Types of power transmission to the wheels for a scratch built

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
yellow_cad
Cleaner
Cleaner

Types of power transmission to the wheels for a scratch built

Post by yellow_cad » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:10 pm

On scratch built locomotives, I see power transmission to the wheels via brass gears and a few use a brass chain. I was wondering if anyone has tried o ring material belts to power the wheels. It seems as though it could easily drive both axles and therefore provide enough positive drive. You might need to use a bit of belt dressing, but this seems quite a bit easier to build since finding the exact size of brass gears appears to be an issue and the other option of adjusting the plans to the gears has its problems too. Thanks for thoughts on this. Jim

philipy

Re: Types of power transmission to the wheels for a scratch built

Post by philipy » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:31 pm

I assume you are talking about transmission from one axle to another in an 0-4-0 and 0-6-0?
In my very limited experience of using rubber, etc, bands of any sort, getting the tension right is absolutely critical and very difficult to do.
On the other hand, using Delrin chain ( Not metal) and sprockets is extremely easy and very flexible/adjustable.
Philip

Peter Butler
Driver
Driver

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:09 pm

I totally agree with Philip about the use of Delrin chain and sprockets, especially for use in light loads with little stress. For drive between motor and axle, a gear system is best, either worm and pinion, or bevel gears, brass or nylon are available for both.
A belt system can break and major work could be required to replace one, usually having to separate the chassis to place the new belt over the wheel.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

yellow_cad
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by yellow_cad » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:35 pm

It does look like sprocket and chain are a better route. Thanks.