Keeping track of battery charging

A place for discussing battery-electric locomotives, whether they're diesel, steam or even electric outline
FWLR
Driver
Driver

Re: Keeping track of battery charging

Post by FWLR » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:57 am

ge_rik wrote: ↑Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:09 am
big-ted wrote: ↑Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:24 pm The abuse a garden railway loco puts on a LiPo battery is nothing compared to what the drone and R/C car guys do to them. I just bought a charger capable of charging on two separate channels at 15A. It's not uncommon for guys to charge 2S LiPos at up to 40A to deliberate heat the cells so as to lower their internal resistance for added oomph.

That said, I would still be mindful to store at 3.6V per cell and balance charge where possible, just to prolong the life of the battery.

...... though I've not yet reached the stage where I give my batteries names. Mind you, I have noticed some of them have distinct personalities. :shock: :D

Rik
:laughing3: :laughing3: Only, the "Blooming" batteries have gone......

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:47 am

I am afraid that when anyone mentions 'LiLo' batteries my mind goes to the usually unseen character of Lilo Lil off 'Bread' - the late 80s early 90s (IIRC) British Sitcom. Funnily enough I was ordained priest at a church in Toxteth, not so far from where the series was set.

Cheers,
Peter in Va
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:59 am

IrishPeter wrote: ↑Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:47 am I am afraid that when anyone mentions 'LiLo' batteries my mind goes to the usually unseen character of Lilo Lil off 'Bread' - the late 80s early 90s (IIRC) British Sitcom. Funnily enough I was ordained priest at a church in Toxteth, not so far from where the series was set.

Cheers,
Peter in Va
Is that in the same vein as Mike Harding's "Back Entry Bertha" who used to carry a mattress with her in case she met someone she knew?

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:10 am

I have just received the Imax B6 Smart charger, apart from trying to figure out :scratch: :scratch: how I connect the batteries to it, I now have four chargers for all the batteries I have. I am still waiting for the Lipo's to arrive, (Guess it's the Christmas shoppers). So the chart that Greg has done is a great way of keeping check. But the putting the locos facing in/out is also a brilliant idea. The only thing wrong with that one though is I only have a 4 battery locos, then again even they can by used the in/out way.....

IrishPeter
Driver
Driver

Post by IrishPeter » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:10 pm

ge_rik wrote: ↑Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:59 am
IrishPeter wrote: ↑Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:47 am I am afraid that when anyone mentions 'LiLo' batteries my mind goes to the usually unseen character of Lilo Lil off 'Bread' - the late 80s early 90s (IIRC) British Sitcom. Funnily enough I was ordained priest at a church in Toxteth, not so far from where the series was set.

Cheers,
Peter in Va
Is that in the same vein as Mike Harding's "Back Entry Bertha" who used to carry a mattress with her in case she met someone she knew?

Rik
I would assume so.

Mike Harding also had the 'Strumpet Rambler' whose rucksack converted into a bed just in case...

Peter in Va
Traffic Pattern? What pattern? Spuds out; grain in, but cattle, sheep and passengers are a lot less predictable.

Robert Hammond
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Robert Hammond » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:45 pm

In reply to gregh regarding gas stove/blowlamp, at least you can see and hear what is happening. You cannot see inside a battery until damage becomes catastrophic. I have never been in favour of sensors on vehicle components and oil level to warn when attention is needed. They do save getting your fingers dirty, but you tend to rely on them and then find out too late that they are not working. You can't beat looking and listening. That's what's great about railways, you can see and hear them working.