Merlin Mayflower and...

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
SKGLB
Cleaner
Cleaner

Re: Merlin Mayflower and...

Post by SKGLB » Tue May 31, 2022 4:11 pm

Further small advances on my Mayflower.
I have, what i call it a dual coupling system, installed. On the one hand an LGB (contemptuously called beer bottle opener in German) and an Accucraft system on the front and rear of the buffer beams.

Also two rows of rivets attached next to the buffers.
Repainted the buffer beams with red paint, I hope the paint from the hardware store can withstand the heat?
IMG_6049.jpg
IMG_6049.jpg (202.76 KiB) Viewed 5958 times
IMG_6048.jpg
IMG_6048.jpg (180.77 KiB) Viewed 5958 times
Some viewers will not like this variety of couplings, I have followed a practical ulterior motive and reserved options for the future.
I'm still not quite sure where the journey of the Merlin will go.

Either it stays like it is now, a typical English locomotive with a polished brass steam dome and two sandboxes in front of the smokebox etc. etc.

a rather

Bavarian narrow-gauge model with a steam generator (dummy) next to the chimney, a sandbox dome on top of the boiler, a Westinghouse air pump dummy on one of the sides in front of the water boxes etc. etc.

So either one of the two clutch systems will disappear or it will stay the way it is, I'm not a rivet counter, as long as everything works technically and I can do my laps without any problems, it's fine. At live steam events, I like to couple cars borrowed from other Live steamers if I don't have any of my own or not enough, in Europe mostly LGB material with the typical beer bottle opener couplings. So it can stay the way it is, if you don't like it, that's up to you

I also installed a WeBee safety valve, plus a new adapter, boiler M6 ISO thread, Weebee M5 fine thread turned from brass round material, had no brass hexagonal material (is ordered) so it's round for the time being.
IMG_6053.jpg
IMG_6053.jpg (112.1 KiB) Viewed 5958 times
A small disadvantage resulted from the approx 40 PSI steam pressure, the seal of the drain screw of the steam oiler no longer sealed at 40 PSI and oil escaped.

However, a new, smaller sealing ring fixed the problem.

I am currently considering installing a lantern on the top of the smoke box. Coincidentally, some time ago I bought an English locomotive lantern that is operated with LEDs and a button cell battery.
The smoke outlet on the lid of the lantern is a switch, so it lights up white or red depending on how you turn the switch.
Unfortunately, this tiny construction is a bit unstable, sometimes the light of the LED flickers a bit because the contacts between the switch and the +/- contacts of the LED don't engage properly.
IMG_6057.jpg
IMG_6057.jpg (63 KiB) Viewed 5958 times
IMG_6056.jpg
IMG_6056.jpg (59.08 KiB) Viewed 5958 times
This lamp remains in the English version, the Bavarian version then gets a Regner lantern with a 6V DC light bulb.

I'll think about other improvements.

Was able to buy an original Merlin Loco Works smoke box with chimney on eBay. Since the flame is sometimes difficult to ignite with the original closed smoke box, my plan would be to mill away the door of the replacement smoke box and replace it with a movable door, and that way you can better observe the flame above the gas burner.

But it will still take some time to realize all this, in the next 3 weeks I will, I hope, take part in 2 live steam events here in Austria.
Both are only about an hour's drive from where I live.

The Merlin is ready for this events in its current technical condition, so the optical conversions can wait.

will be continued….

Greetings from Austria, Gerald

Please forgive me for the grammatical nonsense in this post, my little bit of school English and a translation program, which always delivers cheerful results, are my tools to create a post in English. ;)

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:53 am

An opening smokebox sounds excellent. It's one thing I miss about my long-sold Accucraft engine.

The red paint should hold up just fine. I've been having the same problem with my Roundhouse oiler leaking, quite annoying. Ended up permanently sealing mine, I drain it with a syringe in any case.

A Bavarian version of the Mayflower would be unlike anything else around. Bringing something unique to the table (or steam-up!) is always good.
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

big-ted
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by big-ted » Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:32 pm

Your Mayflower looks lovely. Interesting you mention it can be troublesome to light from the chimney. My Monarch can also be a bit tricky. I find it lights much easier from under the smoke box if that's an option?

SKGLB
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by SKGLB » Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:21 am

Old Man Aaron wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:53 am An opening smokebox sounds excellent. It's one thing I miss about my long-sold Accucraft engine.
It's just an idea of mine, as original parts for Merlin locomotives more than 40 years after the company's demise are no longer available I bought these. I hope with my modest knowledge and machinery (mill) I can implement this idea.
Old Man Aaron wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:53 am The red paint should hold up just fine.
That's exactly how it was, there were no problems with the color.
big-ted wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:32 pm Your Mayflower looks lovely.
Hi Ted, thanks for the compliment.
Old Man Aaron wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:53 am A Bavarian version of the Mayflower would be unlike anything else around. Bringing something unique to the table (or steam-up!) is always good.
Looking at the video from this weekend's small Live Steam event, I'm leaning more and more towards keeping the Mayflower in the English version. I can add a few more details.

big-ted wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:32 pm Interesting you mention it can be troublesome to light from the chimney. My Monarch can also be a bit tricky. I find it lights much easier from under the smoke box if that's an option?
The chimney mounted chuffer is also part of this problem, the gas flow is somewhat impeded by the chuffer. I now also ignite below the smoke combs between the chassis frames. It's not a big problem though, let some gas flow, ignite a lighter and the flame will bounce back into the burner.

to be continued...........

Greetings from Austria
Gerald ;)

SKGLB
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by SKGLB » Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:18 am

Hello folks,

the "old lady" proved herself again at the PSV Wels summer festival two weeks ago and ran without any problems and did her laps on the PSV outdoor area several times a day.

The journeys towards the end of this hot summer day weren't that easy, Franz a well known friend kept throwing his Regner 99 211 and my Mayflower out at the same switch at the station exit. On closer inspection, I found that a totally run down and worn out frog was responsible for it. Therefore, in the video of the Mayflower -minute 1:43- so restart again and with piano speed over it and on.

Greetings from Austria
Gerald ;)