O Gauge Hornby tinplate to live Steam

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
JohnR5
Cleaner
Cleaner

O Gauge Hornby tinplate to live Steam

Post by JohnR5 » Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:09 pm

Hi All,
This is my first foray into steam (and building a loco!) so I'm hoping for advice from you more experienced hands.
I was able to buy this lovely little (non-working?) Type 50 0.4.0 on Ebay and separately the correct tender so they will be the basis for my steamer.
I have my eye on an Axminster modeller's lathe - more learning curve since I've never used one.
I have ordered some 35mm copper pipe for the boiler, a 1/2" MaccModels pressure gauge and some Aerogel insulation so protect the paintwork around the boiler.
I plan to mount a Mamod whistle horizontally from the top rear of the boiler in the cab with the lever poking through the cab roof. I hope to be able to recess a bush into the top of the boiler low enough to fit a Mamod pressure valve (uprated to 40psi) which I hope can also act as a filler point under the standard little dome.
I plan to use a single action cylinder mounted between the front of the chassis plates driving a cranked axle with some sort of throttle valve on the exhaust.
I hope to use spirit to fire it with a tank in the tender feeding the small burner reservoir via a flexible PTFE tube
My first questions are:
does anyone see any obvious flaws in my plan so far?
what thickness of brass sheet would be best for the chassis?
Is 40 psi about right for this scale/size of loco?
I would welcome thoughts on how to make and balance the cranked driven axle.
looking forward to your ideas,
JohnR
Attachments
IMG-20221218-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20221218-WA0000.jpg (158.27 KiB) Viewed 3211 times

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: O Gauge Hornby tinplate to live Steam

Post by Trevor Thompson » Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:29 pm

It seems a pity to convert it. It looks in fine external condition. How about restoring the clockwork (I presume) mechanism?

There are lots of plans on the 16mm association website and the steam loco builders group which would give you detailed plans to follow. Many of them also have detailed building instructions which were published in the 16mm association magazine. You would have far more success with that.

I assure you that designing your own, and fitting elements of other peoples designs, into a pre-existing loco will be difficult - particularly since you have not done it before.

Trevor

JohnR5
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by JohnR5 » Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:37 pm

I'm starting to gather the parts and materials I'll need for this project - enough 35mm copper pipe for two boilers, the end caps and a dear little 1/2" steam pressure gauge from Maccmodels (dear on two levels!)
Now that I have a key I can confirm that the clockwork motor doesn't work - feels as though the spring has broken from the winding rod - I'll take it apart and fix it in case I can't get steam to work with it and want to revert to standard.
If someone could advise me on a suitable gauge of brass plate for the chassis I'd appreciate it?
Attachments
20221222_172511.jpg
20221222_172511.jpg (2.78 MiB) Viewed 3089 times

JohnR5
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by JohnR5 » Sat Dec 24, 2022 5:06 pm

Mock-up of frames and boiler mounts. it's going to be tight to get the cylinder with steam input and exhaust between the frames!
Attachments
20221224_170231.jpg
20221224_170231.jpg (2.53 MiB) Viewed 3023 times

artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by artfull dodger » Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:07 pm

To bad you cant fit twin outside cylinders with inside slip eccentic valve gear. That would help with space issues. Turn the valve chests inwards so they are inside the frame and fit the slip eccentrics to the rear driven axle. Even just fixed eccentrics for forward running only could be done that way. Looking forward to your progress. I have a few gauge one tinplate locos I would love to see done in live steam.
Silly NT's.....I have Asperger's Syndrome!