Newcomer Roundhouse Billy Build

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
-steves-
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Newcomer Roundhouse Billy Build

Post by -steves- » Wed May 25, 2022 5:16 am

I have only just caught up with this thread.

I would just like to add that I built a Roundhouse Katie (essentially the same thing) about 5ish years ago and I had exactly the same issues with the roof lifting / hinging mechanism. I found it a proper PITA and just tinkered until I got it working the best I could. No idea if it was right or not, but eventually it opened and sat flat with "some fettling" :thumbup: I, like yourself, thought the instructions on this point were somewhat lacking and had room for improvement so clearly it wasn't just me :)
The buck stops here .......

Ditton Meadow Light Railway (DMLR)
Member of Peterborough and District Association
http://peterborough.16mm.org.uk/

siclick33
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by siclick33 » Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:17 pm

I'm still waiting on the paint and I might have to cancel my order with Mimuteman. I was told it was in line to be shipped a week ago but still nothing :x

In the mean time I've been priming the brass parts but nothing worth updating here yet. It has given me the chance to do some other, less urgent, bits including this compressor connection so that I can test the loco on air if I want to.

The fitting that screws to the loco and the pipe were bought from Roundhouse. The 1/8 BSP brass fitting was bought from ebay and drilled out to fit the tube, and an Iwata quick disconnect was added so that I can attach it to my compressor airline hose without having to unscrew anything.

thumbnail_IMG_2689.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_2689.jpg (131.82 KiB) Viewed 4601 times

siclick33
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by siclick33 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:23 pm

Well the paint has finally arrived. The next problem is the temperature is forecast to be above 100f for the next 2 weeks, so there might be another delay :(

siclick33
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by siclick33 » Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:29 am

No posts for a while but progress is being made.

The paint has gone on ok, but not as good as I would like. The satin finish isn't quite uniform but it will do. I tried to brush paint the wheel hubs with Testors enamel but it was awful, so I removed the paint, masked and painted them instead; they now look a lot better.

The build has been ok, but I'm not sure I will do things in the same order when I put my next one together. For example, it's much easier to put the superheater T on before you bolt the cylinders to the frames.

The only issue that I came across was the weigh shaft wasn't straight and need to be bent back. This in itself was fine, and I'm not sure if the bending had anything to do with it, but when it was all assembled the weigh shaft fouled the expansion link pivot pins. This was solved by using a dremel cut-off disk to shorten the pivot pins.

I'm still not happy with the bending of the exhaust pipes but hopefully they will do for now.

I have tested it on air and it does run, but I'm not 100% sure about the valve timing. Once I've got the boiler on and it's running on it's own steam then I'll have another look at it.

I'm currently on another pause as the temp in Texas has been over 100F for the last couple of weeks, and is forecast to be the same for the rest of July, so it's a bit hot to be spraying. I might make a start on the George body tomorrow (which arrived today) whilst waiting for it to cool down a bit.

I've been mulling over what paint to use for the boiler. The Rust-Oleum High Heat paint (2000F) needs to be cured at quite a high temperature and I wasn't sure about that. The BBQ paint doesn't recommend a primer. In the end, I have ordered some Rust-Oleum engine primer and enamel, which is supposed to be good for 600F. That should be easier to cure and hopefully will be good enough; time will tell.

Billy Chassis.jpg
Billy Chassis.jpg (325.66 KiB) Viewed 4313 times

siclick33
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by siclick33 » Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:50 pm

Body soldered, ready for final clean before priming :lol:

George Body.jpg
George Body.jpg (345.43 KiB) Viewed 4269 times

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:03 am

This is very interesting. Are you building a "George" AND a "Billy"? Or are you building your own version incorporating parts of each? I see you have a "George" body there, and in your picture of the assembled chassis, the weigh shaft is curved, like on a "George" or "Katie". The one on "Billy" is usually straight.

siclick33
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by siclick33 » Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:55 pm

Keith S wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:03 am This is very interesting. Are you building a "George" AND a "Billy"? Or are you building your own version incorporating parts of each? I see you have a "George" body there, and in your picture of the assembled chassis, the weigh shaft is curved, like on a "George" or "Katie". The one on "Billy" is usually straight.
Thank you so much! I was beginning to think that nobody was reading this thread so I popped that in there to see if anyone was paying attention :D The picture of my completed Billy body is on page 2 of this thread.

I am indeed building a Billy and a George. I was hoping to wait for the Billy to be complete before I started the next one (so I don't get the parts mixed up) but, as the temps here in Texas are ridiculous (and way too hot to paint) I am running out of jobs to do. The George body arrived last week so I decided to get ahead and put that together. It went a lot quicker after my Billy experience; it's not perfect but it's ok.

