Brunel

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
hoppy504
Cleaner
Cleaner

Brunel

Post by hoppy504 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:05 pm

I have just purchased a Brunel and have discovered it is standing on three wheels, so presumably it has a twist in the frame. Upon examining the frame it appears to be welded so not a case of loosening a couple of bolts.
Has anyone else encountered this and found an easy solution to the problem ?
The loco does steam really nicely.

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: Brunel

Post by Old Man Aaron » Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:01 am

How large a gap is there between the wheel and the rail? If it's enough to bother you (and it would me!) I'd strip the loco down to the bare rolling frame, then give it a gentle twist in the opposite direction. You'd be surprised at how well this might work on that welded frame.
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

hoppy504
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by hoppy504 » Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:55 pm

Thanks for your prompt reply. I have test run the loco today and am suprised at how stable it was. Upon checking the wheel appears to be approx 1mm off the surface, but after the test I may just accept the problem for now as I am involved sorting a Regner Vincents problem.

Mamod sterling
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Mamod sterling » Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:54 am

hoppy504 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:55 pm Thanks for your prompt reply. I have test run the loco today and am suprised at how stable it was. Upon checking the wheel appears to be approx 1mm off the surface, but after the test I may just accept the problem for now as I am involved sorting a Regner Vincents problem.
Hi,

It might be that the opposite side axlebox is sitting too low, or has been drilled/pressed too low. measuring the frame height above rail in the four corners might confirm/indicate the location of the issue.

Thanks,
Paul.
Mamod SL1 - ripe for modification
Mamod Brunel - ongoing modification
IPE Jane - rebuilt from 45mm to 32mm gauge, 'globetrotter'