Merlin locos

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
Big Jim

Merlin locos

Post by Big Jim » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:04 am

I have the chance to buy a Merlin 060. I don't know much about them and there is not much info out there. What are peoples opinion/experiences of them?

pauly
Driver
Driver

Post by pauly » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:49 am

I own a much modified Merlin Mayflower and from what Iv been told Merlins tend to go either way, it could be a worn out heap or it could be a golden runner.
Is it completely standard or has its motion been upgraded?

Really you need to see it running
A steam propelled life-style.

funandtrains
Fireman
Fireman

Post by funandtrains » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:57 pm

If it is a well looked after Merlin Major they can be lovely locos although they lack some of refinements of current Accucraft locos. Some of the older Merlin Beck based locos can be more rough. If it has inside frames and a Beck boiler I would want to see it run first unless very cheap.
The current freelance Accucraft UK locos are developed from designs started at Merlin via Pearse and use a similar reversing block and fixed valve gear design.
Cheers, Steve

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:39 am

I have seen pics and it seems to be similar to a Matterhorn but 32mm gauge, strangely the gas knob comes out through the cab front.

funandtrains
Fireman
Fireman

Post by funandtrains » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:04 pm

It sounds like an early Merlin Beck loco as those with Merlin made bodies had the gas tank in this position. There is a rather rough looking example on eBay at the moment is this the one you are talking about? These use Beck boilers and slip eccentric chassis, some run well others are dogs. There tend to be more issues with 32mm or 0-6-0 versions as Merlin adapted the standard Beck 0-4-0 and 0-6-2 chassis and at this time their engineering skills were not up to the standard of latter years.
Cheers, Steve

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:05 pm

No its not the eBay one and it has the walscherts motion.

funandtrains
Fireman
Fireman

Post by funandtrains » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:15 pm

It could one from the mid 80s when they were starting to make their own boilers or it might be a Mike Beeson conversion which are good.
Cheers, Steve

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:22 pm

Thanks for your help, If I decide to treat myself I will post a few pics.
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

funandtrains
Fireman
Fireman

Post by funandtrains » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:10 pm

I like old Merlins and have a few in various conditions and ages.
Cheers, Steve

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:05 pm

I have found out it is a Merlin Midas from the mid eightys. It apparently steams well and is r/c fitted. I like the look of it but I am not too sure about the gas control poking out of the cab front. I will see if it can be moved.

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Post by TonyW » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:45 pm

It might be worth asking if it has a brass or copper boiler. Some from that time had brass boilers and the passing of time can have an adverse affect on them if not looked after carefully.
Tony Willmore
Rhos Helyg Locomotive Works: http://www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RhosHelygLocoWorks

funandtrains
Fireman
Fireman

Post by funandtrains » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:32 pm

I think the Midus variants all used left over Beck brass boilers with regulator and oil filler on the steam dome. I think these all had outside Beck slip eccentric valve gear but some may have been converted. Beck and Merlin Beck locos and parts often come up for reasonable prices so repairs can be made. Just don't pay too high a price.
Cheers, Steve

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:46 pm

Thanks for all your advice folks.
The potential purchase has just got a bit more complex as the it turns out the vendor has another engine for sale. This is a Tom Cooper Rheidol. This is fitted with an osmotor. This is a device I know nothing about. The vendor says that this is a bit uncontrollable as it seems to run at full speed or nothing at all. He seems to think that the osmotor needs a good clean out and lube.
He wants 400 quid each for the locos, I am tempted with the pair although it will stretch the loco fund a bit. Still I could always give one to the current Mrs Bigjim for Xmas. :lol:
If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

funandtrains
Fireman
Fireman

Post by funandtrains » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:07 pm

That sounds like a reasonable price. The Merlin is probably a better loco but the Tom Cooper is a rarer.
Cheers, Steve

DVT Dweller
Fireman
Fireman

Post by DVT Dweller » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:00 pm

Possibly I've got one of each too. Ive a Merlin Measstro that is with Matt Acton at the moment as he has been doing bits on it for me as and when he gets chance.

Its an inside framed 0-6-0 with Beck cylinders and the PTFE type pistons. It did have the old brass boiler and over time this did become more of a sieve. Its had a new boiler built for it and this has give the chance to fir a roundhouse lubricator and regulator in the cab and a water top-up valve. Its always been a fantastic little loco in all honesty and proved itself well running on the Winster Valley.

I've also got a Steamlines 'Rheidol' its a kit built one and not very well built to be honest, bit of a dog. I've got 2 spare osmotors too to try and make one good one from the 3. Mike Lowe has been doing work on it and after a series of leaks, pins catching and general stripping down and rebuilding it does now run. I'm not sure if the one your looking at is a factory or kit built loco or how well it runs, but certainly make sure that which ever loco you go for you do get to see it steaming.

Steamcoaster
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Steamcoaster » Sat May 03, 2014 3:26 pm

I have an old Merlin Midas. Boiler OK. Ran OK from around 1985/6 to 1988. No wheel bearings so frames wore. Valve gear worn too especially rods and crank pins.

Despondency set in as repair effort seemed futile given the poor design.

Lack of parts saw it put in a box. Still have it. Would like to get parts for it if possible.

Boiler is good.

Any help gratefully received.

funandtrains
Fireman
Fireman

Post by funandtrains » Sun May 04, 2014 12:00 pm

Given the number of Beck and Merlin locos built from Beck parts out there it does seem that there is a market for someone to produce upgrade and repair parts. Now that laser cutting and other CNC production has dropped in cost in would seem to be a project that may be worthwhile. I have seen some with reversing valve gear fitted which would be an interesting upgrade to have. Anyone know how many were made? I would guess several thousand maybe even close to 10,000.
Cheers, Steve

Tony
Cleaner
Cleaner

Brass or Copper Bolier and what gas can be used

Post by Tony » Mon May 26, 2014 9:56 am

Could anybody prehaps confirm Merlin Monarch's circa 1987 would these loco's have a Brass or Copper bolier, just got one myself which seems to be in great shape but would like to look after it, I have the original catalouge states sliver soldered and use butane but I also have a sheet which staes in colder conditions you can use propane mix
Tony

paullad1984
Fireman
Fireman

Post by paullad1984 » Mon May 26, 2014 7:06 pm

funandtrains:100278 wrote:Given the number of Beck and Merlin locos built from Beck parts out there it does seem that there is a market for someone to produce upgrade and repair parts. Now that laser cutting and other CNC production has dropped in cost in would seem to be a project that may be worthwhile. I have seen some with reversing valve gear fitted which would be an interesting upgrade to have. Anyone know how many were made? I would guess several thousand maybe even close to 10,000.
Milton loco works DID do replacment parts, but they appear to of gone very quiet, not sure if they're still going

cncmodeller
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by cncmodeller » Sat May 31, 2014 6:56 pm

It's funny all these years on the merlin locos are not that well regarded, when they came out they were considered the best thing since sliced bread and had an inexhaustible advertising budget. Just how that effected other builders in a negative way can just only be imagined.