Merlin Leek and Manifold

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
bambuko
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Re: Merlin Leek and Manifold

Post by bambuko » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:48 am

I liked this video, and you have one more subscriber to your youtube channel who looks forward to more :thumbright:

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:12 am

Agree. Very nice looking Loco and the whistle sounds great too.

strettonsteamer
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by strettonsteamer » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:42 pm

This looks very much like the original Merlin L&M prototype. I would need to see an image of the underneath, especially the rear bogie as I put it together. The upper works were all done by Tony Sant, including the boiler, smokebox and body, that is if this is the Merlin prototype and not the Mac Muckley version. Tony originally did an early version of the L&M for another client, which the later version with the raised bunker was based.
This may not be the Merlin version but everything is in the same place as I designed it. More images will help me to confirm it one way or the other.
The Merlin version had its own new chassis so if the frame is all one piece of angle it will be the original. Great to see it what ever version it is. I have always been an admirer of Mac's work.
Regards
Ian Pearse

steamgeorge
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by steamgeorge » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:32 am

Hi Ian - many thanks for posting - that is really interesting information. I'll upload some more images later today for you to have a look at. The frames are both one piece of brass angle for the full length rather than the extended Hunslet chassis as used on Mac's L&M.
When would the Merlin version have been made? Am I correct in saying that the loco never went into production and if not why not?

strettonsteamer
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by strettonsteamer » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:58 am

This sounds like the original prototype as it has the one-piece frames.

The Merlin model was made to 16mm scale and turned out very big, too big for most people! When I did the Pearse Locos model for GRS we did it to 15mm scale , as I think Roundhouse may have also done.

By the time we did this model at Merlin, the company was in a difficult situation so the model never got any further. Neither did the 4-4-0 Kerr Stuart Madras which you show on the cover of the developments brochure. I think Mike Dockery had that prototype and made it into an L&B might-have-been.

I would be very interested to see any more images.

What is the power like? Because the first set of cylinders were not good as there was blow-by on one of the valves, even though it ran sweetly enough.

Ian

strettonsteamer
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by strettonsteamer » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:41 am

Just for info here a couple of images of the Merlin prototype.

Ian
Attachments
Merlin L&M.jpeg
Merlin L&M.jpeg (268.34 KiB) Viewed 7629 times
Merlin L&M2.jpeg
Merlin L&M2.jpeg (319.4 KiB) Viewed 7629 times

steamgeorge
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by steamgeorge » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:45 pm

Amazing Ian - that's definitely it!!! :thumbright: Are they publicity/development archive photos?
IMG_2922.jpeg
IMG_2922.jpeg (84.14 KiB) Viewed 7613 times
Do you recognise this bogie?
IMG_2918.jpeg
IMG_2918.jpeg (95.56 KiB) Viewed 7613 times
IMG_2919.jpeg
IMG_2919.jpeg (96.5 KiB) Viewed 7613 times

It's difficult to judge the performance at this early stage. We steamed it as a familiarisation exercise on our small garden railway on Saturday and ran it at approx 40psi which in hindsight was probably a little low. Our curves are probably not ideal for the this loco's size either. The regulator was a little on/off but it was not pulling a train. Further testing is required when the weather warms up.

Ian - given the choice what livery would you have chosen?

strettonsteamer
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by strettonsteamer » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:19 pm

The photos were taken by my father Don Pearse. They are not copyright or anything. He just used to photograph anything new so we had some images.

As this is the raised bunker loco I think the crimson lake livery would suit it with the single straw coloured lining.

Just out of interest do you know where the loco has been all these years?

Regards

Ian

steamgeorge
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by steamgeorge » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:12 am

Your father did a great job with the photos. Unfortunately I know none of the history of the loco but it would be interesting to find out. It caught my eye at a recent auction in Macclesfield in December where it was described as....

A part constructed brass scratch built live steam train 'E.R. Calthrop', length approx 43cm.
CONDITION REPORT:
As mentioned, part constructed, certainly not a working model, no information known as to the boiler, etc

I'm originally from Stoke-on-Trent and know the Manifold Valley area well so since becoming interested in garden railways a loco from the L&M appealed and although there was only one photo it looked good enough to take a chance on it. Luckily it's turned out well! There was also a rather nice DJB L&B Yeo (again unpainted and possibly built from a kit) that was out of my price range.

When did you last see the loco - was it still at the Merlin factory when you left?

strettonsteamer
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by strettonsteamer » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:24 am

I think the loco was still there in 1986 when Wendy Davies made three of us redundant as 'cost cutting' measures.

She probably sold the model on to raise cash to keep the company afloat. She never liked the L&M model and only liked a model if it was black!

