Changing of a Roundhouse Silver Lady - Steamy Clare

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
JonPotter
Cleaner
Cleaner

Re: Changing of a lady...

Post by JonPotter » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:41 pm

Really smooth slow running! Must get a slomo or two...

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:13 pm

JonPotter wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:41 pm Really smooth slow running! Must get a slowmo or two...
Cannot recommend the slomo enough!

big-ted
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by big-ted » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:32 pm

How do you think a SloMo-equipped loco would do for "mainline" running? When I run by myself, I love the idea of shunting a couple of wagons back and forth at scale speeds, but at club running days I'm pretty much stuck doing continuous running at constant speed. I'd be concerned that the SloMo would put increased wear on the motion and reduce run times?

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:58 am

big-ted wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:32 pm How do you think a SloMo-equipped loco would do for "mainline" running? When I run by myself, I love the idea of shunting a couple of wagons back and forth at scale speeds, but at club running days I'm pretty much stuck doing continuous running at constant speed. I'd be concerned that the SloMo would put increased wear on the motion and reduce run times?
The slomo does not reduce top speed so if you feel the need to run your loco like a class A4 then you can.

I can push/pull my SL in 'neutral' with my finger so I would not be concerned with wear on the motion.

As for run times I can still get the loco to plod along at 20 psi with the gas turned right down.

I am so happy with the device that I have another slomo on order for my Riverdale Amy :thumbup:

alex_rowe
Cleaner
Cleaner

Re: Changing of a Roundhouse Silver Lady - Steamy Clare

Post by alex_rowe » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:56 pm

Hi Tom, hi forum,

Not often do you come across a thread which matches what you're after so well...

Amazing job on your loco, by the way. My paint is all still sealed, in its packaging, until I get the proverbials to have a go!

You've done two mods which I am trying to emulate exactly on my Silver Lady:
  • changing the factory RH r/c to a RC TRAINS receiver (already have a transmitter and, in a battery loco, a receiver)
  • Fitting a SSP SLOMO (ordered, hopefully with me in January) with a replacement drain cock servo.
With the former, I'd love to know whether I can simply disconnect one receiver and connect another, whether it's just soldering that's required, and how to reprogramme functions and servo ranges of movement - if that's necessary.

With the latter, it'd be nice to have the dimensions of your replacement servo rod, what thickness and type of wire you used, and info on the connections at the ends of the rod.

I look forward to being able to contribute - when I know a bit more!

Cheers,

Alex

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:18 pm

Hi Alex, glad you made it from YouTube to here.

First question, you mention a replacement drain cock servo. I did not change the stock one fitted to my Silver Lady so why are you unless Roundhouse have changed the servo layout of the loco since I purchased mine and you cannot fit the Slomo with the current servo fitted?

With the Deltang RC Trains install I did not have to make any changes to the existing wiring or servo adjustment other than fit a servo reverser for the whistle servo as I am using the bind button to activate that servo and you cannot change the 'throw' on the bind button. As you can see in my pictures I did away with the AA battery pack that Roundhouse use in the roof and bought a battery pack to fit in the body but I don't think you want to do this as you mention you already have a a battery?

The servo rod is a standard Roundhouse one so order a couple in case you make a mistake and snap one on your first attempt (I did). It is difficult for me to give you exact dimensions of the rod as it is now installed in the loco so I would suggest you build a mock rod like I did (using easier to bend electrical wire) and then when you are happy use that design for the actual servo rod you intend to you. When you bend the servo rod heat it up as it will be easier but don't go mad with the heat as it's not durable enough to withstand high temperatures.

The rod is threaded at one end which is where you will screw the slide valve back on that controls the flow of steam up the chimney or out the pipework under the cylinders. The other end needs to hook into the servo arm. I found it difficult to bend such a small hook that was in the right position for the servo so I bent the end of the rod into a L-shape instead and then soldered a brass washer on top of the rod so that it would not pop out.

Hope that's enough to get you started but it you need further help let me know.

It makes a change for me to help someone else railway wise (maybe I am getting older and wiser) :mrgreen:

alex_rowe
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by alex_rowe » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:29 am

Hello from the other side (of Christmas.)

Thanks for that very comprehensive reply, and for welcoming me to the forum.

My first boo-boo: I didn't mean servo, just the servo rod. I'll do as you suggest and get a couple from RH, so they're already threaded etc. If I'm changing it to incorporate 2 right angles, won't it need to be longer, though? I have a friend from work who has offered to help - he's building a 5" gauge Black 5, of all things, so has the kit (and more).

As for the RC Trains receiver (Rx102 ordered), it sounds like it will work a dream. I don't have a whistle on my RH loco, yet, but perhaps it would be wise to allow for that now to save tinkering later. Otherwise, is it just a question of taking out the factory RH receiver and soldering the RC trains one in, pin for pin? I thought I'd have to programme it "and stuff"...

Exciting times...

artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by artfull dodger » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:10 pm

I have fitted a Slomo to my RH Billy that is under construction. Why not just undo the grub screw if you want to run at a quicker track speed without the slight gear whine or drag of the Slomo? I am going to break in my Billy this way for atleast the first few runs. I prefer to run a "scale" speed with my narrow gauge engines, most gentlemen I see on youtube are running way to fast most of the time. Yes, running scale speeds without the Slomo is more challenging, even with good RC control, not so easy with manual control. Of coarse, a really good long or heavy train will tame a jackrabbit engine. But we do not seeing anybody say not to pull heavy trains. If you are doing proper maintance of your motion, flushing old oil and grit out and replacing with fresh oil, then wear should not be an issue. If it does eventually become an issue, new rods are but a phone call away, or drill them out and put bushings in them like the real engines have. Cant wait to run my Slomo fitted Billy! Back to working on him. Mike the Aspie
Silly NT's.....I have Asperger's Syndrome!

