Boaz - Simplex

A place for discussing battery-electric locomotives, whether they're diesel, steam or even electric outline
Big Jim

Boaz - Simplex

Post by Big Jim » Tue May 23, 2017 3:07 pm

I recently acquired an IP simplex secondhand from David aka River Lin of this parish.
It ran great and looked fine, but I decided to mess it about a little, I wanted to fit RC and 4WD
This did mean that it had to come apart and as a result did need a quick repaint.

I followed much of Ge_Rik's advice regarding the batteries and installation, have a look at his Blog Posts for more information.

The 4WD was a chain set up and fitting it was a bit of a fiddle but not overly hard, I am given to understand that this will help the haulage capabilities a fair bit.

You can also see the Lipo batteries that were squeezed in to provide a higher voltage for the Deltang receiver.

It all just about fitted in, although various wires had to be glued in place to stop them being caught in the wheels.

The big gaps under the bonnet were filled in with plastic detailed to suggest mechanical gubbins and it was all painted and varnished. I wanted to give the impression of well used, decay and it seems to have worked. Slight reaction between the primer and the black paint have helped with this.

I managed to find some very old rub down letters (Priced pre-decimal) and so the name was chosen partly to reflect what was left on the sheet. For those of you who don't know their ancient Hebrew or their Old Testament, Boaz was married to Ruth but more importantly the name means "In Strength", which I thought was either, fitting due to the newly fitted 4WD, or ironic due to the small size of the beastie.

Finally I even found a use for the labelling machine I have had for years. I have found that due to having a brain like a colander it does help if you write things down. So the TX is now sporting a list of the engines that it will control.

Incidentally this will probably be the last project to come from the PMR (Cardiff) workshops as another move is due.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Boaz - Simplex

Post by ge_rik » Tue May 23, 2017 3:12 pm

A fine looking conversion, Jim. I can testify that chain drive is well worth the effort.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Tue May 23, 2017 9:31 pm

Nice work Jim, and I am impressed that the RC operates off only two batteries, I thought it needed to be greater but I may have missed some info somewhere?
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Tue May 23, 2017 9:44 pm

The cells are 3.7 volts wired in parallel. The RC runs on anything above 3v I would have used two nimh AA's but I don't think that would have been enough.

SpudUk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by SpudUk » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:10 pm

Jim, terrific as ever. Have been after an IP Simplex for a while but my complete inability to do battery and r/c fitting renders that a long way off
Chris Auckland

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:46 pm

Hello Chris,
It's not difficult, have a go. I am no electronic whizz at all.

River Lin
Fireman
Fireman

Post by River Lin » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:21 pm

Hi Jim.
Looks great. Bet she's more powerful with 4wd.
David
David T.

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:57 am

To fit all that in such a small package is amazing.
Grant.