Changing of a Roundhouse Silver Lady - Steamy Clare

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
Lner fan Sam
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Lner fan Sam » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:01 pm

Have you considered fitting the running boards from locoworks Tom?
my first live steam engine build thread:
http://gardenrails.myfreeforum.org/about6685.html

Sam Wake

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:29 pm

Hi Sam,

Yes I have these fitted (sorry about the poor quality of the pictures as the lighting in this room is rubbish at night):

Tom (Locoworks Tom that is!) sold me at a reduced price just the back pieces of the running boards as I have shortened my buffer beam. Nice guy to deal with and clearly has a passion for what he does so good luck to him.

I had a go at respraying the front buffer beam with a different shade of red and with smaller hex bolts as well. The grab rails and door handle on the cab doors (also from Locoworks) have also now been painted black.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:43 pm

Been a while since I have managed to get outside with a loco due to the weather.

Here she is with her new Lady Anne dome (so to match the Riverdale 'Amy' once finished):

I prefer this one to the original that comes with the SL as it has a hole in it which although makes topping up water easier looks looks wrong (to me anyway!)

Big Al
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Big Al » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:45 pm

That's looking nice Tom, Is the Dome a standard Lady Ann one and have you fitted a pop safety valve or is it still the Roundhouse one.
Allen Hopper - early retirement can't beat it !

Gremlin
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Gremlin » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:37 am

I think I prefer this new dome, great looking engine.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:38 pm

Thank you gents for the comments (and nice to hear from you David, glad you have not been blown away or drowned in the weather where you are).

It's a standard Lady Anne dome sprayed by RH, however, to get it to fit on the SL you need to change the water top-up valve due to the size difference:

One on the left is original SL top-up valve

The safety valve is standard RH one although I cleaned it which is why it might look different ;)

Dannypenguin
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dannypenguin » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:34 pm

That loco is sure very nice :) Just shows how bare and boring my Bertie is... ;)
Dan

Visit the PFLR website - http://poultonfarmlightrailway.webs.com/
Dean Forest Railway Society website - http://dfrsociety.org/

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:57 pm

You've seen Chris Bird's videos about decorating his "Bertie" haven't you Danny? Those parts aren't very expensive. Many's the time I've thought about getting a "Bertie" of my own after seeing what Chris Bird did with his. I might yet.

williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by williamfj » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:14 pm

At first I wasn't too keen on the look with the plain dome, however looking at her again it's grown on me and I think it looks better than the lipped dome did.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:34 am

But you can go 7/8ths with your Bertie Danny very easily ;)

Dannypenguin
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Dannypenguin » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:42 am

tom_tom_go:96856 wrote:But you can go 7/8ths with your Bertie Danny very easily ;)
Haha, no, especially after scaling everything to 16mm... ;)
Keith S:96843 wrote:You've seen Chris Bird's videos about decorating his "Bertie" haven't you Danny?
I saw a couple of them before I purchased my Bertie, I've never wanted to do to much with it just in case I go "I don't really like that" after it's fitted....Its probably a lot harder to take off then...Should be getting some of the Roundhouse cosmetic details soon though to liven it up a bit (brass dome, cosmetic whistle, brass chimney cap). Anyway, back on topic!
Dan

Visit the PFLR website - http://poultonfarmlightrailway.webs.com/
Dean Forest Railway Society website - http://dfrsociety.org/

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:27 pm

Sorry to revive an old war horse!
Just a quick question for Tom_Tom
Does your smokebox door open? Our resident Lady was a 2007 model with the opening door, and the door and smokebox face both distorted.
Quick email to Roundhouse an a new smokebox front arrived and fitted, with the Lady now back as THE main engine once again!
If anybody else has an early Silver Lady, get the smokebox changed! :)

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:48 pm

No problem.

Here is what you need to know:

http://www.roundhouse-eng.com/ss12.htm

The smoke box door can be removed, however, is not hinged.

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:51 pm

The smokebox isn't easy to undo I must admit. but once I did it I didn't swear that much!
Many of our Group were shocked when we could see the distortion, as it is a favorite of the Gloucestershire Group! :)

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:03 pm

I find it so odd that Roundhouse smokeboxes are built with doors, and then they are soldered shut. Granted there isn't much reason to open the smokebox door, but still, it's a strange thing to do considering at least in the case of "Billy" and "Lady Anne" the doors are cast separately in the first place.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:02 am

You can ask RH to not solder when you order, however, unless you are coal firing I don't see the point of you needing to open it.

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:42 pm

Nor I, but it does take more effort to solder them than it does not to, so I wonder why they bother. There must be a reason: other manufacturers make them with opening smokeboxes. Mercer traction engines have opening s.b. doors even though they are pot-boilers!

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Post by TonyW » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:22 pm

Keith S:97792 wrote:... but it does take more effort to solder them than it does not to ...
I'm not so sure. If you were doing a batch of them with gas torch in hand I reckon it would be a lot quicker and easier to solder them than to make and fit a working hinge and a retaining clip or dart bar and then make sure the door opens and closes properly. An opening door can also complicate the painting process.
Tony Willmore
Rhos Helyg Locomotive Works: http://www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RhosHelygLocoWorks

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:51 pm

I guess I'm looking at it from the point of view of having built a kit; the job wouldn't have been any harder with or without the door. But I guess for making in batches, a quick solder job on a dozen at once would save a lot of effort over fitting doors. I guess. I'm looking at mine now, it has a soldered door but before it was soldered there was a hinge pin fitted. No dart though.

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:45 pm

The battery was starting to go on the loco so while I had it apart to replace it I thought I would do some jobs that I have been meaning to do:

Removed all the flaking paint from her pipework (I prefer this look so will not repaint):

Made a start on her new roof:

Soldering and filing to cover the holes did take a while, might use Milliput in future as the roof does not get hot.

I have some small magnets on order so that the roof can be magnetised to the body when in place.