Doing some needed maintance on Earl

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Doing some needed maintance on Earl

Post by artfull dodger » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:24 pm

The last couple steamings of my new Pearse Earl, I noticed he was making quite an oily mess of the footplate. So, this morning, I took the cab and side tanks off for a general cleaning and troublshooting. All the steam lines were tight, but the O rings on the combination throttle/whistle valve were flat and hard. When my friend bought Earl second hand from ANG, he came with whatever spaces that Simon had on hand. So, I got out some spare O rings and took care of that leak. After some cleanup, I put the cab and side tanks back on. We can see on the inside of the cab roof where Earl was originally sold thru, GRS. I am awaiting a new RCS palm size controler and receiver to replace the old school stick radio. It is 2.4ghz, but I want a smaller hand held controller. More pics later today as my big package of W&L rolling stock was waiting for me when I got home from work last night. Mike the Aspie
Silly NT's.....I have Asperger's Syndrome!

DonW
Fireman
Fireman

Re: Doing some needed maintance on Earl

Post by DonW » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:54 pm

Nice loco Mike

Don

artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by artfull dodger » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:56 am

Thank you Don. Earl is a really nice model and in my opinion, the Pearse version is hands above the Accucraft version. Accucraft didnt get the valve gear right on their version. The rod the valve spindle should be in the bottom of the expansion rocking link in forward gear, but its in the raised position on the model. Many folks may not know or care. But it bugs me on a model costing over $1000. Not sure anybody has figured out how to correct this on that model. I hope to find a Pearse Countess in 2021. I have a brand new Lady Anne on the books for December 2020 delivery. Mike the Aspie

DonW
Fireman
Fireman

Post by DonW » Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:06 pm

Ah I hadn't spotted that on my Accucraft Countess I shall have to look at that.
Don

artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by artfull dodger » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:25 pm

Don, put Countess in forward gear and look at the valve reach rod that goes from the expansion link(the one that rocks back and forth) and the valve spindle. To be correct, it should be in the bottom of the link in forward gear. This is how Countess/Earl is in real life and how the original Pearse models are. All of the videos of the Accucraft version show the rod in the upper part of the link, which is not correct. Still works, but it might bug some people. I also like the more robust(built like a tank) along with the whistle that the Pearse model has. But then, even second hand, a Pearse Countess/Earl is a wee bit more than the reissue. Mike the Aspie