Roundhouse 2015

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:25 pm

funandtrains:107205 wrote:
clay45:106939 wrote:Fat chance now that Accucraft have hiked up their prices there is no competition forcing Roundhouse to keep prices down.
Accucraft may have had to put their prices up to continue to make sufficent profit with the increasing costs they have to contend with. While I would rather their stuff were produced in the Uk similar stuff produced here would, at the present at least, be very much more expensive than it is.
Roundhouse does a brilliant job providing a good customer service to back up a range of products that are respected world wide. If they have to put up their prices to stay in business so be it.
Regards
Andy McMahon

If it moves, salute it.  If it doesn't move, paint it. (RN sailors basic skills course 1968)

RuneK
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by RuneK » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:10 pm

Is this a first? Roundhouse will be showing their new model in Norway tomorrow at the same time that it is beeing unveiled at the Peterborugh show. Wonder why that is? We have 17 hours to speculate on that.
Rune

rebelego
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by rebelego » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:04 am

RuneK:109994 wrote:Roundhouse will be showing their new model in Norway tomorrow...
I guess the model will be in Peterborough only and some printed handouts are presented at Kråkstad.

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:11 am

Well I bet that wasn't something you thought you'd see from Roundhouse....

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Roundhou ... fref=photo

Graeme

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:34 am

Nope, wasn't expecting that... I'm sure it's very accurate etc, but not a thing of beauty, not to my eye anyway... Phew! That's a couple of grand I don't need to find!

Cheers,

Andrew.

bazzer42
Driver
Driver

Post by bazzer42 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:03 am

My wife took one look and said I don't like that! I agree with you and would certainly be overkill on my little line.
I had never looked at Russell closely until now and I have to say thatnit is quite a looker to me.
Money saved being spent Newport v Bury inter office derby. The two Mikes support one or the other, I go for the beer and umpire duties.

Maple
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Maple » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:31 pm

it may be overkill but it is one of the first larger engines i really like rtr. i had thought of build a k1 one day. Still no money though :(
'Professional Bodge artist '

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:45 pm

I wasn't expecting that...
My father is (as we speak) counting his pocket money!

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:45 pm

Blimey! That is impressive.

Shame it has come out in the same year the K1 is due.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

Maple
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Maple » Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:44 pm

Big Jim:110028 wrote:Blimey! That is impressive.

Shame it has come out in the same year the K1 is due.
working in retail myself, are you sure that is not on purpose?

I dont know how much the GRS K1 is ment to be?

I must admit though, at that price it is never going to win the battle over a new workshop :) (would be so warm)
'Professional Bodge artist '

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Post by TonyW » Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:02 pm

I was told by GRS this week...
Big Jim:110028 wrote:Shame it has come out in the same year the K1 is due.
K1 is not due until summer 2016.
Maple:110029 wrote:I dont know how much the GRS K1 is ment to be?
£3995
Tony Willmore
Rhos Helyg Locomotive Works: http://www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RhosHelygLocoWorks

invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by invicta280 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:15 pm

Is that a new colour added to the RH range? Doesn't look like Brunswick or Bronze green to me.

What sort of min. rad would it cope with? It's all academic in my case though as I can't afford it.

paullad1984
Fireman
Fireman

Post by paullad1984 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:10 pm

Very nice but I think if I had the cash I'd go for the K1,nice to see Russell revamped but wish they would do something to deflect the eyes from the visible carrying wheels.

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:25 pm

K1 is not due until summer 2016.
I stand corrected.

It is a rather nice model. One of them and a few B's, along with a rake of Yatton coaches and wagons would be high on my shopping list if I won the lottery tonight.

I could try selling the wife but I don't think that a: - she would approve or b: - she would raise that much money!
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

Dannypenguin
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dannypenguin » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:10 pm

invicta280:110031 wrote:Is that a new colour added to the RH range? Doesn't look like Brunswick or Bronze green to me.
I pretty sure thats bronze green :)

At such a price I'd better hope it sells, two on order for the middle of the year! Lovely model though, kinda appeals to me tbh, shame the business can't justify ANOTHER demo...the old man at the top refuses :crybaby:
Dan

Visit the PFLR website - http://poultonfarmlightrailway.webs.com/
Dean Forest Railway Society website - http://dfrsociety.org/

rebelego
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by rebelego » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:20 am

That was a big surprise. Though, according to quite secure sources it has been planed since 2008. Any photos from Peterborough? The images at the Roundhouse website seem to be only CAD renderings.

Other news: Charles and Criccieth Castle will be discontinued 31.12.15.

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:20 am

Charles discontinued again???
I'm surprised about Criccieth Castle, I always thought it was a great engine?

andymctractor
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by andymctractor » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:25 am

Andrew:110019 wrote:Image
Stunning. :shock:  If/when I have a garratt on my line it will be an unnecessary luxury so the idea keeps getting knoched off the top of my list.  This one is expensive when compared with more 'normal' locos but just oozes presence.
I was going to restrict my line based live steam to an Acc. Countess and a RH Katie with George tender but this is destroying those plans.  I also love the colour.    :happy3:
Regards
Andy McMahon

If it moves, salute it.  If it doesn't move, paint it. (RN sailors basic skills course 1968)

Gary_16mm
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Gary_16mm » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:52 pm

Nice loco but I'm disappointed that once again the Basic Series has been overlooked. Seems like a competition for the biggest loco between RH and Accucraft at the moment.

In the current climate more affordable locos would be appreciated.

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:43 pm

I love Roundhouse engines and generally approve of just about anything they do. This engine is really nice, but there is one thing I DO NOT like:

They say it is NOT available in a manual control version. Presumably this is because they have chosen to reverse the engine using servos mounted in the engine frames, in order to simplify the mechanism. I find this slightly dishonest. One of the things that sets live steam apart from electric-powered models of steam engines is the mechanical fidelity: the idea that you have a "real" locomotive and not an electric-driven phoney. Well, to me a steam locomotive that relies on electronics for its basic function is at best a hybrid and less of a proper steam locomotive.

Watch collectors refer to the ancillary functions of a mechanical wrist-watch as "complications" and they are coveted because it is pleasurable to look at a machine and ponder its mechanical complexity and cleverness when it is working, whether the works are visible or not. Steam enthusiasts, I'm sure, feel the same way about the motion of an engine. They have already "simplified" the Walschaert's motion... I feel that equipping it with electric reverse and making it so it can't function without batteries robs a Roundhouse engine of a desirable "complication" and is cheating a little.

I don't feel that it would be particularly challenging to build the locomotive with a proper functioning reverse lever in the cab. I suppose this is all to keep the cost down, but honestly I don't feel that the kind of chap who can afford one of these in the first place is going to take his business elsewhere just because it costs 100 pounds more for a proper mechanical system.