Regner Stainz burner issue

Discussion of Live Steam locomotives should be located here
artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Regner Stainz burner issue

Post by artfull dodger » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:43 am

Dealing with a burner issue on my new Regner Stainz. If the smokebox door is closed, the flame does not want to stay on the burner but instead wants to burn about 3/4 of the way up the burner tube where the cross tubes are. Does not matter if the exhaust pipe is up the chimney or not. I tried an air control ring on the air intake side of the burner, that did not help either. The smokebox bottom is completely open, and even the smoke box support on each side is a grate instead of being solid, so plenty of air getting in there and places for the exhaust gases to go be it up/down/sideways! Is she over jetted? I tried swapping with my Konrad, which is very stable(almost Roundhouse stable even) with its burner performance. But that yielded no change on the Stainz. She ran well otherwise as long as the smoke box door is open like 1/16th of an inch. I want to light the front lantern so I need that door shut to protect the bulb and wiring. It also looks odd running with the door ajar. Open to other ideas to try. Next steam up is in late January, so I have some time to work on her. Would wrapping the burner with stainless mesh help? Smaller gas jet?(no clue as to the stock size in it now and Regner uses a much smaller thread diameter than RH or Accucraft). I love the engine, just uncertain which waya to go forward to solve this burner performance issue. Thanks Mike
Silly NT's.....I have Asperger's Syndrome!

artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Re: Regner Stainz burner issue

Post by artfull dodger » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:55 am

I gave it a bodge fix for the moment, with the smokebox door hot from burner heat, I "tweaked" it at the bottom with my flat blade screwdriver. Seems to be pretty stable burner wise. I will let the engine go cold over night, and try again in the morning as the worst of the issues was with a cold engine. btw, the gas tank isnt even close to full, so its not liquid butane flooding the burner, that was the first thing we checked today at the steam up. Mike

daan
Fireman
Fireman

Post by daan » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:22 pm

What I've discovered with my regner is that you need to give the butane tank a rest after filling. Otherwise it will take vapour and liquid gas to the nozzle. The other thing is that you'll need to turn the gas regulator very far down when it's getting warm. Almost closed.

Regner loco's need a bit more attention during running then roundhouses, personally I wouldn't bend any parts or forcing the smokebox door. Since Regner has been bankrupt and are on restart, I'm not sure if you can get any replacements if you'ld break something..
"En schöne Gruess" from an Alpine railway in Holland.

f.schulz
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by f.schulz » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:37 am

Hallo Steamer,

1. Regner is living and has a successor who continue the business. Spare parts are available. New releases and innovations had been presented.
Have a lokk on their HP: http://www.regner-dampftechnik.com/sing ... ommer-2018

2. Burner Issue
We know this problems, they are not real ones, if You have a fine finger feeling with the gas valve. This is very fine to close and it is not very easy to handle.
I had the same problems even with a tuned up opening made smoke box door in my Konrad. Solution was a burner from Herrmann. I am shure he offers a solution.
Alternative You can optimise him by using a gasket into it and add some wholes.

Good luck

Frederic

SKGLB
Cleaner
Cleaner

Post by SKGLB » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:16 am

daan wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:22 pm Since Regner has been bankrupt and are on restart, I'm not sure if you can get any replacements if you'ld break something..
Dead ones live longer

Mike,

I am not sure how well you understand German, in our forum there are countless threads on improvement, problems with Regner machines.

www.schienendampf.com

Like this,
f.schulz wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:37 am Alternative You can optimise him by using a gasket into it and add some wholes.
Greetings from Austria,
Gerald ;)

artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by artfull dodger » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:42 pm

The problem has been solved with some help from another forum. On the Stainz engine, the frame is enclosed to simulate the "well tank" design of the prototype. However there is an opening from the underframe area into the cab right under the burner. This allows the exhaust gases to travel from the bottom of the smokebox to the cab, starving the burner air intakes for oxygen. I sealed this opening with special alum tape used for commerical duct work. This stopped all problems with the burner and allowed the smoke box door to be closed tight. Yes, Regners tend to need a bit more attention than Roundhouses, but no worse than any of the Asters I have owned or watch run at steam ups. I will add another RH Billy to my stable when $$ permits, perhaps next year. The Stainz got plenty of run time at a local steam up just over a week ago. Like the prototype, its happy with 2 or 3 of the two axle passenger coaches, any more than that and she gets slippery. Mike the Aspie

Keith S
Driver
Driver

Post by Keith S » Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:04 am

What a peculiar and unexpected solution. Well done for working it out. Now perhaps we can see a video.

daan
Fireman
Fireman

Post by daan » Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:53 pm

artfull dodger wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:42 pm ... However there is an opening from the underframe area into the cab right under the burner. This allows the exhaust gases to travel from the bottom of the smokebox to the cab, starving the burner air intakes for oxygen...
Clever find, wouldn't occur to me to seek that way when having problems with a burner..! Thanks for sharing..
"En schöne Gruess" from an Alpine railway in Holland.

artfull dodger
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver

Post by artfull dodger » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:02 pm

The Chimney is very narrow at the bottom(think an old school loud hailer) so most of the exhaust gases go downward. The sides of the smoke box support above the frame are like a heater grate to allow heat/fumes to escape. But most end up under the engine. On your usual Roundhouse, the frame is open on the top and bottom, not so on the Stainz. So its a horizontal chimney with an opening right into the cab. Video soon. Mike the Aspie