Built up my new Regner Paul tram kit

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Built up my new Regner Paul tram kit

Post by artfull dodger » Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:41 pm

And I enjoyed nearly every moment of it. I was missing 2 parts, both gland nuts for the sight glass. So for now I am running without one and just blank plugs in the slight glass spots. So short runs of 5 to 8 min so as not to run the boiler dry while I wait for replacement parts. Really a nice model for the $$ in my opinion. Even comes with all the servo, receiver and battery pack mounting brackets along with some of the RC fittings right in the kit. The Train Department in the USA provides an extra heat shield to protect the cylinder tension springs from heat coming out of the slot in the boiler face plate. I covered that slot with some ceramic insulation, which I think maybe making it harder to light up. The video is the second short test steaming, and first on rails. Typical stiffness of a freshly built locomotive. Usually takes about 15 full runs with a Regner to loosen them up to where they smooth out. For a smaller tram style engine, this is a super value in my book. The gear reduction makes RC almost redundant but its an easy option on this one. Same for adding the optional whistle kit, the model has a spot for the whistle with holes and spare port on the header for the whistle valve. Great job Regner!! How about some matching metal passenger coaches! LGB are ok, but metal would be even better! Mike the Aspie

Silly NT's.....I have Asperger's Syndrome!

Tom85
Cleaner
Cleaner

Re: Built up my new Regner Paul tram kit

Post by Tom85 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:02 pm

Nice looking loco :thumbright:

dewintondave
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by dewintondave » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:10 am

Lovely loco
Best wishes,
Dave

Old Man Aaron
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Old Man Aaron » Wed May 12, 2021 4:09 pm

Wonderful tidy little thing, that. Shame about the missing gland nuts, I wonder how long a run you'll manage once the glass is fitted and the loco run in..
Regards,
Aaron - Scum Class Works

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Wed May 12, 2021 6:43 pm

Regner are lovely geared locomotives, but I don't think you're alone in having problems lighting up. Most of my friends who have or have had one seem to go through issues on light up. Looks like you've made a great job of that! :thumbup:
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by artfull dodger » Thu May 13, 2021 1:42 am

I find most all of the Regners I have owned needed an air collar to fine tune the burner to light easily. Regner has a nice one listed on their website but it seems few dealers outside of Germany stock it. I made my own from a piece of thin sheet metal Mike the Aspie
Silly NT's.....I have Asperger's Syndrome!

Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver

Post by Lonsdaler » Thu May 13, 2021 11:45 am

artfull dodger wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:42 am I find most all of the Regners I have owned needed an air collar to fine tune the burner to light easily. Regner has a nice one listed on their website but it seems few dealers outside of Germany stock it. I made my own from a piece of thin sheet metal Mike the Aspie
Ah - that's a tip worth passing on. thank you. :thumbup:
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077