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:19 pm

Hi Alex,

When you ring RH just ask for the Silver Lady simulated drain cock servo rod as they cut them down to save on postage costs.

You don't need to solder any of the RC Trains install, it's all plug and play.

steamer68
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by steamer68 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:35 pm

Hi Tom I have just finished reading this thread and you have done a stirling job on your loco build. I do really like the slow mo in the steaming of your loco. :thumbleft:
Regards
Kevin

alex_rowe
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by alex_rowe » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:43 pm

Hi folks,

Weirdly, I replied already, even saw it said “101 posts”, then came back later and there’s no sign of it...

Got the Rx102 wired in, and the factory fitted aircraft style RC kit is no more. My observations:
  • The control is beautifully smooth, just as I was told to expect.
  • The servos have a habit of ‘twitching’ with no input, and controls neutral. As though they are waiting in nervous anticipation for me to twist a knob. Both the regulator and reverser. Doesn’t seem to affect the motion when you move the controls, but I wonder why it is, and whether it uses battery.
  • The default seems to be that the ‘Speed’ dial on the Tx22 mimics the regulator, in direction and travel - that is to say that fully clockwise is regulator closed, and fully anti-clockwise is full chat. With a pause at the centre detent. This is obviously (and maybe hazardously) different from a battery powered loco on another Selecta channel. What alternatives are there? What do you guys do?
  • The servo for the dummy drain cocks is operated using the Bind button, and to hold the servo in the drain cocks position you have to hold down the Bind button.
Really interested to hear your thoughts.

Alex

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:14 am

Hi Alex,

I have started a new thread for you yesterday (your original response is there) as the questions you are asking are not related to my loco:

https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 29&t=11583

Please use this new thread so others can help you.

Tom

alex_rowe
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by alex_rowe » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:46 pm

Tom - back on this thread now, and back to the original topic: Silver Lady improvements.

1) I’ve fitted the SLOMO. What an excellent device. Now, I can hear the mechanism (and expect to, somewhat) but should I be able to grease it up with something, to keep that noise to a minimum? If so, with what?

2) RH have sent me 2 (your idea!) servo rods. These have a threaded end which links to the servo clip thing, and the other end has no thread. Did you use the threaded end to go into the piston in the exhaust block? It strikes me that this is a fiddly bit with expensive bits and I wonder if you could detail how you detached/disconnected the original rod and attached/connected the new rod, particularly at the piston end?

Thanks again!

Alex

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:23 pm

Hi Alex,

The slomo does not need lubrication (confirmed by Terry himself) because I asked the same question when I first got my one.

The threaded end of the servo rod should be used for the piston that is used to direct steam up the exhaust or through the pipe work under the cylinders.

The piston simply screws onto the threaded end and is locked in place by a nut.

You just need to get in there mate and play around, if I can manage it with no engineering background anyone can.

Tom

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:59 pm

No trains today as it is raining so I thought I would lag the pipe work on My SL:

20180304_152912-01.jpeg
20180304_152912-01.jpeg (304.53 KiB) Viewed 8558 times
20180304_152901-01.jpeg
20180304_152901-01.jpeg (333.89 KiB) Viewed 8558 times
20180304_152818-01.jpeg
20180304_152818-01.jpeg (370.05 KiB) Viewed 8558 times

I might leave this lagging white as I have singed it to burn off any fine hairs.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:09 am

I am surprised how much the lagging has reduced condensate on this loco.

As it runs with a SSP Slomo and my line is not continuous I suspect I suffer more condensate problems than most so this is why it is noticeable to me.

I can now have the Summerlands Chuffer FX set to use the large hole (big steam plumes) without the loco being showered in oil.

If you plan to lag pipe work make sure the body will still fit around the pipes as I had to rework a fair bit of the piping to make the body fit back on easily with no resistance.

I want to repaint this loco as I have never liked the gloss finish but don't know whether to paint her as a well used black and grimy loco like Sophie (my Riverdale coal fired dragon) or keep the existing colour but start again with a satin or matt finish.

Then there is the problem of time!

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:58 am

tom_tom_go wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:09 am I want to repaint this loco as I have never liked the gloss finish but don't know whether to paint her as a well used black and grimy loco like Sophie (my Riverdale coal fired dragon) or keep the existing colour but start again with a satin or matt finish.

Then there is the problem of time!
There is another alternative, if you like the original colour, then give the model a coat of satin clear on the red bits and matt clear on the black bits. You'll need to experiment a bit, as a lot of clear coats have acrylic in them and they will soften and get tacky when hot.

Can't help with extra modelling time, I found mine by retiring. I assume your missus is unlikely to go out to work to support you in the manner you might wish to become accustomed?....... 8)

Graeme

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:44 pm

I keep being told that you are busier when retired Graeme!

After painting the wheels on my Riverdale loco I decided to have a go on my SL:

20180614_205408-01.jpeg
20180614_205408-01.jpeg (366.33 KiB) Viewed 8712 times

Slightly weathered as with my other loco. It's nice to see the wheels rotating now in the evening sun.

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Post by TonyW » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:14 pm

tom_tom_go wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:44 pmAfter painting the wheels on my Riverdale loco I decided to have a go on my SL:
Good man!

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:21 pm

I thought you would approve Tony, shiny wheels urk me as well.

First run with her new painted wheels:

20180615_185619-01.jpeg
20180615_185619-01.jpeg (387.69 KiB) Viewed 8649 times