Convert LGB

A place for discussing battery-electric locomotives, whether they're diesel, steam or even electric outline
FWLR
Driver
Driver

Convert LGB

Post by FWLR » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:34 am

Hi, are all the LGB models 45mm if they are can they be re-gauged to 32mm and are they battery or track powered, i may be able to buy some at a reasonable price and before i enter into buying them i would like to know if they can be re-gauged please. :thumbright: :thumbleft:

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Re: Convert LGB

Post by bazzer42 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:15 am

Think that is a non starter Rod, any lgb I have use the gap between the wheels to sling the motor so no easy way to convert. Rolling stock can be quite easily but locos are a no from my knowledge.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:09 am

All track powered sadly and as Bazzer has said not really possible to regauge. New chassis would be about the only option. I have seen a bachmann baldwin regauged, these use a similar motor and gearbox block but this meant major surgery on the motor block and the result wasn't particularly satisfactory.
I have never seen a regauged LGB loco and I think if it was a goer lots of people would have done it.

Good luck with your search for motive power.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:23 am

As said above, from my experience, it would be difficult, nigh on impossible, to regauge an LGB loco. The motor blocks are usually made from a single plastic casting based around a double-ended motor. If you tried narrowing the casting you would lose the seatings for the wheel bearings.
IMG_8423.JPG
IMG_8423.JPG (58.95 KiB) Viewed 3374 times
Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:11 pm

I agree - I've looked at lots but there are always 'gubbins' in the way - rolling stock is usually a much easier job, a case of getting wheel sets with long axles
Where did I put that uncoupler?