Semi-scale BR: Leader and Pannier Tank

A place for discussing battery-electric locomotives, whether they're diesel, steam or even electric outline
daan
Fireman
Fireman

Re: Semi-scale BR: Leader and Pannier Tank

Post by daan » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:51 am

The railway and trains look like great fun to me. Really nice and with a lot of humor, like the plamobil train. It does look great in BR colours! I guess that in a parallel universe where not Brunel and Stephenson had their go, a narrow gauge version of BR excists. On the other hand, the swiss railways also own narrow gauge lines and they try to match the looks of their rolling stock. Imagine BR doing this too, and it's not that odd anymore.

The big experimental steam locomotive in the beginning of this threat is also brilliant! Never heard of it until now..
"En schöne Gruess" from an Alpine railway in Holland.

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:02 am

daan wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:51 am The railway and trains look like great fun to me. Really nice and with a lot of humor, like the plamobil train. It does look great in BR colours! I guess that in a parallel universe where not Brunel and Stephenson had their go, a narrow gauge version of BR excists. On the other hand, the swiss railways also own narrow gauge lines and they try to match the looks of their rolling stock. Imagine BR doing this too, and it's not that odd anymore.

The big experimental steam locomotive in the beginning of this threat is also brilliant! Never heard of it until now..
The (now) Vale of Rheidol line was owned by BR, and in the 70's the locos sported the blue with white logo
VoR1970s.jpg
VoR1970s.jpg (395.85 KiB) Viewed 6782 times
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

Tingewickmax
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Tingewickmax » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:16 pm

Lonsdaler wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:02 am
daan wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:51 am The railway and trains look like great fun to me. Really nice and with a lot of humor, like the plamobil train. It does look great in BR colours! I guess that in a parallel universe where not Brunel and Stephenson had their go, a narrow gauge version of BR excists. On the other hand, the swiss railways also own narrow gauge lines and they try to match the looks of their rolling stock. Imagine BR doing this too, and it's not that odd anymore.
The (now) Vale of Rheidol line was owned by BR, and in the 70's the locos sported the blue with white logo
VoR1970s.jpg
As was the Welshpool & Lanfair, though that closed in 1956. Both were owned by the GWR when nationalised and absorbed into BR. Although it is recognised that BR ceased steam operations in 1968 in fact they didn't till they sold the Vale of Rheidol in 1989, the first part of BR to be privatised. I much preferred the lined BR green express livery though. :)
VoR 001.JPG
VoR 001.JPG (96.75 KiB) Viewed 6769 times

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:37 am

Tingewickmax wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:16 pm
As was the Welshpool & Lanfair, though that closed in 1956. Both were owned by the GWR when nationalised and absorbed into BR. Although it is recognised that BR ceased steam operations in 1968 in fact they didn't till they sold the Vale of Rheidol in 1989, the first part of BR to be privatised. I much preferred the lined BR green express livery though. :)
Couldn't agree more. The 'modern' BR livery looked so out of place on steam locomotives!
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

daan
Fireman
Fireman

Post by daan » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:34 pm

Lonsdaler wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:02 am
That loco really looks odd with the BR logo on her tanks.. It shows that there really isn't that much space between fantasy and reality as one might think.. :D
"En schöne Gruess" from an Alpine railway in Holland.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:46 pm

Both the Pannier and Leader look spot on.

I am currently looking at building a 5 inch gauge 'Leader' as a petrol mechanical. The rational behind it being a 'What-if' they had not been scrapped but re powered and used on the southern. (Also I have acquired a box of bits that contains a very heavily built 5 inch chassis that is crying out for a body.)
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:08 am

Late to the party, sorry. I have to say they are beautiful locos. If it looks right it is right and they look the part.
Thanks for sharing. :D

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:43 pm

Just like we keep saying Derek, “it’s yours so do has you want with it”

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Mon May 21, 2018 10:41 pm

Here’s another daft video:

https://youtu.be/5Ih5wtEAnxU

Still struggling to get it sharp, mind.

Probably best watched on a phone or small tablet (with headphones), to tighten it all up.

(Oh. And I broke my soldered connections to the smoke unit while inserting the batteries...)
Attachments
Leader_speed_800_3.jpg
Leader_speed_800_3.jpg (125.49 KiB) Viewed 5671 times

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue May 22, 2018 9:15 am

Looks sharp enough to me, the bridge is brilliant by the way.

Just run the loco a little slower and just a tad further back and it will look even better I think. :thumbleft: :thumbleft:

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Tue May 22, 2018 10:02 am

I like the signals you use, did you make them yourself or can you buy them as kits/ready made?

BertieB
Fireman
Fireman

Post by BertieB » Tue May 22, 2018 12:02 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 10:02 am I like the signals you use, did you make them yourself or can you buy them as kits/ready made?
Thank you. Signal kits (and ladders) are from Cambrian Model Rail.