Battery v Track power - my contribution

A place for discussing battery-electric locomotives, whether they're diesel, steam or even electric outline
ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Battery v Track power - my contribution

Post by ge_rik » Tue May 23, 2017 3:28 pm

I know this is not a hot topic on this forum, but on others it tends to generate a lot of correspondence and a fair bit of hot air! I've put together my viewpoint on the issue - which, of course, is very subjective.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Big Jim

Re: Battery v Track power - my contribution

Post by Big Jim » Tue May 23, 2017 4:22 pm

My only experience of powered track outside was in 4mm
Enjoyable but the track cleaning and constant wiring repairs became a pain very quickly.
Battery powered locos or steam is definitely the way to go IMHO.
Nice video Rik, succinct and to the point.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Tue May 23, 2017 7:33 pm

Big Jim wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 4:22 pm My only experience of powered track outside was in 4mm
Enjoyable but the track cleaning and constant wiring repairs became a pain very quickly.
Battery powered locos or steam is definitely the way to go IMHO.
Nice video Rik, succinct and to the point.
Thanks Jim

I reckon I was probably spending as much time, if not more, on track cleaning and maintenance than I was running trains. I certainly run a lot more trains now than I used to under track power as I can literally pluck a loco off the shelf, put it on the track and start running. I then follow it round with a pair of secateurs for its first circuit to get rid of the overgrowth - and then that's it - hitch up a few wagons and I can have a train trundling round while I'm doing some gardening.

Rik
------------------------

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Tue May 23, 2017 8:08 pm

Radio control does not offer all of the perks as DCC does, however, running trains outside using track power - jog on kitty :thumbup:

I can remember replacing all my insulated frog points in my OO scale days for electrofrog and it made a big difference!

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue May 23, 2017 9:24 pm

I agree wholeheartedly with Rik, battery power is perfect for my circumstances too. Even in indoor exhibition environments 16mm scale trackwork can lose supply to locos due to dirty rail so outdoors it would be a nightmare, particularly when access and layout size are taken into consideration, it would put me off any kind of operation completely.
I use the Deltang system, (from RCTrains) but not to its full potential, just forward/reverse and speed control. it is so responsive and well priced in the market I have no desire to change.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

markoteal
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by markoteal » Wed May 24, 2017 1:56 pm

Peter Butler wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 9:24 pm I agree wholeheartedly with Rik, battery power is perfect for my circumstances too. Even in indoor exhibition environments 16mm scale trackwork can lose supply to locos due to dirty rail so outdoors it would be a nightmare, particularly when access and layout size are taken into consideration, it would put me off any kind of operation completely.
I use the Deltang system, (from RCTrains) but not to its full potential, just forward/reverse and speed control. it is so responsive and well priced in the market I have no desire to change.
Ditto - I used to run 00 and 009 but only insides and track wiring was always the bain of my life - now I love the ability to run battery locos with RC and be able to get something up and running asap - like Rik said, at the moment the first circuit is best done with a big loco and a pair of snippers to clear the every growing foliage - I just snip and pop into the wagons I hitch up behind the loco - I even have one wagon that dispenses gardening wire as we go - that way its a real works train!

Once the battery locos have cleared the loading gauge with a few runs, its safe to fire up the steamers!
Where did I put that uncoupler?

DG
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by DG » Thu May 25, 2017 6:35 am

I have been on the same journey, started out with an LGB starter set and I am now in the process of converting everything to battery power using Deltang. I am not sure if I would have got here as easily or at all if I had not discovered this forum or Rik's blog. Thank you all, especially Rik. Dave

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu May 25, 2017 7:27 am

DG wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 6:35 am I have been on the same journey, started out with an LGB starter set and I am now in the process of converting everything to battery power using Deltang. I am not sure if I would have got here as easily or at all if I had not discovered this forum or Rik's blog. Thank you all, especially Rik. Dave
Thanks Dave. When I started my blog (just over ten years ago), I just wanted to provide an 'over the shoulder, warts an' all' account of my journey into garden railway modelling. I had no idea where that journey would take me and so I'm pleased to hear that some of my meanderings have been helpful.

Rik
------------------------

martin.retired
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by martin.retired » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:32 pm

I have a railway running un PECO G45 track. My locos are live steam or R/C battery. Last year I bought a Bachmann Thomas set (solely for my grandchildren of course) with the intention of converting Thomas to battery power. I couldn't bring myself to take him apart and perform invasive surgery (something to do with those swivelling eyes), so I had a go at track power. I found that after giving the track a good clean using plastic washing-up scourers on a stick, Thomas ran successfully over most of the line. The only problem areas were where the track had been taken apart. A few new PECO track joiners and a rub with fine emery paper over the rail ends solved the problem. It seems that a quick clean of the track - which I was doing anyway - before each session was sufficient to maintain good running for the season. This year in the Spring all was well apart from one part of the line where a fox or squirrel had disturbed the track and it had to be re-joined. I've read on another forum about parallel power feeds, bonded track, rail clamps instead of PECO joiners etc etc, but in my limited experience none of this was necessary. This year I successfully converted one of my battery locos to track power, but I like the flexibility and multi-running benefits of battery power so I'm not a total convert.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:39 pm

It sounds like you have had a good experience with track power.
It can work as you and others have found out.

daan
Fireman
Fireman

Post by daan » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:05 pm

It depends greatly on where you live. I live near the sea, about 5km's at the north is sea, 10km's at the south is sea, 20km's to the west is sea and just a small piece of land attatching our island to mainland. We always have salty air and the LGB track needed to be cleaned intensively before each run.
I made a few locomotives with 12 power collecting points and they where almost trouble free, but the standard Stainz locomotives sometimes didn't even run a foot without stalling. Since I run live steam or battery power and it works fine obviously.
"En schöne Gruess" from an Alpine railway in Holland.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:59 pm

Just out of interest has anyone tried a RELCO unit outside? Or are they not compatible with LGB stuff?