New Live Steam Owner

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
DafyddElvy
Cleaner
Cleaner

Re: New Live Steam Owner

Post by DafyddElvy » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:37 am

Jimmy,

I don't suppose you have the details of the company or the make for the valve you have?

David
[/quote]

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B ... UTF8&psc=1 This is the one that worked :)
[/quote]

Jimmy,

Thank you for that link, who'd have thought the first piece of equipment I would buy for a garden steam loco would be a gas valve, thanks.

That made me remember the first thing I would always get ready for a 7 1/4" operating day would be to soak a tampon in paraffin the night before, I won't go in to the purpose of a tampon but they are ideal for lighting minimum gauge engines.

Anyhow, I digress, back to pulling together a list of items I need.

David

DafyddElvy
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by DafyddElvy » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:43 pm

Do I need a special tool to adjust the safety valve on an Accucraft loco?

David

DafyddElvy
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by DafyddElvy » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:41 pm

Sea Lion has landed and my wife says it looks braw, but its not coming in the bedroom.

I now need to think about conversion to RC control, I'd rather not have have a transmitter similar to the aeroplane folk but something that would fit in my hand, a quick web search found https://www.rctrains.co.uk/ which uses a deltang hand set with an RC trains receiver. Has anyone else used the deltand with a receiver to control a live steam loco?

Is their another similar system out there that I should consider?

As always any and all advice much appreciated.

David

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:20 am

David,
As you know, there have been a number of recent mentions about Deltang equipment on the Northfields Tramway thread https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... ng#p163362

Rik ( Ge_Rik) started RCTrains a few years ago before passing the business on to Phil Partridge, who is also a member on her.. David Theusison (sp?) ("Mr Deltang" ) was the original developer and supplier of the modules and their abilities, but the products were retailed by a number of other companies, including RC Trains.
The current lack of components therefore affects every one of those retailers equally, unfortunately.
There are various phone based systems around and there are many aircraft type systems but personally I'm not aware of anything that compares to Deltang. So unless you care to dig around in the hope of finding the odd Tx and/or Rx from various sources you will have to wait until Micron manage to get their planned alternative up and running. The queue for that I imagine will stretch around the block!! :D
Rik also did some experimenting with a DIY system a while ago, but abandoned it as far as I know.
Philip

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:54 am

philipy wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:20 am David,
As you know, there have been a number of recent mentions about Deltang equipment on the Northfields Tramway thread https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... ng#p163362

Rik ( Ge_Rik) started RCTrains a few years ago before passing the business on to Phil Partridge, who is also a member on her.. David Theusison (sp?) ("Mr Deltang" ) was the original developer and supplier of the modules and their abilities, but the products were retailed by a number of other companies, including RC Trains.
The current lack of components therefore affects every one of those retailers equally, unfortunately.
There are various phone based systems around and there are many aircraft type systems but personally I'm not aware of anything that compares to Deltang. So unless you care to dig around in the hope of finding the odd Tx and/or Rx from various sources you will have to wait until Micron manage to get their planned alternative up and running. The queue for that I imagine will stretch around the block!! :D
Rik also did some experimenting with a DIY system a while ago, but abandoned it as far as I know.
Andy at Micron now has the MR001, which is a replacement for the DT Rx102, and is for use with live steam. I have used this Rx but for battery powered so cannot comment on the steam aspect. If you contact Andy, he is very helpful.

DafyddElvy
Cleaner
Cleaner

New Live Steam Owner

Post by DafyddElvy » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:22 pm

I have spoken with Phil at RC Trains this morning and a way forward for my own requirements agreed.

Thanks all the feedback and suggestions.

David

artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by artfull dodger » Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:30 pm

Welcome to the world of live steam. One upgrade guys tend to put on these and many other engines is a replacement safety valve from Anything Narrow Gauge. These are made in the USA by the leader of my local steam group, then Jay K from The Train Dept works with Simon to get them to the UK. They are a proper Pop style safety instead of the stock ones that tend to weep wisps of steam instead of blowing off then resetting properly. Various pop off pressures are available. Thankfully here in the states, we dont have to worry about boiler certs and testing, even for public shows for boilers that operate at 3bar or less. Only the ride on scale engines with steam pressures in the lethal range have to get those done. If its a brand new model, the certs for the boiler and gas tank should be with the rest of the paperwork, or even on a used engine that the previous owner kept all of the paperwork. Good luck and enjoy! AD
Silly NT's.....I have Asperger's Syndrome!