Reversing lever and assembly for Katie

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
RetroCoder
Cleaner
Cleaner

Reversing lever and assembly for Katie

Post by RetroCoder » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:43 pm

Hello,

I was recently looking at the Reversing lever for my Roundhouse Katie. It is rather flat looking and it got me wondering if there is an aftermarket version that looks a little more realistic. Does anyone know of such an item or have they made one?

Ian

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:35 pm

I don't know about aftermarket, but I have seen older Roundhouse engines on the internet with what appears to be a cast or built-up lever. Looks like they changed to the current 2-dimensional one at some point. I wonder if contacting Roundhouse themselves might bear fruit: maybe they have some older style ones in a drawer somewhere. You never know.

JimboJet
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by JimboJet » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:37 am

Checkout this months GardenRail and Tradesman's Round......DJB are producing a new functioning lever and quadrant.....looks lovely!

RetroCoder
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by RetroCoder » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:40 am

Thanks for the update. I'll check this out next time I'm in WH Smith.

JimboJet
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by JimboJet » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:09 am

To save you the WH Smith visit, try this....

(Click on the thumbnail)

Click to download file
[/code]

GardenRail
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by GardenRail » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:31 pm

Keith S:105330 wrote:I don't know about aftermarket, but I have seen older Roundhouse engines on the internet with what appears to be a cast or built-up lever. Looks like they changed to the current 2-dimensional one at some point. I wonder if contacting Roundhouse themselves might bear fruit: maybe they have some older style ones in a drawer somewhere. You never know.
They have not got any because I bought the last of the old style ones. I am now changing gradually to the DJB ones which are lovely. I blacken the quadrant and use silver restorer on the lever.
Tag Gorton

RetroCoder
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by RetroCoder » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:33 pm

[quote="JimboJet:106109"]To save you the WH Smith visit, try this....
[quote]

Many thanks for that. It looks good but I will have to check for room on my yet to be finished Katie.

GardenRail
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by GardenRail » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:58 pm

RetroCoder:106123 wrote:
JimboJet:106109 wrote:To save you the WH Smith visit, try this....

Many thanks for that. It looks good but I will have to check for room on my yet to be finished Katie.
It should fit. If not get back to me offline and I will see what I can do re original ratchet type which certainly will fit..
Tag Gorton

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:13 am

GardenRail:106122 wrote:
Keith S:105330 wrote:I don't know about aftermarket, but I have seen older Roundhouse engines on the internet with what appears to be a cast or built-up lever. Looks like they changed to the current 2-dimensional one at some point. I wonder if contacting Roundhouse themselves might bear fruit: maybe they have some older style ones in a drawer somewhere. You never know.
They have not got any because I bought the last of the old style ones. I am now changing gradually to the DJB ones which are lovely. I blacken the quadrant and use silver restorer on the lever.
I covet the DJB one for my "Billy" engine, but the current lever is crammed into the starboard side of the cab in front of the lubricator and beside the gauge... currently to move the lever from forward to neutral or reverse I have to either lift the roof or poke my finger through the spectacle. I'm not sure the DJB one would fit without some modification to the plumbing in the cab... the two-dimensional one barely fits!

Someday I am going to completely rearrange the fittings in the cab of that engine. It doesn't need to be so cluttered.

GardenRail
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by GardenRail » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:11 am

I covet the DJB one for my "Billy" engine, but the current lever is crammed into the starboard side of the cab in front of the lubricator and beside the gauge... currently to move the lever from forward to neutral or reverse I have to either lift the roof or poke my finger through the spectacle. I'm not sure the DJB one would fit without some modification to the plumbing in the cab... the two-dimensional one barely fits!

Someday I am going to completely rearrange the fittings in the cab of that engine. It doesn't need to be so cluttered.
I would agree with changing the cab layout on these. never understood why Roundhouse still have the door placed lubricator - I have asked and they say that some customers prefer them (?)I have a Regner mechanical lubricator here that may be worked from the crosshead. You would need  one of the running plate sets from Locoworks to fit however.
Tag Gorton

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:16 pm

I have the running plates already. I really like the loco works details.. That's my locomotive with the funny name and the incorrectly-placed lanterns on the loco works website- the red "Billy".

I have been thinking of replacing the lubricator with one that drains from the bottom and putting it forward against the boiler at the front of the cab, so I can fit a little busy-body figure into the doorway.

However, mechanically the engine works so nicely I am a little reluctant to tinker with it to that extent. Seems like a lot of work just so I can fit a more realistic reversing lever in there and maybe a busybody...

GardenRail
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by GardenRail » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:31 pm

Keith S:106144 wrote:I have the running plates already. I really like the loco works details.. That's my locomotive with the funny name and the incorrectly-placed lanterns on the loco works website- the red "Billy".

I have been thinking of replacing the lubricator with one that drains from the bottom and putting it forward against the boiler at the front of the cab, so I can fit a little busy-body figure into the doorway.

However, mechanically the engine works so nicely I am a little reluctant to tinker with it to that extent. Seems like a lot of work just so I can fit a more realistic reversing lever in there and maybe a busybody...
I always alter the cabs on all my locos...:-)
Tag Gorton

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:54 pm

I would agree with changing the cab layout on these. never understood why Roundhouse still have the door placed lubricator - I have asked and they say that some customers prefer them (?)I have a Regner mechanical lubricator here that may be worked from the crosshead. You would need one of the running plate sets from Locoworks to fit however
I also think that the door hole mounted lubricator is a bit obtrusive and could be better sited/hidden.

I have a recently acquired billy that will be going through the workshop soon, how much modification is needed to fit a Regner mechanical lubricator? Presumably a fair bit of re plumbing is required?
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Post by TonyW » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:03 pm

Not all Roundhouse locos have a lubricator with a side-mounted drain. For example, the Darjeeling B-Class has a lubricator with a drain in the base and, with a bit of thought and tinkering, it could be used to replace an existing lubricator.
Tony Willmore
Rhos Helyg Locomotive Works: http://www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RhosHelygLocoWorks

JimboJet
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by JimboJet » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:43 pm

Tag,

I hope you can forgive my document post above! I love GardenRail on my iPad...it comes around the world with me.

Jimbo

RetroCoder
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by RetroCoder » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:39 pm

GardenRail:106122 wrote: I am now changing gradually to the DJB ones which are lovely. I blacken the quadrant and use silver restorer on the lever.
Can you provide the dimensions for the DJB lever and quadrant as I couldn't find any details on their website.

GardenRail
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by GardenRail » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:48 am

JimboJet:106157 wrote:Tag,

I hope you can forgive my document post above! I love GardenRail on my iPad...it comes around the world with me.

Jimbo

No worries....:-)
Tag Gorton

GardenRail
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by GardenRail » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:51 am

RetroCoder:106170 wrote:
GardenRail:106122 wrote: I am now changing gradually to the DJB ones which are lovely. I blacken the quadrant and use silver restorer on the lever.
Can you provide the dimensions for the DJB lever and quadrant as I couldn't find any details on their website.
I can - but when I get a time slot :-) I do know they are designed as a replacement for Roundhouse and given that the lever does not have to be sprung sideways to move it I suspect they will fit on most locos. The widest bit has to be the fixing bracket and the bottom and this is the same as Roundhouse.
Tag Gorton