Dunitrong Locomotive Works

A place for discussing battery-electric locomotives, whether they're diesel, steam or even electric outline
Dunitrong
Cleaner
Cleaner

Dunitrong Locomotive Works

Post by Dunitrong » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:38 pm

Hello and welcome to Dunitrong Locomotive Works!

In this thread I'm going to try and document the locos on our little garden railway.

To start things off, this is one of the recent projects - mostly finished now.
1.JPG
1.JPG (132.34 KiB) Viewed 11607 times
This is the starting point - a laser cut plywood body bought off ebay for a few pounds.
2.JPG
2.JPG (124.94 KiB) Viewed 11607 times
This is the chassis - it was designed on the computer and laser cut by RazorLab. It runs really freely when unpowered, and when running in reverse without the motor bearings rattling it is very quiet too.
3.jpg
3.jpg (145.06 KiB) Viewed 11607 times
Here is an in-progress shot showing some of the rivets added and the start of the interior. The little oil can and louvre panel are 3d printed on a homemade Prusa i3-type printer. The rivets are tiny craft gems, and the exhaust some brass tube.
4.jpg
4.jpg (156.24 KiB) Viewed 11607 times
5.jpg
5.jpg (168.54 KiB) Viewed 11607 times
And here we have the final model all painted up, with little additional details like lamps and levers in the cab, and the window frames, which were also 3d printed and nicely slot in to the openings in the body.
6.jpg
6.jpg (178.33 KiB) Viewed 11607 times
Moving on, this is the next project, an IP engineering railcar. This on has a DelTang receiver in it, and I am hoping to get directional LEDs working on it, and want to update this thread when I have more progress on it.
Last edited by Dunitrong on Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:07 pm

Great start to your collection.... very well made and finished. Keep us updated on your railway as it progresses.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

Annie
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Annie » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:35 pm

Great fun, - welcome to the forum :)
What has Reality done for you lately?

sstjc
Fireman
Fireman

Post by sstjc » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:08 pm

I love it. Very well done !
Regards
Barry

www.5inchrail.com

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:01 pm

That's a very nice Simplex - I'll be interested to see how you cram all the gubbins into the IP Engineering kit!

I see you're in the UK: are you a 16mm Association member, and will you be coming to Peterborough? If so, I'm having a display table next to my micro layout, "Flagg Fluorspar" and you'll be more than welcome there, and to have a run (if the bodywork isn't too big)............
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

Dunitrong
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Dunitrong » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:50 pm

I really must apologize for not replying sooner but things been a bit busy.We have joined the 16mm association last month and go to Elsecar garden show.We managed to get all the gubbins into the IP kit and run it round the track.Every thing worked including the lights but not happy all the wiring so going to do it all again!Will keep you posted on developments.Thank you for the offer may try to get to Peterborough. Arthur

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:12 pm

Hello! I really like the look of that little loco, the finish is great... I'm finding myself very drawn to all these little locos...

Andrew.

Dunitrong
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Dunitrong » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:51 pm

Thanks for that I really thought there would be very little interest in this loco. We bought a steam loco last year (mainly for my sons) but I find these battery locos great fun.

Dunitrong
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Dunitrong » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:02 pm

So I'm finally going to get around to posting this other loco.

First a few beauty shots:
locofront.jpg
locofront.jpg (166.83 KiB) Viewed 11607 times
locorear.jpg
locorear.jpg (185.79 KiB) Viewed 11607 times
And one to show how packed the back of this loco is with the electronics:
locoreciever.jpg
locoreciever.jpg (192.32 KiB) Viewed 11607 times
I've also got a little video of it, showing the directional lights. The black waggon has a little speaker playing an engine sound loop.

The final clip shows it pulling a train far too large for it! Those waggons are meant for the Ragleth we have, but surprisingly the little two wheel drive IP railcar could pull them up the hill (just not round the tight corners!) Quite impressive for such an inexpensive kit.
Last edited by Dunitrong on Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:14 pm

I like the sound it makes, what card are you using please?

