Charger Advice

A place for discussing battery-electric locomotives, whether they're diesel, steam or even electric outline
SpudUk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by SpudUk » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:59 am

tom_tom_go:123034 wrote:So that is 7.2v then providing the batteries are healthy.

The charger I recommended will work but you will need to change the jack to 2.1mm or use chocblock, etc.

Have you tried the loco out as 7.2v is quite low for a loco that size?
No not yet - waiting on a new transmitter to arrive
Chris Auckland

Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver

Post by Chris Cairns » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:27 pm

SpudUk wrote:But I found another one inside, which I couldn't appear to see did anything

It seemed to connecting into this box
The black switch is the power on/off switch connected to the Mtroniks speed controller (looks like one of the Viper range). So this power switch needs to be in the on position in order for the Run switch on the buffer beam to work properly.

If you do not have them, you should be able to download the instructions for the Mtroniks Viper ESC here (enter the appropriate Viper model in the search box) - http://www.mtroniks.net/

Looks like there are only 5 cells which does seem low voltage for this loco, particularly with a sound module as well.

Chris Cairns

SpudUk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by SpudUk » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:06 am

Chris Cairns:123038 wrote:Looks like there are only 5 cells which does seem low voltage for this loco, particularly with a sound module as well.
Took it apart today again and realised there are another 5 behind - sorry!
Chris Auckland

James from Devon
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by James from Devon » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:45 pm

Much healthier voltage for that loco!

The 1/4 inch jack plug is an audio plug, although it can carry voltage I would change that for a standard 2.1mm DC plug. The advantage being that you can likely use the same charger for more than one loco.

Hope you enjoy the loco, they are great, I have one that will pull the side of the house down.

Cheers

Jim
Garden railways don't run on steam or electric rather wine and Jedi master level patience

James from Devon
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by James from Devon » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:47 pm

Sorry for the second post. I thought this may be handy..

https://www.rapidonline.com/truconnect- ... mm-20-1094

I buy all my electronics from Rapid....they are cheap but there is a postage charge but they do sell things like glues, tools and thinners which are also cheap, it can make the postage charge worth it.

Hope its useful

Jim
Garden railways don't run on steam or electric rather wine and Jedi master level patience

SpudUk
Fireman
Fireman

Post by SpudUk » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:26 am

Oh strewth, that means re-wiring! I'll have to get my dummies guide to electronics out...
Chris Auckland