TVT - Dylanesque

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
GTB
Driver
Driver

Re: TVT - Dylanesque

Post by GTB » Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:46 am

Tropic Blunder wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:00 pm Hope the workshop didnt get too flooded in the recent downpours.
Dodged the bullet this time. I set the pump up when the warnings went out and this time the rain was steady, so the guttering didn't overflow. By pumping for about 10 min. every hour or so the water level stayed well below the workshop doorstep.

If the pump specs can be believed, it pumped about 20 cubic metres of water out of the backyard during this rain event.

Graeme

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:30 am

:shock:
Grant.

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:53 am

Time marches on and this model has finally left the paint shop, leaving only one model currently in the queue. The original plan was that this loco would be finished in time for the GSSU last year, it will just make it for this year.

I wasn't that sure of the shade of green at first, but the lining has lifted the final result, as it usually does. The lining was applied using the WW2 vintage drawing instrument set I acquired a while back. There are three colours, the broader inner buff line, a very thin black line, a space and then a thin crimson line, all lining is Humbrol gloss enamel straight out of a new tin.

The two photos below were taken in late afternoon sun today, after exploring the undergrowth and finding that I still have a track. We are well into spring now and the weather is improving. As usual, the TVT engineer has managed to get himself into the picture.

Dylan-j.JPG
Dylan-j.JPG (175.36 KiB) Viewed 3060 times

Dylan-k.JPG
Dylan-k.JPG (180.21 KiB) Viewed 3060 times

No back story for this one yet.

Before the monkey gallery gets too excited about the name, it has no connection to blue locos, it's an old family name. I'm the sixth generation in Aust., the eighth is currently in high school.

Regards,
Graeme

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Sun Oct 29, 2023 12:15 pm

What a beauty!

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:37 pm

That looks the business! And the shade of green works very well with the lining. Lining is something I need to attempt - I can't afford to get my engines done professionally but it would be nice to line them out.
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:15 pm

So now I know at least one loco you are taking to the GSSU. Glad to see painting working out for you, great lining job.
Grant.

pandsrowe
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by pandsrowe » Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:53 am

Wow! That's a fantastic lining job, using a bow pen is not an easy task at the best of times. Believe me, I remember having to do this as part of my apprenticeship back in the sixties and that was working on a perfectly flat surface, so doing this around different shapes l take my hat off to you.
Did you make templates to draw around, or some other method I'm not aware of?
Phil
Phil

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:50 am

pandsrowe wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:53 am Did you make templates to draw around, or some other method I'm not aware of?
I tend to be allergic to templates and jigs..........

The lining on this model was mostly done using the spring bow pen from the drawing set.

The type I have has a removable point, which I replaced with a piece of brass rod. Most of the straight lines were drawn using the edge of the panel as a guide. With a bit of care all the lines of the same colour end up the same distance from the panel edge that way.

Only a couple of bits of straight lining didn't have a panel edge available and they were done using a small plastic ruler as a guide, with a couple of bits of Blu-Tack to stop the ruler moving around.

The corners were done with a 000 sable brush, which was also used to clean up any lumps and bumps in the lining.

All the lining of a given colour was completed and fully dry, before changing colour. That way the settings of the spring bow pen only needed to be changed when the colour changed. A half hour in the oven at 80degC dried each panel, so the next could be applied, otherwise it would have taken a month to do the lining waiting a couple of days for each line to dry hard enough to handle.

The photo shows the only tools used on this model. Not needed this time, but the spring bow pen makes it very easy to follow curved panels like cabs, or put lining around window frames.

I use the ruling pens in the set with a plastic ruler as a guide on models with larger panels, as they carry more paint and the ruler is better supported on large panels such as tenders.

Regards,
Graeme

Lining Tools.jpeg
Lining Tools.jpeg (82.03 KiB) Viewed 2179 times

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:33 pm

I'd always thought you had to thin paints for a bow pen (not that I've tried it since my first abortive attempt around 60 years ago!). Interesting to hear you used Humbrol straight out of the tin.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:51 pm

ge_rik wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:33 pm I'd always thought you had to thin paints for a bow pen (not that I've tried it since my first abortive attempt around 60 years ago!). Interesting to hear you used Humbrol straight out of the tin.
As well as reducing the viscosity, adding solvent reduces the surface tension of enamel paint, so the line spreads out on the painted surface.

Like a lot of things it's a compromise. The paint needs to be thin enough to flow smoothly out of the pen, but the surface tension has to be high enough that the line doesn't spread out. Humbrol gloss enamel straight out of a new tin, used on a gloss surface still gives me the best results. Current Humbrol isn't the paint it was though, it's thinner than it used to be and doesn't keep as long in a sealed tin.

The pen has a lot of effect on lining as well and the blade tips have to be properly shaped, honed and cleaned. In the past when these pens were still used in drawing offices by draughtsmen and tracers they came properly finished from the better manufacturers and the users knew how to keep them that way. That skill is largely extinct now, killed off first by tubular drawing pens and then by CAD software. The modern drawing pens available in artist supply shops and online are crap for lining models with paint.

Graeme

philipy

Post by philipy » Mon Oct 30, 2023 2:18 pm

I think we've had this discussion before, but back in my 4mm days I used a bow pen and Humbrol but I thinned the Humbrol enamel with a small drop of Linseed oil. It takes a bit longer to dry but doesn't spread the paint as using thinners does and doesn't dry out/clog up in the pen. If you are baking the model anyway to dry the lining, I doubt if the increased drying time would be significant.

Having said all that, it's whatever works for the individual and I think we'd all agree that Humbrol has never been the same since the Humber Oil Co. burned down, many years ago now.
Philip

HugoFitz
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by HugoFitz » Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:28 am

GTB wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:53 am
No back story for this one yet.

Before the monkey gallery gets too excited about the name, it has no connection to blue locos, it's an old family name. I'm the sixth generation in Aust., the eighth is currently in high school.

Regards,
Graeme
I'd rather assumed that it was a clever reference to Dylan Thomas the wlesh poet and writer.

Cracking job by the way. It looks stunning.

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:26 am

philipy wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 2:18 pm I think we've had this discussion before, but back in my 4mm days I used a bow pen and Humbrol but I thinned the Humbrol enamel with a small drop of Linseed oil.
I've also seen reference to using linseed oil in Ian Rathbone's book on painting and lining. Boiled linseed oil would probably be better, as it dries quicker than raw linseed oil.

That said, the current formulation of Humbrol enamel is already on the thin side for use in a drawing pen.

I came late (in the 90's) to using Humbrol to paint models and using drawing pens for lining. I first learnt about the need to sharpen drawing pens from reading Steve Barnfield's book.

Regards,
Graeme

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:28 am

Today was a nice sunny day with light winds and the loco had its first run in steam on its home track.

I decided to run it on the big wheel with a light load of three cars and the first photo shows it sitting in the shade on no.2 road ready to go, just as the safety opened.

Dylan-l.jpg
Dylan-l.jpg (203.99 KiB) Viewed 1929 times

The second photo shows it running off the bridge after a couple of circuits and going well in the afternoon sun. With no wind to speak of, the exhaust is running straight back over the loco as it rolls along at about 20 smph. As expected, it runs like a Roundhouse........ 8)

Dylan-m.jpg
Dylan-m.jpg (248.83 KiB) Viewed 1929 times

Regards,
Graeme

philipy

Post by philipy » Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:21 pm

Lovely looking little train, Graeme. :D
Philip

-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Post by -steves- » Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:40 pm

Completely blown away as per usual, amazing job. :thumbup:
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:12 pm

Looks straight out of time. Like a colourised black-and-white.
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works