First time scratchbuild project - Bagnall steam loco

A place for discussing battery-electric locomotives, whether they're diesel, steam or even electric outline
Tom85
Cleaner
Cleaner

Re: First time scratchbuild project - Bagnall steam loco

Post by Tom85 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:52 am

Finally on it's wheels. It's a long way from perfect, and there are still a few details to add, but I am pretty pleased with it.
IMG_20200726_103816.jpg
IMG_20200726_103637.jpg

ge_rik
Driver
Driver

Post by ge_rik » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:40 am

And so you should feel very chuffed with it! It looks great! Very reminiscent of the original Bagnalls which were quite unique.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:17 pm

Certainly for a first-time build you have achieved something special, it looks right and well thought out. This should inspire you to do more now.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:37 am

That is looking good Tom, you should be pleased. I'm sure you will enjoy running it, knowing it's all your work.
Grant.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:59 am

Nice build Tom. You have done really well for your first scratch build. Your next one will be even better now you know what tiny mistakes you made, there aren't many though are there.

A really fantastic achievement mate. :thumbright: :thumbright:
Rod

Life is so easy when I run my trains. :thumbright:

🚂🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃🚃

https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11364

Tom85
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Tom85 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:08 pm

Thanks for the positive comments everyone. I am really chuffed with it actually. Made a few mistakes along the way - and I'm not at all happy with the paint job - but I'm pleased with the loco all the same. Inevitably I feel I could make a better one now!

Remaining jobs include adding details such as a coal load for the bunker (I'm using a broken up cork for this). I've also discovered that the in-cab controls are extremely frustrating to operate, despite the removable roof, due to the tiny cab (the prototype must have been a real squeeze for 2 people - perhaps they ran with a single person crew?). After a bit of thought, I've splashed out on a 'Loco Remote' unit - a form of remote control operated via smart phone, which I though sounded interesting. I'll keep you all updated on my experiences with that.

If anyone's thinking of having a go at a project like this, my advice based on my novice's experience, would be - absolutely go for it. The prototype is pretty simple for a beginner, and the little Phil Sharples chassis lends itself to it really well (despite having solid wheels rather than spoked ones - if I was worrying about such things!)

Old Man Aaron
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Old Man Aaron » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:33 am

Looks great. Not sure I've ever seen a Sharples chassis used with connecting rods. Looking forward to seeing it at the head of a train.
Anzac Creek Workshops blog - HO, 16mm & 2ft endeavors.