New Live Steam Owner

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
DafyddElvy
Cleaner
Cleaner

New Live Steam Owner

Post by DafyddElvy » Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:14 pm

That's me, well ahead of any plans I've purchased my first live steam loco which came as a bit of a surprise.

Now I need to get some tools and bits n Bob's to operate the gas fired loco.

Would anyone happen to have an idiots guide on what I should I should be kitting myself out with, I can think of some obvious things such as 2 grades of oil but which ones, where would the best place to get the items I'll need be, any ideas suggestions appreciated, thanks.

David

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Re: New Live Steam Owner

Post by Lonsdaler » Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:23 pm

Welcome to the steaming fraternity! Grade of steam oil is dependent on the make of locomotive - what have you 'acquired'? :D
Almost inevitably, you'll be undoing or tightening nuts etc, so a set of nut spinners and precision screwdrivers are handy to have. A suitable adapter for your gas canister is also necessary. There's lots of other bits n bobs that are handy to have around as well. I'm sure others will be happy to advise. :thumbright:
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:36 am

DafyddElvy wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:14 pm That's me, well ahead of any plans I've purchased my first live steam loco which came as a bit of a surprise.

Now I need to get some tools and bits n Bob's to operate the gas fired loco.

Would anyone happen to have an idiots guide on what I should I should be kitting myself out with, I can think of some obvious things such as 2 grades of oil but which ones, where would the best place to get the items I'll need be, any ideas suggestions appreciated, thanks.

David
Really need some more info, make and model (and age) would be a good start. Also have you tried the original manufacturer. Words of warning has the boiler a certificated, and when was the boiler and safety valve last tested. There are lots of stuff on the internet and this forum on the subject.

DafyddElvy
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by DafyddElvy » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:36 am

It's an Accucraft loco that I've picked up, gas fired, that's about all I know just now.

David

sjrixon
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by sjrixon » Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:27 am

Watching with interest, I'd like to join you on this journey ;)

What about water? I've read lots that tap water isn't a clever idea.

DafyddElvy
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by DafyddElvy » Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:47 am

sjrixon wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:27 am Watching with interest, I'd like to join you on this journey ;)

My brother tells me only use either rain water or dehumidified water, tap water especially in england contains all sorts of chemicals we don't want in the boiler, that's about the sum total of my present knowledge.

David

sjrixon
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by sjrixon » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:12 am

Can you buy dehumidified water?

DafyddElvy
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by DafyddElvy » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:18 am

I think the water in the supermarket car section might be okay, can't remember what it's called.

I think clean ice from the freezer might be okay, ice taken from the top or side should be clean. Others will now cry naw and put me right.

David

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:42 am

Whether to use tap water depends on your local supply - I use it because we don't get limescale where I live. Water from a dehumidifier is okay, but needs to be clean. I found it nearly impossible to get rid of the bits of lint etc. that got entrained along with the moisture. It would also seem that de-ionised water is not recommended (although there is a lot of debate about it AFAIK) - something to do with leeching ions from the brass or copper boiler Either way, it's an unnecessary expense. Oh, and get a water top up bottle - Regner or Jackson's Miniatures do one where each 'squirt' is greater capacity than a common or garden spray trigger - saves on RSI from squeezing water into the boiler!.
Accucraft locos use 'heavy' steam oil, with a viscosity of ISO 460. I believe Roundhouse locos use a lighter oil of about ISO 220 or 240 (I don't have a Roundhouse, so not sure on precise spec).
If you know the model of the engine, you can get manuals for them online - for discontinued models see here. If you look at the information for each engine there is a link to owners manual and instructions near the bottom. Be interesting to identify what you have
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

sjrixon
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by sjrixon » Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:46 pm

DafyddElvy wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:18 am I think the water in the supermarket car section might be okay, can't remember what it's called.

I think clean ice from the freezer might be okay, ice taken from the top or side should be clean. Others will now cry naw and put me right.

David
You mean de-Ionised water. But yes, my understanding is purified/di-ionised water absorbs and dissolves carbon dioxide, so forms an acid and could eat through steel! A 50/50 mix might be a clever idea! But I don't know!

DafyddElvy
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by DafyddElvy » Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:09 pm

sjrixon wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:46 pm
DafyddElvy wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:18 am I think the water in the supermarket car section might be okay, can't remember what it's called.

David
You mean de-Ionised water. But yes, my understanding is purified/di-ionised water absorbs and dissolves carbon dioxide, so forms an acid and could eat through steel! A 50/50 mix might be a clever idea! But I don't know!
That confirms de-ironised water isn't the cleverest thing to use then, thanks.

David

DafyddElvy
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by DafyddElvy » Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:15 pm

I live in Central Scotland and I've never heard of people having to clean a kettle so could that mean I could use tap water, is their any way I could check if my local tap water is okay to use with my model?

David

sjrixon
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by sjrixon » Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:01 pm

Something like this, used 50/50 as it says use in an iron.. My water is very hard..

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/pro ... ater-25ltr

sjrixon
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by sjrixon » Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:04 pm

DafyddElvy wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:15 pm I live in Central Scotland and I've never heard of people having to clean a kettle so could that mean I could use tap water, is their any way I could check if my local tap water is okay to use with my model?

David
I'd say it's fine.. I'm in the South, have a water softener and my bathroom still gets limescale.

I wonder what water softener water is like for a steam engine?

philipy

Post by philipy » Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:16 pm

Collect rainwater and put it through a coffee filter before use.
Philip

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:11 pm

DafyddElvy wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:47 am
sjrixon wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:27 am Watching with interest, I'd like to join you on this journey ;)

My brother tells me only use either rain water or dehumidified water, tap water especially in england contains all sorts of chemicals we don't want in the boiler, that's about the sum total of my present knowledge.

David
Use dehumidifier water, or distilled water DO NOT use de-ionized water. It will try to "leach" chemicals out of your boiler, lots of science out there that will explain a lot better than I can. Whatever water you use, filter it, I use coffee filter papers, keeps all the little particles out.

DafyddElvy
Cleaner
Cleaner

New Live Steam Owner

Post by DafyddElvy » Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:16 pm

This link has some useful information

http://www.nmia.com/~vrbass/steam/stmintro.htm

What I need to find now is suppliers for bit and preferable in Central Scotland, what does seem illusive is a Korean gas valve adaptor, pictured, the only one I can find is from China and wouldn't arrive until early July.

I am slowly pulling together a list of things I need which I'll share for comment when its closer to complete.

David
Attachments
Korean Gas Valve Adaptor.jpg
Korean Gas Valve Adaptor.jpg (12.83 KiB) Viewed 3423 times

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:40 am

DafyddElvy wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:16 pm This link has some useful information

What I need to find now is suppliers for bit and preferable in Central Scotland, what does seem illusive is a Korean gas valve adaptor, pictured, the only one I can find is from China and wouldn't arrive until early July.

I am slowly pulling together a list of things I need which I'll share for comment when its closer to complete.

David
I bought bone of these from Amazon, and it did not work, the gas refused to be dispensed. After a few conversations I bought another one, different supplier, (same type) and it works perfectly.

DafyddElvy
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by DafyddElvy » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:17 am

I bought bone of these from Amazon, and it did not work, the gas refused to be dispensed. After a few conversations I bought another one, different supplier, (same type) and it works perfectly.
[/quote]

Jimmy,

I don't suppose you have the details of the company or the make for the valve you have?

David

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:20 am

DafyddElvy wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:17 am
Jimmyb wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:40 am

Jimmy,

I don't suppose you have the details of the company or the make for the valve you have?

David
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B ... UTF8&psc=1 This is the one that worked :)