16mm scale "Linda"

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: 16mm scale "Linda"

Post by Trevor Thompson » Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:05 pm

Keith S wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:15 pm A masterpiece. I really admire all the problem-solving and customization that went into this locomotive.
Thanks - it feels good to have it almost finished.

Trevor

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:57 am

That is the crests finished and the tender lined:
IMG_1969.jpg
IMG_1969.jpg (2.05 MiB) Viewed 3217 times
The dust in the green paint isn't actually in the paint - I looked after taking the photo. I have now printed some name plates on the resin printer. I looked into etched brass ones, but the delivery and price sent me back to my own resources!
IMG_1970.jpg
IMG_1970.jpg (2.04 MiB) Viewed 3217 times
These have turned out better than I expected. So I will try makers plates which are a bit more difficult.

Trevor

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Post by TonyW » Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:28 pm

Looks great!

Brass name and works plates from MDC in about six weeks, about £26 a pair, and they were matched to the full-size plates and look great.

To the best of my knowledge, other than when it was black (!), Linda has never had a black cab front. Blanche certainly did though, reminding us that FR locos are really black with a few green panels.

Also, other than for a short while when it ran with no tender, Linda's rear buffer beams (loco and tender) are black.
Tony Willmore
Rhos Helyg Locomotive Works: http://www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RhosHelygLocoWorks

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:40 am

TonyW wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:28 pm Looks great!

Brass name and works plates from MDC in about six weeks, about £26 a pair, and they were matched to the full-size plates and look great.

To the best of my knowledge, other than when it was black (!), Linda has never had a black cab front. Blanche certainly did though, reminding us that FR locos are really black with a few green panels.

Also, other than for a short while when it ran with no tender, Linda's rear buffer beams (loco and tender) are black.
Thanks for the feedback. The photo I downloaded made the cab front look black but when I look again I can see it is actually green. And the buffer beams are easy to alter!

Thanks again

Trevor

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:53 am

TonyW wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:28 pm Looks great!

That is the rear facing buffer beams painted black, and the cab front painted and lined:
IMG_1974.jpg
IMG_1974.jpg (1.47 MiB) Viewed 3084 times
I have also fitted my 3 D printed name plates and makers plates.

I know the lettering on the nameplates is bigger than on the original, and the chimney should be painted black. But there comes a point where it is a reasonable representation of the original, without becoming pedantic.

Trevor

Jimmyb
Fireman
Fireman

Post by Jimmyb » Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:22 pm

Trevor it looks very good, but the most important thing is are YOU happy with it, if you are that is all that matters.

philipy

Post by philipy » Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:20 pm

I agree with Jimmy, it does look very good. I'm impressed by the plates now they are painted. I thought they looked a bit bulky/heavy when straight off the printer, but the finished job looks excellent.
Philip

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:20 am

I saw this really lovely paint job on Linda when I visited the Railway in the Valley of the Mill before Christmas. She just looks superb. I had to ask if the plates were printed - and it only occurred to me to do so because I guessed Trevor would give that a go. You have to look very closely to tell.

Trevor Thompson
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Trevor Thompson » Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:08 pm

Simon

Lovely photo - and thanks for all the kind comments.

I couldn't light the burner when Simon came round. Afterwords I looked to find why. It was just the burner had partly come out of the boiler. Pushed it back in and it lit first time!

Trevor

SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by SimonWood » Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:34 am

Well I was sorry not to see Linda steam over the viaduct in her new livery, but I am glad to hear it was a simple fix!