Two way remote control anyone?

A place for discussing battery-electric locomotives, whether they're diesel, steam or even electric outline
Southern188
Cleaner
Cleaner

Two way remote control anyone?

Post by Southern188 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:36 am

I've just regained interest in my garden railway again after a couple of lean years, and I'm currently adding a 50 foot extension to my layout and updating the remote control on my 3 locos.

Checking the internet, recent copies of the 16mm magazine and forums, I noticed the improved availabilty of remote control systems since I first started 7 years ago, especially the Deltang and Micron range. However, the technology hasn't changed and still seems to rely on old fashioned pic type processors and one way communication.

With the introduction of low cost, small, simple to program microcomputer modules like the Arduino and ESP8266, widely used by hobbyists in robotics and home automation, I wondered when or if ever this will filter throught to Garden Railway enthusiasts. In particular, such a change would allow two way communication to be introduced. Would there be any need for this?

Information like battery voltage, temperature of the electronics for steam locos and maybe location and actual speed could be returned to the controller and displayed.

Michael

WVLR
Fireman
Fireman

Re: Two way remote control anyone?

Post by WVLR » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:05 pm

I'm working a system at the moment, hope to have something to show at Peterbrough.

Mike - Wood Valley Works http://www.woodvalleyworks.co.uk
Last edited by WVLR on Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike

Wood Valley Works
http://www.woodvalleyworks.co.uk

Wood Valley Light Railway
http://www.wvlr.co.uk

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:06 pm

I have an Arduino operating R/C points and a signal so far on my line, however, it is capable of much more than that.

Your limit is only in coding ability.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:51 pm

There's always Blue Rail - which uses Bluetooth and an app for a mobile phone or tablet.
http://bluerailtrains.com/
They've not (yet) exploited the two way aspect but I'd imagine it won't be long.

Not sure I want to abandon the tactile nature of having knobs and switches in favour of swiping, though.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Southern188
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Southern188 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:37 pm

Thanks for the replies. Mike, I should be at Peterborough, I'll come and have a look. Tom, I had noticed that you were using an Arduino (through a search), which is why I joined this forum. Rik, thanks for the link, yes that is what I was looking for. I agree sliding a finger on a phone/tablet won't be the same, a hand-held unit is preferable.

I have been using Arduinos in my locos for a while now with information being displayed on a controller but I have to admit it has been more of a gimmick than of any practical use.

However, following a recently completed home automation project, I'm updating my locos with the same technology (ESP8266 modules) and this opens up new possibilities, well for me at least.

All the locos are on my local network (extended to the garden) and can be controlled via a custom hand-held unit or phone/tablet.

I just wondered if there was any interest, in which case, I would provide further details when I get things working.

Michael

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:20 pm

Post away Michael in a new topic of what you have been up to please.

Are you able to write your own code as I would be interested in that as well.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:02 pm

Southern188 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:37 pm.
However, following a recently completed home automation project, I'm updating my locos with the same technology (ESP8266 modules) and this opens up new possibilities, well for me at least.

All the locos are on my local network (extended to the garden) and can be controlled via a custom hand-held unit or phone/tablet.

I just wondered if there was any interest, in which case, I would provide further details when I get things working.

Michael
Definitely interested. Keep us posted.

Rik
------------------------

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:37 am

Really interesting prospect! I can see how imaginative use of the tech that's around might be deployed to provide feedback from an electric loco. For a steam loco, though, what kind of sensors might be developed for reporting things like boiler pressure, gas and water levels? Or would it be simpler to beam back pictures from a driver's view in-cab camera?

I like the idea of it - but in practice, I've not even got round (yet) to fitting any kind of remote control to my locos at all! I will, for at least one of them, but there's something to be said for simplicity, too!

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Post by TonyW » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:42 am

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:49 am

TonyW wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:42 am Riverdale have done this: http://www.riverdale-loco.com/Telemetry.html
That's a very nifty bit of kit!

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:23 pm

Tony beat me to it as I was going to mention Riverdale.

Also, I believe the Deltang Rx65b is capable of two way communication as that's how it is programmed when used with a computer.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:42 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:23 pm Also, I believe the Deltang Rx65b is capable of two way communication as that's how it is programmed when used with a computer.
I don't think it will transmit via the airwaves though, Tom. Though, as you say, it does communicate with the Prog module so some info must be sent back.
Interesting notion though - you've got me thinking. I wonder if I could build a small purpose-made Tx which would fit inside a live steam loco .......
No, I must get on with the other 102 items on my to do list!

Rik
------------------------

Southern188
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Southern188 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:02 am

Thanks for the riverdale-loco link. Nice to see someone doing it and interesting that they equate boiler temperature to pressure. I might try that. However, I don't like using a model aircraft 'joystick' controller for trains and that's why I use my own.

Have my first loco working (a Bachmann Lyn) and gave it had a good live test yesterday. Wi-Fi coverage good even when it goes behind the summerhouse. The metal locos will be more challenging.

Will write something up but not done this before so might take time. Here's a video:

https://youtu.be/zhis5NTbec4

Michael

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:05 pm

Southern188 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:02 am I don't like using a model aircraft 'joystick' controller for trains ......
Me neither. Much prefer a knob. I was considering finding a supplier (or making) a regulator type of lever instead of the knob to make it a bit more loco-like.
Southern188 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:02 am Have my first loco working (a Bachmann Lyn) and gave it had a good live test yesterday. Wi-Fi coverage good even when it goes behind the summerhouse. The metal locos will be more challenging.
Will write something up but not done this before so might take time. Here's a video:
https://youtu.be/zhis5NTbec4
Michael
Fascinating. I like the idea of utilising the technology which already exists in the house. Just a bit concerned about overloading the router. Sometimes we get glitches if three of us are using wifi at the same time. How would it be if I had four locos in operation while the missus was also online in the house?

Rik
------------------------

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:47 pm

I agree, impressive.

Have you written the code from scratch or is there modules already available you can import and edit?

Rik, many things impact Wi-Fi performance so hard to determine if this would work for you using your current set up.

If you were going to start down this road I would create a new network with separate hardware that is NOT connected to the Internet!

Southern188
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Southern188 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:20 pm

Rik, as Tom says it depends on your network/router but I have a simple BT router and have a dozen or so items connected at the same time.

Tom (I assume?), obviously the main items like connecting to the network, MQTT control, reading a temperature sensor, outputting to the display are taken from online tutorials. The number of lines of code required to receive a message and output to the motor is surprisingly small.

All the devices are on my main network. I take security very seriously, sufficient to say that the SSID on the video is not mine. I changed the software of the controller to that displayed just for the video!

Anyway without connecting to my main network, I wouldn't be able to say:

"Alexa start train" :)

Only joking... , I hate the concept, but possible.

Michael