Dunitrong
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Dunitrong » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:41 pm

The sound card is in the tub/mine car. My son made the sound unit up himself. I'm sorry but this is beyond me He is on this forum (metalmuncher). I will get him to answer you.

metalmuncher
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by metalmuncher » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:38 pm

tom_tom_go:116886 wrote:I like the sound it makes, what card are you using please?
The sound is a 1 second loop taken from a youtube video I liked the sound of. This is in a little 8k microcontroller and plays over and over though a transistor for the speaker. It runs off a 9v battery, with a 7805 to drop the voltage for the microcontroller. The build quality is atrocious, but it's all hidden, and it just about works. It cost a few quid in parts, so I'm not too upset with it. In the future I'd like to get some nice PCBs made up and use a proper amplifier, and perhaps try to load samples off an SD card so I can have higher quality and more samples like horns or starting/stopping, but that's a project for another time :)

robc_wa
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by robc_wa » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:58 am

metalmuncher:116896 wrote:
tom_tom_go:116886 wrote: This is in a little 8k microcontroller and plays over and over though a transistor for the speaker. )
Sounds good. Any chance of a circuit diagram?

Rob

metalmuncher
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by metalmuncher » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:56 pm

robc_wa:116899 wrote:
tom_tom_go:116886 wrote: This is in a little 8k microcontroller and plays over and over though a transistor for the speaker. )

Rob
Sure, here's a quick sketch.
The resistor at the top is to try and limit the current/power through the speaker, and there might be a resistor and capacitor on the output of the tiny85 before the transistor to do a bit of filtering. I'm definitely not an engineer (as I'm sure anyone who knows this stuff can already tell) but I am pretty certain that I'm missing some components that are recommended for more reliable or 'proper' operation. Ah well, it seems to work just as it is, so it'll do for now. :D

robc_wa
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by robc_wa » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:01 pm

metalmuncher:116905 wrote:
robc_wa:116899 wrote:

Rob
Sure, here's a quick sketch.
D
Thanks, might be a bit beyond me what with it being digital!

I reckon I could still build a triode amplifier :lol: but I should have realised before asking that programming a micro controller might be a challenge.

Thanks any way for the circuit. Perhaps if I ever start dabbling in arduino stuff it might be more doable :)

Rob

Dunitrong
Cleaner
Cleaner

Re: Dunitrong Locomotive Works

Post by Dunitrong » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:59 pm

Hi all, I've just completed another loco project, thought I'd share a bit of the build process.

Its got to start somewhere, so I began by cutting the footplate and cab. Most of the body is thin ply.

Here I've got the bonnet done. The doors and window frames are 3D printed. The details do have imperfections from the print process, which filler primer solves a little bit, but I think it's worth it compared to time spent building them by hand.

The roof is a tight fit on the cab top, but is still easily removable. The front grille is from an old PC case.

Some details were turned on the lathe, here the bell was turned from a piece of hex brass stock.

A first coat of paint and test behind the Andel coaches it was meant to pull. The block seems a little high!

Cowcatchers were added, made from brass plate, along with 3d printed multi height couplings.

The body was put on a cheap chassis bought from ebay. It came with 2 sets of 4wd chains, so one was removed for use on another loco. Bargain!

It turned out that the body was a little low, so it was packed up a little bit. Power is from 4x Eneloop Pro AA batteries, and it has a Deltang RC Receiver.
I'll leave you with a few shots of the finished product. Overall I'm very happy with the project, the final cost was quite inexpensive barring the RC gear, and the result is a quite unique model.

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:20 pm

That has turned out nice and looks great with those coaches. I always admire building on the cheap, a man after my own heart.

Dunitrong
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Dunitrong » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:10 pm

Thanks for that.I build railway items in the winter when its to cold to go in the workshop.Its a joint effort by my son and me. He has built a 3d printer and he makes his own RC stuff.Its so nice all the family is involved with our railway Arthur

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:34 pm

Very nice result of good collaboration project.. well done.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:26 am

Great project and a beautiful paint job. As has been said, the coaches look excellent as well. A well proportioned train.
Grant.