Semi-scale BR: a Bulleid tank engine

A place for discussing battery-electric locomotives, whether they're diesel, steam or even electric outline
BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Semi-scale BR: a Bulleid tank engine

Post by BertieB » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:34 pm

Hello again from the alternative reality where British Railways appears to have been 3'11" gauge – with a cartoon-scale 0-6-4T, based on one of Bulleid's satisfyingly brutal, Q1-derived tank engine proposals.

The consensus seems to have been that the Q1 defined 'ugly duckling', though personally I think they look terrific: uncompromising and functional, unconstrained by conventional styling sensitivities... all that sort of guff. Cheap to make and twice the power of an M7 but Bulleid, I've read, by now perhaps feeling his way towards the Leader project, abandoned it as 'boring and stodgy'. What a guy!

This one’s plasticard, with a few GRS and Walsall fittings, on a seriously customised Piko motorblock from G-bits (Thank you). About 390mm (15”+) length overall (rather shorter than prototypical, as usual). Not quite finished: spurious detailing and touching-up, varnish, glazing, crew, R/C, etc, to come. Made a bit of a mistake with that seam on the cab roof but, hell, I’m pretending not to notice, at least for now.

Scale, as always, is slippery.

Persuaded by reading so much about it on this forum, this is will be my first attempt at Deltang R/C battery power. Shedloads of room for it, I hope.

Bulleid steps, that both look right and survive being taken down from the shelf, have me beat, so they've gone freelance. One set have already been broken and replaced
Bulleid steps, that both look right and survive being taken down from the shelf, have me beat, so they've gone freelance. One set have already been broken and replaced
1_Q-primer.jpg (123.46 KiB) Viewed 7011 times
Other Q1-derived, tender and tank engines were considered at one time or another, apparently. Plenty of scope for lots more plasticard
Other Q1-derived, tender and tank engines were considered at one time or another, apparently. Plenty of scope for lots more plasticard
2_Q_profile.jpg (143.16 KiB) Viewed 7011 times
Batteries to sit over motorblock; receiver upright at back of firebox; switch and charging socket under cab
Batteries to sit over motorblock; receiver upright at back of firebox; switch and charging socket under cab
3_Q_f3-4.jpg (140.63 KiB) Viewed 7011 times
Paper in bunker was a temporary measure to stop me smearing epoxy all over the place. Cross-section 'loading gauge' curvature somewhat exaggerated
Paper in bunker was a temporary measure to stop me smearing epoxy all over the place. Cross-section 'loading gauge' curvature somewhat exaggerated
4_Q_r3-4.jpg (131.76 KiB) Viewed 7011 times

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Re: Semi-scale BR: a Bulleid tank engine

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:08 pm

Brilliant..... you have done it again, I love the way you adjust reality and get away with it!
The Deltang system is the best money can buy (in my opinion) and is fitted to all my locos.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by invicta280 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:28 pm

Awesome! What a handsome beast.
Video of it in action when you're ready please :D

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:42 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:08 pm '...you adjust reality and get away with it!'
That's very kind of you, thank you - I do, um, wonder what on earth I'm doing with this stuff occasionally. And, yeah, I'm beside myself with excitement regarding getting the Deltang stuff installed and working. Can't help but be aware though, that it may well make the rest of the home fleet immediately obsolete! Well, not quite so much fun, at least

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:53 pm

invicta280 wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:28 pm 'Video of it in action when you're ready please'
Yes, thank you. I'm rather hoping that the always-to-hand, immediacy of R/C ought to help improve my video efforts too...

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:43 am

You have loads of room for a Deltang setup in that loco as I can get my installs comfortably fitted into live steamers.

Treat yourself to a soundcard!

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:26 am

What a monster, I love it! And I didn't know Mr Bulleid had some Q1-esque tank engines planned - yours is very believable, a kind of Q1/Standard tank love child, certainly not "boring and stodgy", although I love the quote. You've got a great eye for messing about with scale and proportions whilst still capturing the essence of the original loco/idea - I'm looking forward to seeing this one running...

Cheers,

Andrew.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:12 am

It’s all been said….Fantastic work. Forget about scale, who cares, it’s one of those builds that members and others should admire :thumbright: :thumbright:

By the way, what chassis did you use please.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:40 am

Outstanding
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:11 pm

Andrew wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:26 am 'What a monster, ...a kind of Q1/Standard tank love child...'
Thank you. Exactly. I've not seen drawings of this proposal but I've read that a criticism of the Q1 at the time was poor visibility when running tender first, so adopting the LMS / Standard tank, bunker and rear window arrangement would have seemed an obvious way to go, I thought.
Last edited by BertieB on Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:23 pm

FWLR wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:12 am '...By the way, what chassis did you use please?'
Thanks. It's the smaller Piko 0-6-0 (BR80) motorblock, with bespoke rods, from G-bits (who have helped me out a great deal over the past few years) with the pick-up skates removed and larger wheels fitted.

And thank you, everyone, for your kind remarks.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:53 pm

Lovely looking model. Always look forward to seeing your latest creations. Agree with you about G-Bits. I've found him to be vey helpful.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:20 pm

ge_rik wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:53 pm 'Always look forward to seeing your latest creations'
That's very generous, thank you. I'm afraid you're (at least partly) to blame for my challenging new foray into Deltang R/C. But that's OK...

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:28 am

Rik got me into Deltang as well so you are not alone!

