Pearse USA style locomotives

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Pearse USA style locomotives

Post by artfull dodger » Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:29 am

I think Ian hangs out here from time to time, hopefully he will chime in. I am curious how many(roughly) of the American style live steamers were made? Pearse did the 0-4-0 switcher with the slope back tender(Just bought one of those and am awaiting its arrival), the Colorado 2-6-0 and tender, and the Sierra Nevada 2-6-0 and a 2-8-0 with a tender. They seem very hard to come by when compared to the UK models such as Earl/Countess ect. I am guessing not many were made. I am hoping to find one of those other USA style locomotives to add to our stable if one comes up for sale. Mike
Silly NT's.....I have Asperger's Syndrome!

strettonsteamer
Cleaner
Cleaner

Re: Pearse USA style locomotives

Post by strettonsteamer » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:28 am

Hi Mike
I don't have the records anymore but if my memory serves me right I think we did about 40 of each of Colorado and the Switcher. The 2-6-0 Sierra Nevada never took off.We only did a couple. It was trying to do a decent bar framed 2-6-0 using the valve gear from the Switcher and other parts from Colorado. Unfortunately, or fortunately as it finally turned out, it was about the time Accucraft USA came along with their models and we just could not compete on price. The sample of the Nevada went to Rio Pecos and finally, I think, ended up with Norm Saley. It was repainted in full Bumble Bee livery.
After Mike Teece took over Pearse Locos he added the 2-8-0 utilizing the etches and castings from Colorado but I do not know if he sold any.
Hope this helps.
Regards, Ian

steamgeorge
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by steamgeorge » Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:08 pm

Ian - Mike isn't the only one interested in Pearse build numbers.

I would be very interested in build numbers for the Auric and Lew if you had an approximate idea? Btw - the Merlin L & M has found a new home, probably the best place it could go. It is with a collector on the south coast who also has the Beast and a Mac Muckley L & M. He is delighted with it.

Regards
George

artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by artfull dodger » Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:54 am

Thanks Ian, I will post some pics of the Switcher soon, bringing her back from the dead. She was a bit beat up to say the least. Mike

artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by artfull dodger » Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:25 am

Here is the switcher, or atleast the engine portion as the tender is in pieces while I redo the radio gear install and fit working lights. She was a bit of a mess when I got it. But the price was right and I have wanted one of these for awhile.

artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by artfull dodger » Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:54 pm

Here are a couple of pics I took from my old issues of Steam in the Garden magazines. First one is a younger Ian Pearse next to the late Bob Osterhoudt of Rio Pecos discussing the Sierra Nevada(would love to have one of those engines!) Second is the ad for the Switcher from the same dealer. Fran Osterhoudt took the pic of Ian and Bob. Bob was a heck of a great guy, bought my first live steamer from him back in the early 1990's He even sent me a Rio Pecos "Steam Team" T shrit which I still have and wear to steam ups. I am amazed I still can wear it as I got the shirt in my late teens and I am 46 now. Hopefully a Colorado turns up for sale on my side of the pond. Feel free to relate your stories and info about Pearse engines. Mike the Aspie