Live steam at a bargain price...?

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
CSL
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Re: Live steam at a bargain price...?

Post by CSL » Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:34 pm

Scam appears confirmed over in the '16mm garden Railway' Facebook group*.
(*Not to be confused with the 16mm Association Facebook group, of course, where at least one other person has stated they've also placed an order.)
Someone has received something rather different from advertised, but has stated success in getting a refund from PayPal.

dewintondave
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by dewintondave » Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:52 am

These scammers prey on the greedy. I don't have a problem with that :D
Best wishes,
Dave

CSL
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by CSL » Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:11 am

dewintondave wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:52 am These scammers prey on the greedy. I don't have a problem with that :D
I do.
Because there's a very fine line between 'being greedy' and 'looking for a bargain'.
And because it's putting money into the black market.
And because it encourages more scams.
And because not all* scams are obvious.

*Or indeed any, given that from what I have read at least four people across this forum and two Facebook groups have actually decided to respond to this one.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:02 pm

I've always fancied doing what James Veitch did ...... but never had the opportunity or the time
https://www.ted.com/talks/james_veitch_ ... spam_email

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

CSL
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by CSL » Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:23 pm

CaptainClockwork wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:37 pm ... the possibility that I'll have to ask PayPal for my money back is pretty high, but what's life without a little risk?
Come to think of it, assuming the money is reclaimed from PayPal, does PayPal take the hit/reclaim the loss from an insurance policy? Or to put it another way, does legitimate business hand money to the black market as a direct result of its customer's independent decision?

dewintondave
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by dewintondave » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:45 pm

CSL wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:23 pm
CaptainClockwork wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:37 pm ... the possibility that I'll have to ask PayPal for my money back is pretty high, but what's life without a little risk?
Come to think of it, assuming the money is reclaimed from PayPal, does PayPal take the hit/reclaim the loss from an insurance policy? Or to put it another way, does legitimate business hand money to the black market as a direct result of its customer's independent decision?
I'd be happy for PayPal not to refund these greedy folks, they need to learn their lesson
Best wishes,
Dave

CSL
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by CSL » Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:28 am

dewintondave wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:45 pm
I'd be happy for PayPal not to refund these greedy folks, they need to learn their lesson
That rather misses the point of my post, which was that even if a "purchaser" is refunded, as far as I can see money is still given to the scammers, therefore encouraging more scams to be created.

dewintondave
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by dewintondave » Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:49 am

CSL wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:28 am
dewintondave wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:45 pm
That rather misses the point of my post, which was that even if a "purchaser" is refunded, as far as I can see money is still given to the scammers, therefore encouraging more scams to be created.
I don't know who's worse, the scammer or the greedy? They are welcome to each other
Best wishes,
Dave

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:28 am

dewintondave wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:45 pm I'd be happy for PayPal not to refund these greedy folks, they need to learn their lesson
Not everybody who falls for scams are greedy, some just don't have a lot on money and are careful what they do with it, other just do not see it as a scam because they "don't see scams", and just think it is a bargain.

I know the old adage "if it looks to good to be true it probably is", but the thing about that is "probably" which means on occasion it is true.

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:29 am

ge_rik wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:02 pm I've always fancied doing what James Veitch did ...... but never had the opportunity or the time
https://www.ted.com/talks/james_veitch_ ... spam_email

Rik
Rik, absolutely loved it, not sure how true the story was but it brought some cheer.

Scrat
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Scrat » Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:46 pm

So did you get anything delivered at all?

CaptainClockwork
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by CaptainClockwork » Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:46 am

I was just browsing through old threads here when this one jogged my memory - sorry for the lack of updates! This order took so long to show up that I had quite forgotten about it by the time it arrived.

I did indeed receive a package for this purchase (earlier this year, some months after I placed the order), but it was indeed a scam, as we all expected. I unfortunately did not think to take photos at the time, but what was delivered to me was a metal "model" steam loco that more resembled a Christmas tree ornament than anything functional. No motor, no motion, and of course, no live steam. I think the only true statement from the original advertisement was that it was constructed of metal. I still have the "loco" somewhere; I shall have to dig it out and take pictures so we can all appreciate the beautiful craftsmanship (sarcasm heavily implied).

I decided not to proceed with attempting a PayPal refund, as it isn't fair for PayPal to eat this loss when we all knew what this outcome would be. As I stated originally, let this be a lesson to all those out there looking at deals on the internet; if it looks too good to be true, it probably is!
Best Regards,
Ian

- I collect and operate weird and wonderful live steam locomotives -

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:08 am

CaptainClockwork wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:46 am I was just browsing through old threads here when this one jogged my memory - sorry for the lack of updates! This order took so long to show up that I had quite forgotten about it by the time it arrived.

I did indeed receive a package for this purchase (earlier this year, some months after I placed the order), but it was indeed a scam, as we all expected. I unfortunately did not think to take photos at the time, but what was delivered to me was a metal "model" steam loco that more resembled a Christmas tree ornament than anything functional. No motor, no motion, and of course, no live steam. I think the only true statement from the original advertisement was that it was constructed of metal. I still have the "loco" somewhere; I shall have to dig it out and take pictures so we can all appreciate the beautiful craftsmanship (sarcasm heavily implied).

I decided not to proceed with attempting a PayPal refund, as it isn't fair for PayPal to eat this loss when we all knew what this outcome would be. As I stated originally, let this be a lesson to all those out there looking at deals on the internet; if it looks too good to be true, it probably is!
Would love to see how what was sent compares with what was shown in the photo.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:41 am

CaptainClockwork wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:46 am I was just browsing through old threads here when this one jogged my memory - sorry for the lack of updates! This order took so long to show up that I had quite forgotten about it by the time it arrived.

Many thanks for the update, much appreciated.