Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
sjrixon
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

First Steam Loco

Post by sjrixon » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:13 am

Hi everyone..

Long time lurker here :)

I've got a small loop and station that's keeping myself and the kids happy, with an electric Quary Hunslet. I'd like to start a journey with some live steam.

The loop is pretty much flat, so thinking I could start manual with an idea to add remote control later. Looking around I was smitten with the idea of a Roundhouse Bertie, with a view to adding and detailing in the coming years. Then I found a comment that you need to push it first in the direction you want it to go, is this correct? This means remote control wouldn't be able to control the direction? I could never run round my coaches without nudging the loco first.

I'd like to expand the loop with some operational interest, so not being about to drive it properly would put me off. But then I'd also need a bigger bank balance!

Thanks for the help.. I'm sure many people have been down this slippy path.

My son getting the workman's special ready to depart.
20190624_183133.jpg
20190624_183133.jpg (220.85 KiB) Viewed 9652 times

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Re: First Steam Loco

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:29 am

You nearly made it a year since joining before making your first post but I am glad you have decided to say hello at last.

The basic series of Roundhouse locos are operated by slip eccentric valve gear so you are right you have to push it in the direction you want to travel before it will go.

Have you considered a kit build option of one of Roundhouse's classic series locos so you can spread the cost over time?

Busted Bricks
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Busted Bricks » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:09 pm

John Sutton Books and Models have an Edrig available. That can be radio controlled:

https://johnsuttonbooksandmodels.co.uk/ ... ft-edrig-3

sjrixon
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by sjrixon » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:45 am

Oh, that's nice...

I've seen a lot of nice Berties on the forum, I'm slightly surprised they work that way and ultimately I think I'm going to be disappointed. I need to save.

I like the idea of building one, but with all my other commitments I don't think its a reality.

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:13 am

Welcome and great to see the young ones involved with garden railways. There is nothing better than going outside into the fresh air, instead of being indoors on tablets and laptops.....

Anyway, this may be of interest to you. The new Mamod Stirling, it's a nice looking loco that is gas fired and is also gauge adjustable. I think it can be converted to R/C, but I am sure the more experienced members on here can tell you about that. There are some more great looking locos on there has well...

https://www.mamod.co.uk/shop-categories/mamod-stirling

The main thing is to enjoy your line and have fun also.... :thumbright:

Busted Bricks
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Busted Bricks » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:14 pm

The Stirling has slip eccentric valve gear as I found out in another thread. Hence it would not be able to change direction via R/C.

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:43 pm

Millie is the best option. We've had several and a few members have started with Millie's and they are still their favourites. You get a basic engine which can be very customisable with various bits from Roundhouse (cab, some/GWR bonnet).
Edrigs are also a good option although they are much bigger than a Millie or a Hunslet. They're also not as refined in my opinion (several members have Edrigs ect).

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:07 am

Busted Bricks wrote: ↑Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:14 pm The Stirling has slip eccentric valve gear as I found out in another thread. Hence it would not be able to change direction via R/C.
I had an idea it was, but I wasn't too sure. Thanks Busted..... :thumbright:

Busted Bricks
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by Busted Bricks » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:47 pm

JMORG wrote: ↑Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:43 pm Millie is the best option.
Except direction can't be controlled via R/C which is what OP is looking for. Excellent loco though :D

JMORG
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by JMORG » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:57 pm

Busted Bricks wrote: ↑Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:47 pm
JMORG wrote: ↑Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:43 pm Millie is the best option.
Except direction can't be controlled via R/C which is what OP is looking for. Excellent loco though :D
Billie, Katie or Lady Anne are definitely the best if you have the money to spare!

artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by artfull dodger » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:54 pm

If you can manage to swing the cost of a Roundhouse model, that is truely the best route to take. Roundhouse's parts and logistical support is second to none being built right in the UK. Accucraft is a wild card, nice engines but will the basic parts that wear like valve gear, eccentrics and cylinders be available for the long term? Roundhouse engines run flawless right out of the box, even the basic series that do not get as much "run in" time at the factory. I have had both a Bertie and a Sammie and both ran beautifully. I have also had a Lady Anne and a Billy, and you can option out a Basic series better than those older Classic range models. Water top up WITH a sight glass, cant do that easilly on a Lady Anne. A gentleman in our local live steam group has a Mille, which is a pot boiler where the burner is under the boiler tube. Is silent in operation in relation to burner noise, will put in 45 min run times on our portable layout. A Millie is the best of the bunch if you want nice long run times, quiet burner and the ability to add plenty of options. Mike the Aspie
Silly NT's.....I have Asperger's Syndrome!

sjrixon
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by sjrixon » Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:43 am

I'm going to be seriously looking in the direction of a Millie or Bertie next year. If I can get a second hand one with radio control even better, but I'm pretty sure I could figure that out myself! :)

I need to lay more track first..

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Post by TonyW » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:37 pm

sjrixon wrote: ↑Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:43 amI'm going to be seriously looking in the direction of a Millie or Bertie next year.
Have you given up on being able to reverse without pushing it then?

sjrixon
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by sjrixon » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:50 pm

Pretty much.. As that's going to be nearly double the cost..

Maybe something for 2021 πŸ˜‰

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:03 pm

Build a kit loco, it's cheaper and rewarding.

sjrixon
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by sjrixon » Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:51 pm

How about dragging up my old thread?

I didn't ever buy a loco. The plan as was last year to spend about 1k on a simple loco with remote control. For that price though, I'm happy to give up reverse from the remote. As I figure without a slowmo fitted, it's not like I'm shunting anyway!

I'm going to the garden railway show in June.. So fingers crossed!

Garethh
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by Garethh » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:59 am

I’d second the previous reply about looking at a kit loco, cheaper, can be done in stages to spread the cost, and you’ll learn a lot about how it works in the process so repairs or modifications in the future will be much easier. Also the roundhouse range are really quite straightforward to build!

sjrixon
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by sjrixon » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:55 am

I do agree.. Maybe for my second live steam loco πŸ˜€. I'd like to get something running quickly, then I can take my time with the next one.