stringline and derail on the curves, so my official track limit is set at 40 axles.

It has also hauled the Garratt and ten bogie wagons on the flat when the steamer ran out of gas at the back of the track. The Garratt was in mid gear and the Mule just slipped when starting on the curve, but it kept the load moving after that.

Hope that gives you some idea. Fowler aesthetics are an acquired taste, but the performance of that mech design is good.

Regards,
Graeme
Graeme, I remember you mentioning a while ago you had some Imformation on Fowler Mechanical locos from a LRRSA article , I was wondering what Number it was in?

Mitch

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:04 am

Mitch stack wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:06 am I remember you mentioning a while ago you had some Imformation on Fowler Mechanical locos from a LRRSA article , I was wondering what Number it was in?
It was a two part article by Bruce Belbin in Issues 204 and 206. The main subject was Fowler 16830 which is a 0-6-0PM originally imported to work at Childers Mill and still exists, at Menangle near Sydney last I heard. There is some general information on the other versions built by Fowler.

If you want to see a real one of the version modeled by Essel, the 0-4-0PM that was originally imported by Plane Creek Mill is currently on loan to Puffing Billy at Menzies Creek as far as I know.

https://victoriancollections.net.au/ite ... 095ceae547

Regards,
Graeme