PDF Models Quarry Hunslet

A place for discussing battery-electric locomotives, whether they're diesel, steam or even electric outline
Big Jim

PDF Models Quarry Hunslet

Post by Big Jim » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:42 pm

After being a bit preoccupied over the last few weeks an unexpected day off allowed a bit of progress on the Quarry Hunslet.

Nothing has actually been assembled yet but there has been much sanding, filling and priming.

I started by spraying a good coat of spray primer on in to cover the print marks and then rubbing down, this did not prove as effective as I had hoped. I have never been a fan of spray primers, probably due to me expecting it to work better than it does.

I ended up sanding and filling using stopping paste before giving it a coat of grey primer. The standard primer seemed to work better as a filler coat than the filler primer as it appeared to self level to a degree. The brand is use is Simoniz and for a primer it is quite shiny.

There is a little more filling to do but not much.

I am having mixed feelings about this kit, I do think that 3D printing is very good, however there is a fair amount of worked needed to clean it up afterwards. You could just stick it together and paint it I suppose but I fancied a nice smooth finish.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Re: PDF Models Quarry Hunslet

Post by ge_rik » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:41 am

Interesting ..... I had wondered how much work would be required. I assume the striations of the printing process will be quite evident on the 'smooth' surfaces. Does the filler primer tend to accentuate the ridges?

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:04 am

It does rather and seems to fail to fill the troughs. Filler primer does vary between brands though.

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:42 am

I'll be following this one with interest as I fancy building the cabbed version - the filling/prep work etc is what has put me off getting a 3D Printed kit yet - I've got a few small scenic parts from SLR (https://www.facebook.com/SLRModels) in Yorkshire and most of that seems to have a reasonable surface finish - fairly easy to smooth where required and on some items, I've left the texture in place to some degree (i.e.) wooden items as it feels more prototypical - of course on a loco, it does need to be smooth to represent the metalwork, especially when painted.
Where did I put that uncoupler?

peter holcombe
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by peter holcombe » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:46 pm

I have built one of these cabless Hunslets and for the price i think its great value,With regarding the filler to remove the printing lines i sanded first then sprayed with filler spray (3 thin coats) then undercoated with 3 to 4 coats then finished off with a good wet and dry paper using plenty of water.once dry and clean topcoat was added in 6 very thin coats.i wiil put a couple of photos to show the finish tht i achieved.
P.S I dont have any interest in PDF Models just a happy customer
Peter

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:23 pm

I have just played with a different brand of filler primer. It seems to be working much better as a filler.
As I said before I have never been overly keen on filler primer.

DLRdan
Driver
Driver

Post by DLRdan » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:40 pm

Probably far too late but don't use sand paper. I used 80 grit wet and dry paper in water on my Ruston LAT and was done with the body in 5 mins. I then swapped to a fine grit to get it fully smooth. Go for good quality paper as the cheap stuff tends to disintegrate.
Dan,

James: "Dan, can you use your hearing and tell me if that trains coming ?"
DLR
www.freewebs.com/dlrail

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:23 am

I did use w&d but never thought about using stuff that rough.
Might try on the next one.

Maple
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Maple » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:34 pm

Jim the work really pays of, do not be put off, i like to think of it of buying the basic shape for detailing. In PDF's case the basic shape is very good. :)
'Professional Bodge artist '

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:47 pm

A bit of progress on this today as the other projects are on stop until I can get some bits at the Exeter show in a few weeks.

The chassis is now complete, if a little stiff. I think that once it has run for a bit it should get a bit more free and easy.

I have managed to get more modelling done in the last few weeks than I have for years. Next week and the weeks following look fairly full already so its time to make hay while the sun shines so to speak.