I think it could be some time until it is cool enough for me to start painting, so I am trying to find things to keep me busy!

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:52 pm

Ah-ha, I thought something was going on. I like "George". I have a "Billy" that I made, but have extensively modified to look a certain way. If they'd had "George" at the time, that's the one I WOULD have built.

Don't worry, I am probably not the only one who reads every word of every "live steam" post, but usually I only pipe up if I have a question.

Nice work, and about the chassis running on air, I have read that they run different on steam anyway, because everything expands when it gets to working temperature. I think you're right to leave final valve adjustment till it's ready to steam. That's what I did, and even hough I scorched my fingers once or twice, it was easy enough.

siclick33
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by siclick33 » Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:10 am

I like all of the 0-4-0 Roundhouse models but this is possibly my favourite body available for them.

It is a 'Simply 7/8' Henry body. The one in the photo is a bit of a hybrid with a Katie/George boiler but with the Billy smokebox. I think this looks really good so I've ordered the body kit for a future build; this will be a way off yet though as I need to pause a little before I buy yet another Roundhouse chassis/boiler!

products-2113326_1_150x150-scaled.jpg
products-2113326_1_150x150-scaled.jpg (1.51 MiB) Viewed 3957 times

LNR
Driver
Driver

Post by LNR » Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:55 am

Keith S wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:52 pm Don't worry, I am probably not the only one who reads every word of every "live steam" post
I'll second that Keith!!
Grant.

siclick33
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by siclick33 » Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:12 am

What do people think about this?

Good enough for the boiler/smokebox?

thumbnail_IMG_3199.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_3199.jpg (329.96 KiB) Viewed 5363 times

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:29 am

Long as you've thoroughly cleaned the metal with meths (denatured alcohol) or any other paint prep solvent, you can't go wrong with engine enamel. :thumbright:
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:30 am

Old Man Aaron wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:29 am Long as you've thoroughly cleaned the metal with meths (denatured alcohol) or any other paint prep solvent, you can't go wrong with engine enamel. :thumbright:
Agreed. I think that will look fine on your smokebox.

siclick33
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by siclick33 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:22 am

Awesome. Thanks :thumbright:

Name and works plates have arrived from Narrow Planet :D (Not very original names :lol: )

Name Plates.jpg
Name Plates.jpg (252.13 KiB) Viewed 5298 times

siclick33
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by siclick33 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:45 pm

First update in forever!

Temp has dropped slightly so I'm trying to get as much painting done as possible. I've completed the smokebox and boiler and am now trying to touch up some parts and paint the boiler wrapper.

The chimney was painted with U-POL acid etch primer and the smokebox and boiler were then primed and painted with the Rustoleum engine enamel. I'm not sure if the boiler should have been painted but it looks good - fingers crossed that the paint holds up during normal use.

thumbnail_IMG_3702.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_3702.jpg (192.2 KiB) Viewed 5054 times
thumbnail_IMG_3703.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_3703.jpg (206.64 KiB) Viewed 5054 times

siclick33
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by siclick33 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:37 pm

Summerlands Chuffer with FX control fitted.

thumbnail_IMG_3704.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_3704.jpg (96.05 KiB) Viewed 5700 times

siclick33
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by siclick33 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:04 pm

Boiler wrapper painted. I'm a bit disappointed in the colour (it's a lot more pink than I'd anticipated) but it will have to do.

The finish is ok but not great, so I've ordered some polishing compounds to try to buff it up a bit.

thumbnail_IMG_3705.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_3705.jpg (76 KiB) Viewed 5691 times

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:32 am

What kind of paint did you use? I'm just asking because if it's enamel you can pop it in the oven at a low temperature and the paint will harden and darken slightly. Come to think of it, you could do that anyway. If the paint won't withstand 180f in the oven, it won't last long under steam either. If you like I can post before-and-after pictures from when I did that. It might help make your paint colour the way you were expecting. Although I must say in your pictures the colour and finish look pretty good to me.

siclick33
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by siclick33 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:42 am

Thanks for your reply.

The boiler wrapper is primed with U-POL 8 acid etch primer and top coated with Scalecoat 1 solvent based enamel.

All parts have been baked at 200F for 30 minutes.

The colour is Erie Lackawanna Maroon and, in hindsight, I think the colour may be reasonably accurate. I was intending to go for something a bit darker but hopefully it will be ok once it is all finished and assembled.

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:05 am

One thing I've noticed with red enamels is that they tend to darken a little in the months after painting. The oven might've sped that up in your case, but only time will tell for sure. Incidentally, I've also had a rather cool dark green become "warmer" in tone over a few weeks curing.

Nice tidy work in any case!
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works