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:11 pm

Thanks folks. Not sure I can shoulder all that responsibility. I think David at Deltang must take a large chunk of the credit for inventing such a clever system

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:09 pm

ge_rik wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:11 pm 'Thanks folks. Not sure I can shoulder all that responsibility...'
You're too modest. Your explanatory posts and videos encouraged someone who’s completely clueless about this sort of thing (me), to give it a go.

Some months later and, needless to say, my cunning R/C installation plan turned out to be a bit silly: untidy and unnecessary.

The built-in battery box was OK but when the stuff finally turned up, a better Plan B turned out to be to shove the R/C components together in a single ‘drop-in module’ - a plasticard box, to sit wherever it can be hidden, in this case in the bunker. It’s a more sensible idea than the laboured, ‘domestic wiring’ approach I'd intended, anyway.

I’ve since found a copy of the book by Bulleid’s son about the great man which (among many other concepts and proposals) includes a 1945 drawing of the 0-6-4T (see below) - there are a couple of obvious outline differences (and a much longer wheelbase) but the model (compromised proportions apart) isn’t really too far away... I'm telling myself. Should have bought the book first.

Original book caption says: '...probably the most unsatisfactory wheel arrangement in the history of steam engines'. Blimey
Original book caption says: '...probably the most unsatisfactory wheel arrangement in the history of steam engines'. Blimey
Bulleid_plan_Q1_tank.JPG (141.32 KiB) Viewed 4110 times

There’s now a (very tall) member of the footplate crew, presumably a management trainee sent by Bulleid* from head office, judging by the over-the-top outfit, casually confident demeanour and disregard for safety. And, astonishingly for the 1950s, there’s a woman on the footplate as well. They’re glued to the same cab-width base, so they can each have a go at looking backwards.

Years after I started doodling Q1s (and preposterous derivatives) we’re almost up and running. A few repairs to do – then I’ll give it a go. Yikes!

(*Whoops! He would have gone by now, of course...)

I’ll have to tidy up the inside of that box, fixing everything neatly in place. Above it, there’s a very large chap, who leans out of the cab with his hands in his pockets
I’ll have to tidy up the inside of that box, fixing everything neatly in place. Above it, there’s a very large chap, who leans out of the cab with his hands in his pockets
1_box_figures.jpg (155.66 KiB) Viewed 4110 times

Receiver and aerial still not taped into place
Receiver and aerial still not taped into place
2_bunker.jpg (116.93 KiB) Viewed 4110 times

Strapping 1/24 bloke in cab rather gives the game away. And, can anybody recommend a reliable eggshell varnish? I get a different result every time I do it: absolutely flat - or shiny... Same stuff supposedly (Humbrol satin). This one’s towards shiny - but on a dull day
Strapping 1/24 bloke in cab rather gives the game away. And, can anybody recommend a reliable eggshell varnish? I get a different result every time I do it: absolutely flat - or shiny... Same stuff supposedly (Humbrol satin). This one’s towards shiny - but on a dull day
3_top_F3-4.jpg (162.94 KiB) Viewed 4110 times

The sun’s out - now it’s definitely shiny...
The sun’s out - now it’s definitely shiny...
4_Top_R3-4.jpg (146.18 KiB) Viewed 4110 times
Last edited by BertieB on Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:41 pm

Given the loco is not weathered you don't want a matt finish so the shine off the paint work looks right to me.

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:20 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:41 pm Given the loco is not weathered you don't want a matt finish so the shine off the paint work looks right to me.
You're quite right, I don't want flat matt - but a soft sheen. My problem is aiming for a soft 'satin' sheen but sometimes seeming to get 'gloss'. This one isn't as extreme as some previous attempts. Shiny tends to emphasise the dodgy bits.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:35 am

BertieB wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:09 pm
I’ve since found a copy of the book by Bulleid’s son about the great man which (among many other concepts and proposals) includes a 1945 drawing of the 0-6-4T (see below) - there are a couple of obvious outline differences (and a much longer wheelbase) but the model (compromised proportions apart) isn’t really too far away... I'm telling myself. Should have bought the book first.

Bulleid_plan_Q1_tank.JPG
I prefer yours I reckon - Bulleid would've gone for sloping tanks too once he'd built the prototype and realised his crew couldn't see anything...

I was always rather jealous that a friend who went to a different school had a "Mr Crick" as a form tutor and Technical Drawing teacher - he used to be Bulleid's assistant, I believe...

Cheers,

Andrew.

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:47 pm

Andrew wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:35 am
'I prefer yours...'

'...a friend who went to a different school had a "Mr Crick" as a form tutor and Technical Drawing teacher - he used to be Bulleid's assistant, I believe...'
Thank you!

There’s a Mr JG Click, who features in ‘Bulleid of the Southern’: could he be the man?

Similarly, some years ago, when it was still professionally acceptable to pop into the pub at lunchtime, my way to the bar at the local boozer was invariably blocked by three seated elderly gents. The father of one of them (whose surname I never thought to ask) had, I learned, been an assistant to Bulleid and the son had proudly inherited an entertaining repertoire of Hilarious Anecdotes - not that I now remember any of them, sadly.

An interesting aspect of of the book is just how chummy with each other the (now revered) senior 'locomotive design community' of the time appear to have been, with a couple of obvious exceptions. They seem to have spent a lot time together socially as well as professionally: family visits, dinners, golf and generally taking the mick. Bulleid and Peppercorn for example, might seem unlikely cronies from their reputations today but they're pictured at Bulleid's place, grinning at the camera, way back in the mid 20s.