Connecting gears for servos

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
mymodeltrain
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Connecting gears for servos

Post by mymodeltrain » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:27 pm

I had a Regner live steam locomotive in the past but I sold it. For somehow I started to get some interest in live steam again; probably, the approaching holidays always give me some good mood about garden trains. I just bought a second-hand Accucraft Mortimer on Ebay. And I also bought some servos and the receiver for RC modifications. I wonder where to find some connection gears, like the tiny screws, rods for connecting the servos to the regulator.

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: Connecting gears for servos

Post by Trevor Thompson » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:17 pm

I think you are going to have to make some of these parts.

You should have received a set plastic cranks with each servo, as well as the screw to hold the crank to the servo.

Then you will need to drill a hole in the regulator arm and reverser arm. Exactly where may take some experimenting. and more than one hole would allow for adjustment.

Joining the two ends together can be done with lengths of brass or steel wire. Perhaps 0.8 to 1mm diameter. Just bend the wire to suit. If its wrong use another length of wire to try again.

Some examples.
A length of wire as a reach rod:
IMG_0995.jpg
IMG_0995.jpg (256.53 KiB) Viewed 2624 times
wire for the regulator connection:
IMG_1011.jpg
IMG_1011.jpg (238.99 KiB) Viewed 2624 times
and a close up of the regulator and whistle valve connections using wire:
IMG_1019.jpg
IMG_1019.jpg (248.21 KiB) Viewed 2624 times
Trevor

mymodeltrain
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by mymodeltrain » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:41 am

Trevor Thompson wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:17 pm I think you are going to have to make some of these parts.

You should have received a set plastic cranks with each servo, as well as the screw to hold the crank to the servo.

Then you will need to drill a hole in the regulator arm and reverser arm. Exactly where may take some experimenting. and more than one hole would allow for adjustment.

Joining the two ends together can be done with lengths of brass or steel wire. Perhaps 0.8 to 1mm diameter. Just bend the wire to suit. If its wrong use another length of wire to try again.

Some examples.
A length of wire as a reach rod:
IMG_0995.jpg

wire for the regulator connection:
IMG_1011.jpg

and a close up of the regulator and whistle valve connections using wire:
IMG_1019.jpg

Trevor
Thanks Trevor the photos and information on the servo connecting wires. I am ready for the challenge during this coming Thanksgiving holiday.

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:06 pm

mymodeltrain wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:27 pm I had a Regner live steam locomotive in the past but I sold it. For somehow I started to get some interest in live steam again; probably, the approaching holidays always give me some good mood about garden trains. I just bought a second-hand Accucraft Mortimer on Ebay. And I also bought some servos and the receiver for RC modifications. I wonder where to find some connection gears, like the tiny screws, rods for connecting the servos to the regulator.
In converting my Regner Konrad to RC I bought some "Pushrod Linkage Stoppers" which a friend in the Glamorgan and Gwent group advised me to use (I just went and searched on eBay...!)

I found these absolutely invaluable - both in saving labour and allowing for easy adjustment of the linkages.

mymodeltrain
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by mymodeltrain » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:09 pm

SimonWood wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:06 pm
mymodeltrain wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:27 pm I had a Regner live steam locomotive in the past but I sold it. For somehow I started to get some interest in live steam again; probably, the approaching holidays always give me some good mood about garden trains. I just bought a second-hand Accucraft Mortimer on Ebay. And I also bought some servos and the receiver for RC modifications. I wonder where to find some connection gears, like the tiny screws, rods for connecting the servos to the regulator.
In converting my Regner Konrad to RC I bought some "Pushrod Linkage Stoppers" which a friend in the Glamorgan and Gwent group advised me to use (I just went and searched on eBay...!)

I found these absolutely invaluable - both in saving labour and allowing for easy adjustment of the linkages.

Agreed, I just received some last night. It worked out well as I attempted to fit in here and there, and it looked professional with these screws, as you said saving a lot of efforts. I will eventually be doing a few drillings next week. But first, I will test the Accucraft Mortimer this week-end to see how it works. Thanks