TVT - The lost Tribe

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
GTB
Driver
Driver

Re: TVT - The lost Tribe

Post by GTB » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:21 pm

The best laid plans of mice and men.........

Between recalcitrant burners and lousy weather, the bench testing took longer than anticipated, but the new Baldwin finally ran it's track trials this afternoon. It was a nice warm day, no wind and not a cloud in the sky, good for boiling some water.

The first photo shows the loco setting off with a short train for a run south on the timber tram. Probably a heavier load than the original loco. would have handled on the Loch Valley Tramway. The only published photos of the Loch Valley operating show the Baldwins with only a couple of 4 wheeled flats. The fairly basic passenger vehicle in the train is based on the smaller of the two vans that ran on the Mapleton Tramway in Queensland. The timber pairs with bell brakes are typical of those that ran on timber trams in Victoria.

Twelfth Steam Run 1.jpg
Twelfth Steam Run 1.jpg (262.08 KiB) Viewed 7145 times

It's easy to tell it's spring here, the weeds are going crazy. Even worse than the grass and dandelions, there are blackberries sprouting all over the place. Time to send out the weed spraying crew again.......

The next photo shows the train trundling south on the long straight in the afternoon sun.

Twelfth Steam Run 2.jpg
Twelfth Steam Run 2.jpg (290.27 KiB) Viewed 7145 times

The last photo shows the train rounding the curve at the southern end of the track. It was a warm day, but the loco was leaving a visible steam plume while running. The camera battery died at that point, so no more photos........

Twelfth Steam Run 3.jpg
Twelfth Steam Run 3.jpg (223.56 KiB) Viewed 7145 times

The loco managed eight trips around the track at a steady 24 scale mph. The train is well within it's capability, so it wasn't slowing noticeably on the curves or the slight grades near the bridge. I still need to do some work on the burner though, as it is noisier than I would like and although it lights easily, it is a bit unstable when running.

It's first public run will be in about 3 weeks time at the GSSU in Gembrook. On the Saturday, for those who will be attending.

Regards,
Graeme

Mitch stack
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Mitch stack » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:46 am

Graeme, I went to Noojee a while ago and I saw a Photo of one of the Baldwins with a log Bogie Similar to yours.

Mitch
Mitch - Cockatoo Creek Tramway

invicta280
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by invicta280 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:32 pm

Good to see this rural Aussie scene, full of character. The bauxite coloured van is an interesting item. Is that rolled up 'blinds' I see there? Not sure what they're really called but it's a nice touch.

ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ge_rik » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:18 am

Good to hear she runs at a realistic speed as well as looking good!

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:22 pm

Mitch stack wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:46 am I went to Noojee a while ago and I saw a Photo of one of the Baldwins with a log Bogie Similar to yours.
I’ve never been up there, but I gather the local historical society has some photos and the firebox of one of the Baldwins survived scrapping and is on display.

Graeme

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:56 pm

invicta280 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:32 pm Good to see this rural Aussie scene, full of character. The bauxite coloured van is an interesting item. Is that rolled up 'blinds' I see there? Not sure what they're really called but it's a nice touch.
I’ve seen them called either weather blinds, or weather curtains.

They are on the original, so I fitted them to the model. They are made from thin fabric rolled up to simulate the prototype canvas blinds, with thin strips of vinyl to simulate the leather straps.

From bitter experience travelling to school in winter on trams fitted with them, they leak like a sieve and let in icy blasts of wind, but better than nothing I guess.........

Graeme

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:52 pm

ge_rik wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:18 am Good to hear she runs at a realistic speed as well as looking good!
A flat track with large radius curves makes it fairly easy to run a small manual loco at reasonable speeds. Which is just as well, as there’s no space to fit r/c gear.

I think this little Baldwin might be as frisky as a Mamod when running on a track with steep gradients and sharp curves.

Graeme

Mitch stack
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Mitch stack » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:13 pm

GTB wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:22 pm
Mitch stack wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:46 am I went to Noojee a while ago and I saw a Photo of one of the Baldwins with a log Bogie Similar to yours.
I’ve never been up there, but I gather the local historical society has some photos and the firebox of one of the Baldwins survived scrapping and is on display.

Graeme
Graeme, I took a photo of a Baldwin at work on the tramway and it is hauling Two different types of Log Wagons, the normal Disconnected Bogie type and a 4 wheel wagon as well. Mitch
Baldwin Noojee.jpg
Baldwin Noojee.jpg (306.76 KiB) Viewed 6245 times

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:27 pm

Mitch stack wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:13 pm Graeme, I took a photo of a Baldwin at work on the tramway and it is hauling Two different types of Log Wagons, the normal Disconnected Bogie type and a 4 wheel wagon as well. Mitch
Thanks Mitch, I haven't seen that photo before. I assume it is one of the displays beside the walking track on the old trackbed out of Noojee?

The bell braked timber pair is certainly typical of local timber tramway practice. The four wheeler is the underframe of a Sorrento tram trailer, bought with the locos in 1920. There's a typical load of locals hitching a ride as well.

There's a clearer view of one of the underframes with a Baldwin in Noojee yard in this photo in the NLA Buckland collection. https://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-155044238/view

There's another photo around showing a Baldwin taking water out in the bush, pushing a 4 wheeler loaded with supplies back to the mill. Complete with 3 of the local ladies hitching a ride, sitting in a row on the bags of spuds.

Graeme

Mitch stack
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Mitch stack » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:31 am

Ah Lovely, I am becoming a expert on these Locos!

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:13 am

Mitch stack wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:31 am Ah Lovely, I am becoming a expert on these Locos!
John Buckland's book “Sandfly and the Lost Tribe” is still available from the LRRSA for the princely sum of A$2.00 + A$2.50 postage. Like all back issues of ‘Light Railways’, it is also available as a pdf download.

https://shop.lrrsa.org.au/epages/lightr ... ucts/lr065

Graeme

Mitch stack
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Mitch stack » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:05 am

Graeme, I have that issue as a PDF version as well as a few more issues of Light Railways , The main reason why I brought it is because I wanted to see what other Baldwin’s looked like before I start Modifying my loco .

Mitch

GTB
Driver
Driver

Post by GTB » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:12 pm

As mentioned elsewhere, this years Great Southern Steam Up was held near Melbourne last weekend and Graham Fordham has posted his videos of the event on line.

My Bagnall 2-6-2 ran on day 1 (Friday) and can be seen ambling along with a goods train, around the 7 and 8 min. marks.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AM6KU02gMKk

The new Baldwin ran on day 2 (Saturday) and there is a short clip of it running on a timber train, just after the 6 min mark.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AH3ZI11dqUg

Grant was also there on the Friday and Saturday and you will see his Bagnall tank running a mixed train on these videos as well.

Graham has posted quite a few of his videos of the local garden railway scene on line, including last years GSSU that are worth a look.

Graeme

Mitch stack
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Mitch stack » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:49 am

I think the best one is Day 3 because my loco is Featured in there!😉
Mitch