Smokey Sophie - A Roundhouse/Riverdale Amy coal fire build

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
11thHour
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Re: Smokey Sophie - A Roundhouse/Riverdale Amy coal fire build

Post by 11thHour » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:32 am

Hi Tom,
There was a fairly comprehensive article in Australian Model Engineer about a year ago on building a small 7/8ths two fire- tube boiler. The article ran to 6 or 7 pages and included a computer generated analysis of the heat distribution. The results were fairly posative and makes for good reading if you can get hold of it.
Tim

Hydrostatic Dazza
Driver
Driver

Post by Hydrostatic Dazza » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:34 pm

11thHour wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:32 am Hi Tom,
There was a fairly comprehensive article in Australian Model Engineer about a year ago on building a small 7/8ths two fire- tube boiler. The article ran to 6 or 7 pages and included a computer generated analysis of the heat distribution. The results were fairly posative and makes for good reading if you can get hold of it.
Tim
I am building that type of boiler right now, inspired by those AME articles. I have seen the actual boiler in the articles in steam and it steams like a witch on speed. Pics in my Llewellyn Loco works thread. I have the articles in PDF if some one wants them emailed to them.

http://www.gardenrails.org/forum/viewto ... &start=315

go here for pics the build. I only finally cooked up the back head last Sunday. Preparing for the hydro test , but I am at Gympie this weekend on the 12" to the foot scale trains.

http://www.gardenrails.org/forum/viewto ... &start=360

http://www.gardenrails.org/forum/viewto ... &start=375

http://www.gardenrails.org/forum/viewto ... &start=420
Cheers from Dazza, The Hydrostatic Lubricator 8)
The chances of finding out what’s really going on in the universe are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. Douglas Adams

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:58 pm

Maybe I should of said the Riverdale boiler is the best RTR type in my opinion...

11thHour
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by 11thHour » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:46 am

tom_tom_go wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:58 pm Maybe I should of said the Riverdale boiler is the best RTR type in my opinion...
...and the article agrees with Riverdale, 2 large tubes are better than multi tubes and easier to make.
I am only sorry I didnt know this before I started my current project.

Tim

steamhostler
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by steamhostler » Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:50 pm

Hmmm... Jason Kovacs from Train Department uses an independent boiler maker for his coal conversions.
I wonder if they would be interested in making and marketing 2 flue coal boilers to fit Roundhouse chassis?
James
Grand View Light Railway
Indoors 16mm Live Steam in Colorado USA

artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by artfull dodger » Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:16 am

That would be Justin Koch of Nanticoke boiler works that does Jay's coal conversions. I know he is booked up for boiler work a good year to 2 years in advance. I know at one time they were planning a coal fired Lady Anne, but I am guessing it would be more like the DJB set up with axle pump, working side tanks and the price to go with it. The whole Riverdale concept is to keep the price down to allow more folks give coal firing a try. I would say that the 2 large tubes are much easier to keep clean than several tiny tubes. Its a snap to clean up my Elke after a run.
A friend of mine has one of the DJB saddle tank coal fired engine kits on order for delivery later this summer. He is anxious to have his first coal burner.
Silly NT's.....I have Asperger's Syndrome!