She completely ran the company into the ground. My father and I tried to rescue it in early 1992, but she would not co-operate.

steamgeorge
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by steamgeorge » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:14 am

I'd better not get it painted black then.
Looking at what you have achieved since those days, I wonder if she wishes she had been more co-operative..........

I'll update on the loco's performance after the next run in the garden - I may need to pick your brains again. Mind you, looking at the forecast we may need to attach the snowplough first.

steamgeorge
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by steamgeorge » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:05 pm

Having seen mentions of a possible Leek and Manifold loco being developed in previous Steamlines issues (the period garden railway magazine edited by Merlins Tom Cooper) I saw and purchased issue No3 (Jan/Feb 1986) recently. I thought that there may be a slim chance that it may mention our loco again and it arrived this morning. Well to my amazement I found the following....
IMG_2923.jpeg
IMG_2923.jpeg (101.29 KiB) Viewed 7445 times
Firstly, there is a very interesting article by Ian Pearse describing how the 'Beast' was built. This was Ian's own loco that he designed and built based on an extended Hunslet chassis and in the article reveals how he also used it as a test bed for some ideas that Merlin wished to incorporate in the proposed Leek and Manifold locomotive.
IMG_2924.jpeg
IMG_2924.jpeg (96.45 KiB) Viewed 7445 times
Even better, when I turned to page 45 I found this!
IMG_2925.jpeg
IMG_2925.jpeg (88.1 KiB) Viewed 7445 times
Again, photos by Don Pearse showing our Leek and Manifold. So we've now got some very good early history to add to the story but no record of where it has been all these years until now?

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:10 pm

This is great work guys, glad the forum is helping bring the history of this loco to the public.

TonyW
Driver
Driver

Post by TonyW » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:49 pm

I suggest you contact Derek Wiggins and Keith Skillicorn as they are both "well up" on their heritage loco knowledge.

Steaminnthnsw
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by Steaminnthnsw » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:43 pm

Very interesting read. Nice to see you were able to track down it’s history

steamgeorge
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by steamgeorge » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:29 pm

As promised we took the Merlin for a proper test at our local Reading Group garden railway meeting a couple of weeks ago and I'm pleased to say that it's performance exceeded our expectations.

The venue was Peter and Bruce Dawes superb West Cornwall Light Railway.

Raising steam in the new station area...

IMG_3316.jpeg
IMG_3316.jpeg (133.95 KiB) Viewed 5948 times
IMG_3315.jpeg
IMG_3315.jpeg (125.28 KiB) Viewed 5948 times

In full flight (photo courtesy of Iain Buchanan)...

_DSC1218.jpeg
_DSC1218.jpeg (175.26 KiB) Viewed 5948 times

So all the moving parts received oil and then the burner was lit. It's a little noisier than the Accucraft L&B and it's a relatively large boiler so it took a while to get up to working pressure. Once it did the safety valve opened at 40psi and there was a little condensate to clear with a couple of forwards and backwards runs and then I set off for a full lap. This is a relatively long railway , somewhere in the region of 300 feet per lap and all was well until just after the viaduct when the whole train derailed after tangling with some fast growing Thyme. As it took so long to re-rail the whole train I turned the gas off and it would not re-light while it was so hot. After 5 minutes I tried to re-light it again and this time it did and within a couple of minutes it was up to 30psi and ready to move again. It then ran for 3 or 4 faultless laps which was very pleasing. There is a little steam getting through the disc regulator even when closed so there may be a little work to do there but all in all a very successful outing. There were many kind comments directed it's way from the other group members attending too.

Cooling down in front of the tin mine....
IMG_3325.jpeg
IMG_3325.jpeg (149.42 KiB) Viewed 5948 times
IMG_3326.jpeg
IMG_3326.jpeg (139.84 KiB) Viewed 5948 times

I have a couple of short video clips that I will upload in a few days

tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver

Post by tom_tom_go » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:18 pm

It's a great looking loco, looking forward to videos of her running.

Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver

Post by Soar Valley Light » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:16 pm

Tom's right, that's a lovely machine! I look forward to seeing it develop.

It's a cracking railway too! I wouldn't mind seeing more of that as well.

Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

FWLR
Driver
Driver

Post by FWLR » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:09 am

Hopefully Andrew we will be able to see more of that brilliant looking line and of course your exquisite looking Merlin, George...

She sure does look beautiful. I bet your are so proud to own her.

steamgeorge
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman

Post by steamgeorge » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:02 am

FWLR wrote: ↑Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:09 am Hopefully Andrew we will be able to see more of that brilliant looking line and of course your exquisite looking Merlin, George...

She sure does look beautiful. I bet your are so proud to own her.
Yes of course, it's nice to have something different and it is a lovely looking loco. Mind you I haven't seen a live steam loco I don't like yet!!