Roundhouse 2013

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
paullad1984
Fireman
Fireman

Post by paullad1984 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:42 am

the big hunslets from dinorwic are roughly the same size as charles, a little less bulky perhaps.

INJIN
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by INJIN » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:42 pm

Now I do like a Mills class. This one is a pretty good scale model. Meths fired of course.

Question is.. would Roundhouse make it "Fatter" to accomodate the gauge 1 fraternity though.

AFGadd
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by AFGadd » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:00 pm

As much as I like the Hunslet Mills Class, I believe it to be too similar in shape to the Penrhyn Hunslets for it to be likely.
My money is still on an England ST, even after all the arguments I've read on this thread...
Andrew

INJIN
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by INJIN » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:11 pm

I wonder...........a fat prince.........Just like fat Linda? hmmmmmmmmm

DVT Dweller
Fireman
Fireman

Post by DVT Dweller » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:04 pm

MDLR:81748 wrote:The rumour at Butterley this afternoon is that it's something Welsh Highland based, but we don't know if it's from the New Big Railway or the Original Preservationists - my guess would be the latter.
Reading what Brian said again that rules out the England's, though having said that it would explain why DJB haven't been in a rush to release Palmerston. I'm still not convinced though, too many variations between the 6 over the years that can't be easily produced on the one basic design. And if its reguagable it's going to look very wrong on one gauge or another. Gelert or as a wild card one of the polish diesels?

KjellAn
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by KjellAn » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:53 pm

I thinks there has been many good guesses here. But I would like Roundhouse to make a special edition of the BILLY. :D

Why? RH could use a lot of standard parts to make the model. Billy is an always good start for beginners, but not everybody has the skills to decorate their engine themselves.
RH have made special editions of the Lady Anne / Silver Lady, Jack, and Charles (with R/C). So let it be a new one this year. :)
An upgrade of the Billy would sell more of this nice little engine. Here are some things to consider; make the cab a little lower, fully sprung chassis, water top up and water gauge, glazed spectacles, a narrow front bufferbeam, and other nice details.
Kjell Anderdal :)

Livesteam 16mm on my line - the Pine Hill Railway (PHRy)

paullad1984
Fireman
Fireman

Post by paullad1984 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:54 pm

even better, why not do Douglas from the TR, or the Penrhyn variants

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:29 pm

The "Billy" basic outline could be used to make lots of models of real engines. There is the Barclay peat-burning engines for one thing (that "Tom Rolt" was built from), and of course "Douglas", another Barclay based on the "Koppel" shape.

The only problem, though, is that most of these little "Koppel-esque" engines are well-tanks with inside frames. "Billy" looks a bit like a Koppel or a Barclay, but with the wide buffer beam, and open "outside" plate frames is quite clearly NOT a well-tank. That's why I put a tender on mine.

If I were going to use Roundhouse parts to make a "Douglas", I would use the "bertie" frames with "Billy" valve gear, boiler, and body panels. Scale-wise though, it might be a bit of a nightmare: The original Tom Rolt was built from a Koppel-y-looking Barclay engine outwardly similar to a Billy in real life, but the 16mm model was quite a bit smaller than a Billy. If you used a "Billy" to make a model of "Douglas" it might wind up being a little larger than the scale purists would like. "Douglas" in real life is a very small engine.

INJIN
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by INJIN » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:13 pm

yes............Douglas is a small engine.

Here is a Mike Beeson exmple

hussra
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by hussra » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:21 am

Ooh, now that's beautiful.

Somewhere on the forum there are shots of the Actons' loco (on an Ogwen chassis). <Rummaging noises> Here it is... http://gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/ftop ... -asc-0.php
Richard Huss
in sunny Solihull

Gary_16mm
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Gary_16mm » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:31 pm

More than one new locomotive apparently!!

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:10 pm

Their Facebook page gets updated more than their main website!
Too bad I wont be there... :( Saturday is always the busiest day at my place...

Palmerston
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Palmerston » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:54 am

one diesel and one steam
Live steam on 45 & 184mm, battery 45mm only.

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:45 pm

Lovely model both of them!
Gelert would've been a better choice IMO...

laalratty
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by laalratty » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:26 pm

I must admit I was surprised when I saw what the steam loco was (the battery loco I've been expecting at some point), but reading back to page 2 I did say that Roundhouse would surprise us! I would have thought that Gelert would have made much more commercial sense though, what with the sister loco nearing completion at Boston Lodge for the Lynton and Barnstaple Railway, and so therefore having the "prototype generic" factor like the Alco and Baldwin. People will buy Karen but I'm not sure how long it will be around for!
"What the hell is that?"
"It's a model icebreaker sir."
"It's a bit big isn't it?"
"It's a full scale model sir....."

MuzTrem
Driver
Driver

Post by MuzTrem » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:44 am

I see what you mean, but I'm sure we'll see plenty of "Karens" in freelance liveries in due course!

I must admit, I'd never before realised how strange Karen's smokebox door is, with that flat, protruding rim. I thought the model looked rather odd until I looked up some prototype photos and realised that it is actually prototypical!

Resurgam05
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Resurgam05 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:12 pm

I suspect a major reason they picked Karen, was because it can still accommodate 45mm whilst retaining the correct scale dimensions.

According to the 7mm NGM drawings Karen is 7' wide (112mm in 1:19), and the Roundhouse model claims to be 113mm (so its pretty much spot on.)

However, Gelert is only 6' 3" (104mm in 1:19), so would probably need widening beyond scale dimensions for 45mm. It also has Bagnall Price Valve Gear as opposed to an inside gear, or outside Walschearts.

Indeed Karen looked very well in the metal.
Best Wishes

David Williams

Hope Mountain Railway
Cleaner
Cleaner

Roundhouse 2013

Post by Hope Mountain Railway » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:59 pm

Well, that's my piggy bank safe for another year! ...... Now if it was a cut down Moel Tryfan and Vale of Ffestiniog, then that would be a different story. Nice models tho. particularly the Peckett, which is a big Mutha and suits RH range - just not my cup of tea. Sure we will see a few of them about.

Dannypenguin
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dannypenguin » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:27 pm

Both are very nice. Looking at the nice comments I have been seeing, I would like a Karen, but my Dad has only managed to get one from Roundhouse (cus he's a dealer) for this year so I ain't got a hope! :x
Dan

Visit the PFLR website - http://poultonfarmlightrailway.webs.com/
Dean Forest Railway Society website - http://dfrsociety.org/

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:32 pm

Oh, my, do I ever want a Karen! Can you guys picture how one in Victorian Maroon would look alongside my "billy"?: (To me they look very complimentary with the stubby side-tanks/whatever those are, the oval spectacles and the square-ish brass dome. Also I quite like the inside valve-gear for some reason. I hope there is a full write-up on this one in "Garden Rail" soon.

Oh, I've got that panic-y "covetous" feeling that usually winds up costing me a lot of money!!!!!

The little diesel reminds me of one of those metal-bodied ones that IP used to make. I like it, too. Maybe useful on an all-steam railway as a "locomotive fetcher".