HGLW Wittenberg-Schafer Loco

A place for discussing battery-electric locomotives, whether they're diesel, steam or even electric outline
Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Re: HGLW Wittenberg-Schafer Loco

Post by Peter Butler » Wed May 16, 2018 1:32 pm

My preferred option would be to build the body first and apply filler as required in any gaps, then smooth the areas before using any sealer.
I have much experience of using shellac and French polish during my career and wouldn't recommend spraying it as it will block the jet very quickly. I doubt it would be possible to clean any spray equipment afterwards.
If you can find a cellulose based equivalent that would be far better.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Wed May 16, 2018 2:11 pm

I am with Rik on this one narrow gauge is ruff and ready!

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Wed May 16, 2018 4:54 pm

It looks good to me Rik. So good that the picture and your review has convinced me that one of these will be my next loco purchase.

Ian
Ian

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Wed May 16, 2018 4:56 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 1:32 pm My preferred option would be to build the body first and apply filler as required in any gaps, then smooth the areas before using any sealer.
I have much experience of using shellac and French polish during my career and wouldn't recommend spraying it as it will block the jet very quickly. I doubt it would be possible to clean any spray equipment afterwards.
If you can find a cellulose based equivalent that would be far better.
Sounds good to me Peter, thanks. I'm used to blocked jets. It happens frequently with acrylics in the airbrush.

Many thanks,

Ian
Ian

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Wed May 16, 2018 5:18 pm

IanC wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 4:54 pm It looks good to me Rik. So good that the picture and your review has convinced me that one of these will be my next loco purchase.

Ian
Agree - sanding the two top corners into rounded corners makes all the difference - make it look more prototypical to me - and the finish on that paintwork is spot on - its all about the number of think layers rubbed down in between
Where did I put that uncoupler?

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Wed May 16, 2018 5:28 pm

I'm about to place a Toolstation order but looking at Rik's finish beginning to wonder if it is overkill.

Rik, how did you bend that exhaust?

IanC
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by IanC » Wed May 16, 2018 6:25 pm

bazzer42 wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 5:28 pm I'm about to place a Toolstation order but looking at Rik's finish beginning to wonder if it is overkill.
No, it isn't overkill. Wood always benefits from sealing. MDF is different as it is in effect a pulp, and as has been pointed out the glue used is water based. Properly sealed it will reduce the number of coats required to get the kind of finish Rik has acheived.

Ian
Ian

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:59 pm

bazzer42 wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 5:28 pm Rik, how did you bend that exhaust?
Sorry, only just seen this. I find that the 'New Posts' link doesn't always seem to find things I've not seen. Anyway, my apologies, I shouldn't blame technology!

I used copper tube for the exhaust as it was the only round metal I had of about the right diameter. To make sure it didn't kink, I threaded some brass rod through it and the just bent it by hand. If I'd had some brass rod of the right gauge, I'd have used that.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:58 pm

Here's my addition to this post - still on trial at the CHLR and needs a driver - will eventually become No.7 and be called Lightning ( a nod to the locos history) - predominantly be used as the PW loco for the line but with working LED lights, it will also be deployed on evening summer real ale trains - there will be a video to follow at some point
one.png
one.png (340.86 KiB) Viewed 5571 times
two.png
two.png (340.86 KiB) Viewed 5571 times
three.png
three.png (443.49 KiB) Viewed 5571 times

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:11 pm

markoteal wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:58 pm Here's my addition to this post - it will also be deployed on evening summer real ale trains - there will be a video to follow at some point

Lovely looking loco and a good reason for me to think more seriously about using my railway more frequently..... except for the distinct lack of Summer evenings!
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:01 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:11 pm
markoteal wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:58 pm Here's my addition to this post - it will also be deployed on evening summer real ale trains - there will be a video to follow at some point

Lovely looking loco and a good reason for me to think more seriously about using my railway more frequently..... except for the distinct lack of Summer evenings!
I'm lucky that I live in the Costa Del Kent

Dwayne
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dwayne » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:50 am

Cute little critter. :thumbright:

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:46 am

The low relief buildings are they kits?

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:13 am

tom_tom_go wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:46 am The low relief buildings are they kits?
The main station building is certainly a Modeltown resin kit, but looking at their website they don't seem to do the low relief versions anymore?
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:44 am

Lonsdaler wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:13 am
tom_tom_go wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:46 am The low relief buildings are they kits?
The main station building is certainly a Modeltown resin kit, but looking at their website they don't seem to do the low relief versions anymore?
Hi - it was their wrinkly tin station kit built as two halves - the front and the back are the same so lend themselves to this - so I bought the kit then asked nicely if I could buy an extra part that sticks out over the platform and another chimney stack - he was more than happy to sell those to me - so I got two stations for the price of one and a bit
stations.png
stations.png (359.21 KiB) Viewed 5496 times
The veranda on the first it to the right to extend the station covered area - and it would stick out and hit locos if it were attached to the front of the building

The only adaption to do is to cut the gable ends in half - I used a fine toothed hacksaw - support the weight and it works fine

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:06 pm

markoteal wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:44 am
Lonsdaler wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:13 am
Hi - it was their wrinkly tin station kit built as two halves - the front and the back are the same so lend themselves to this - so I bought the kit then asked nicely if I could buy an extra part that sticks out over the platform and another chimney stack - he was more than happy to sell those to me - so I got two stations for the price of one and a bit
stations.png

The veranda on the first it to the right to extend the station covered area - and it would stick out and hit locos if it were attached to the front of the building

The only adaption to do is to cut the gable ends in half - I used a fine toothed hacksaw - support the weight and it works fine
Thanks Mark,
That explains the mystery of the missing low relief version - there was never one! Tom, they do the same building as slate, tin, brick or wood finish. As Mark says, good value two for one modelling (almost) :D
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:59 pm

bazzer42 wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 5:28 pm I'm about to place a Toolstation order but looking at Rik's finish beginning to wonder if it is overkill.

Rik, how did you bend that exhaust?
Hi Derek,

Hope you haven’t sent for that Shellac, this is what I use and it’s far cheaper and just has quick drying.

I bought it in a 125ml tin.

DSCN3575.JPG
DSCN3575.JPG (472.74 KiB) Viewed 2270 times
DSCN3576.JPG
DSCN3576.JPG (461.32 KiB) Viewed 2270 times