What primer for Roundhouse white metal buffers?

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
RetroCoder
Cleaner
Cleaner

What primer for Roundhouse white metal buffers?

Post by RetroCoder » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:59 am

I am looking to paint the white metal buffers on my Roundhouse Katie. My question is, can I use a standard grey primer (something from Halfords for use on a car) or should it be an etch primer ?

Vapouriser
Fireman
Fireman

What primer

Post by Vapouriser » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:06 am

I ve used 'special metals primer' on alloys and its very good but a small tin is very large for a pair of buffers this size! It s Hammerite

MDLR
Driver
Driver

Post by MDLR » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:51 am

Bearing in mind that the faces are going to get bashed anyway, I'd use car spray primer, following up with gloss black spray paint.
Brian L Dominic
Managing Director
Flagg Fluorspar Co
www.mdlr.co.uk/ff.html

williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:37 pm

TBH I don't bother painting the buffer faces any more, all of mine are left unpainted but given a once over with some sandpaper.

RetroCoder
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by RetroCoder » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:44 pm

I only plan to paint the back section of the casting and leave the flat plate as bare metal. I’ve done a few other searches and several people say that Halfords grey primer should be fine. I already have a tin and also some etch primer but I wasn’t sure which would be better. I believe the etch primer penetrates the oxidisation found on brass and copper but I don’t think these white metal castings oxidise in the same way. I’ll try the Halfords primer and let you know if it falls off within a short period of time.

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:21 pm

YOu know, on white metal I have never found primer to be particularly necessary. The metal is already a greyish colour in the first place and the metal is quite porous so I find regular paint sticks to it quite well without bothering to use primer.

Adam R
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Adam R » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:17 am

Keith S:72613 wrote:YOu know, on white metal I have never found primer to be particularly necessary. The metal is already a greyish colour in the first place and the metal is quite porous so I find regular paint sticks to it quite well without bothering to use primer.
I had the same experiance, i went to the effort of spraying a load of castings in red oxide primer, then painting them in topcoat

I then painted some wagon axleboxes that get knocked and banged loads, paint has stuck fine with no prep work.

RetroCoder
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by RetroCoder » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:20 am

Thanks for the advice. I now need to visit Halfords to find some red paint to paint the buffers and buffer beam.

Graff B.
Cleaner
Cleaner

What primer for roundhouse white metal buffers?

Post by Graff B. » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:33 pm

I usually clean up the casting with a swiss file and wire wool. Then I polish up the face, paint the coupling with 2 or 3 coats of humbrol satin black, wiping the polished face with a rag and White spirit each time. I've never had paint come off any of my White metal couplings. Hope this helps.